Hurricanes 5 Oilers 3

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Different style of play and tactics. Canes are a counter team. Fairly classic NZ type team that likes to punish opponents for their mistakes and thus pouncing on odd man dangerous situations and turnovers. Invariably those lead to dangerous scoring chances and not necessarily a lot of shots. On one sequence the Canes had 3 good scoring chances and no shots. So that the stats don't reflect that. Conversely the Oilers are a goal scoring struggling club that are being told to put everything to the net. Thus a lot of harmless shots.

Myself I think the scoring chances overall were fairly equal but its always harder trailing.
But you also think rnh is partially at fault for the first goal

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But you also think rnh is partially at fault for the first goal
McLellan was similarly disgusted with the start of the game, the first shift, and specifically pointed out that on the very first shift we got players pinching. He used plural, not singular.

Heres the thing as I see it. The team lost 6-1 the other night. This after a week off in which they discussed nothing but playing sounder hockey and not cheating. Then they have two days off to discuss it some more. So McLellan puts out the best players he figures he can trust and set the tone for the right way to play the game plan and model that and instead what happens on the first shift?

That's why it drives me up the bend and McLellan was disappointed with the teams start, the first period, etc. as well. It is called giving up on the game plan. Usually that occurs well into a game as the team gets frustrated and goes back to bad habits. The games, at least for very good clubs, don't usually start that way.

Against a counter team it is IMPERATIVE that you have numbers back consistently. You can't not do that and expect to win.

From the first shift the Oilers fed right into the Canes gameplan.

Last edited:

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton
McLellan was similarly disgusted with the start of the game, the first shift, and specifically pointed out that on the very first shift we got players pinching. He used plural, not singular.

Heres the thing as I see it. The team lost 6-1 the other night. This after a week off in which they discussed nothing but playing sounder hockey and not cheating. Then they have two days off to discuss it some more. So McLellan puts out the best players he figures he can trust and set the tone for the right way to play the game plan and model that and instead what happens on the first shift?

That's why it drives me up the bend and McLellan was disappointed with the teams start, the first period, etc. as well. It is called giving up on the game plan. Usually that occurs well into a game as the team gets frustrated and goes back to bad habits. The games, at least for very good clubs, don't usually start that way.

Against a counter team it is IMPERATIVE that you have numbers back consistently. You can't not do that and expect to win.

From the first shift the Oilers fed right into the Canes gameplan.
The only problem with this attitude is its hindsight, if Klef/RNH make that pinch and we score 20 seconds it, we'd have 20 articles going on about how we came out with jump and fire and took it to the other team from the very beginning by playing our aggressive game etc

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The only problem with this attitude is its hindsight, if Klef/RNH make that pinch and we score 20 seconds it, we'd have 20 articles going on about how we came out with jump and fire and took it to the other team from the very beginning by playing our aggressive game etc

Its completely fair to have different pov on how to play the game. Teams win different ways. But when you play a team that excels at the counter your best chance of competing against that club is to wait them out and have numbers back. Its conventional wisdom not to give that team a multiple goal lead.

But trailing any club by 3 goals is bad news. Allowing 4 goals on average a night is bad news. I just don't blame it on the goaltending at present. This team has managed to make even Talbot look bad.

Finally, is it true that the Oilers win by playing an aggressive game or a disciplined controlled game in which they see opportunities that are valid, and spring on them but only when the probability is good. Or do the Oilers play aggressively with a controlled forcheck, not bring the house, and put pressure on that way. I think when the Oilers are having success its generally the latter. Force opponents with controlled pressure, have numbers back, then pinch to support offense when we possess the puck.

thanks for the reply

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here is one question I have about the first shift of the game as it came up on Gregor's show yesterday. Why isn't your #1 line starting? Gregor brought it up saying don't you have to give the start to your top line. Seems to happen more often than not.

McDavid's line should start every period. Plain and simple.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd love to give the team the benefit of the doubt, but then the very next shift Nurse did the samething. I just don't get how a team that has had some defensive struggles chooses the high risk plays that they do.

When they played simple they had the puck and got a lot of rubber on Ward. Teams that are struggling shouldn't try to over think the game and should just play simple hockey.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I'd love to give the team the benefit of the doubt, but then the very next shift Nurse did the samething. I just don't get how a team that has had some defensive struggles chooses the high risk plays that they do.

When they played simple they had the puck and got a lot of rubber on Ward. Teams that are struggling shouldn't try to over think the game and should just play simple hockey.

I think a lot of that crap is guys trying to make something out of nothing so they make bad decisions because they focus too much on trying to get that goal they need.

I actually wish I had a little more time to rewatch the goals against (esp the Klef ones) so I could have a better idea if they're trying too hard or just brain dead... it's a fine line ;)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Here is one question I have about the first shift of the game as it came up on Gregor's show yesterday. Why isn't your #1 line starting? Gregor brought it up saying don't you have to give the start to your top line. Seems to happen more often than not.

McDavid's line should start every period. Plain and simple.
the RNH line seems to start the game more often than the McDavid line

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes he referenced that a few times. They have some sort of goal they have for points in each segment and bank or fall behind the goal as they go.
So tomorrow is the start of a new segment. Clean slate.
Lets hope they win this block.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So tomorrow is the start of a new segment. Clean slate.
Lets hope they win this block.
Yeah if I remember correct they try to get 6 points per segment which gives them 96 points at the end of the year (2 bonus games in there) which is good for the playoffs

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like the idea of 7 game segments... so it's like you are playing constant playoff series one after another. Once you either lose or win 4 of 7 it's on to the next one.

So they lost this one 4-1.

A new best of 7 starts fresh next game... hopefully with better results this time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad