Hurricanes 5 Oilers 3

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes because players never get tangled up and fall on faceoffs. Damn you Nuge for falling down and having a bigger man fall on you!
They're invariably always bigger and stronger men. In each instance last night Nuge failed to stand up to it, excuse pun. ;)

Staal intended to do that. Its a tactic he has employed before to take the opposition center out of the play. He's even done that to Nuge before. It was not accidental, and not obvious enough interference to warrant a penalty. But he gained the advantage there and parlayed that into the deciding goal in the game. In what was a defensive zone faceoff for him with his club clinging to a one goal lead. What Staal did on that play, and in this game defines leadership. The kind of leadership that befits captaincy.

In pro sports its the inches like this that result in wins or losses. Not to sound too much like Al Pacino.

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
With how Klefbom is struggling, I'm not getting why Auvitu isn't getting some PP looks.
It's really weird because Auvitu's main assets are his quick shot / smart offensive play
He was formerly a forward before to play as a D-man and he really has value on a PP unit

Maybe one of the only reason he should be on the ice and he's not used for what he does best

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's really weird because Auvitu's main assets are his quick shot / smart offensive play
He was formerly a forward before to play as a D-man and he really has value on a PP unit

Maybe one of the only reason he should be on the ice and he's not used for what he does best
If it wasn't for Benning becoming ill, Auvitu wasn't even going to play. TM probably not looking to reward guys that were horrid the game before.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Complete left field comment, but I wonder if the only reason we were able to sign Malone was because his fiancé committed to going to school in Bakersfield. Kinda funny if his plan was to sign with us knowing he'd end up in Bakersfield and then all of sudden he becomes a #13 forward for the Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Complete left field comment, but I wonder if the only reason we were able to sign Malone was because his fiancé committed to going to school in Bakersfield. Kinda funny if his plan was to sign with us knowing he'd end up in Bakersfield and then all of sudden he becomes a #13 forward for the Oilers.
He may be #13, and had dropped to the AHL, but his fiancé is sure no curse and she's taking a masters degree.

I think he could be winning at life.

Is it wrong that I replayed the fiancé segment 3 times last night? I dunno.

jk aside, or maybe I'm not but ever since Eakins it sometimes seems Oilers spouses are hire factors..In that case clearly the better half.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He may be #13, and had dropped to the AHL, but his fiancé is sure no curse and she's taking a masters degree.

I think he could be winning at life.

Is it wrong that I replayed the fiancé segment 3 times last night? I dunno.
Oh I agree the guy has a lot going for him right now. He probably was going into the year thinking his NHL career is over, but he's going to be given a legit shot now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh I agree the guy has a lot going for him right now. He probably was going into the year thinking his NHL career is over, but he's going to be given a legit shot now.

I'm thinking it must be Christmas every day for him. ;)

Albeit to spend nights away must be hard, no wait, difficult, I mean difficult. ;)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It must be awful making 42m here and very little accountability for any of it.

The second the Oilers got McDavid accountability for any forward on this team went out the window. It's his team and the Oilers will only go as far as he takes them.

I personally think RNH is a bust, he will clearly never put up numbers to justify being 1OA. Maybe with the right coaching he can become "Kadri" like but I don't know if he has it in him.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The forward line combos are fine. You're not going to get any better than that without Leon.

The first pairing on D needs to play a heck out a lot better, and that was a bad game to gamble on Broissoit. Maybe Talbs would've gotten one of his big game nights and kept 1-2 of those goals out and that's the difference.

It's not LB's fault, but LB is not someone who right now looks to me like someone who can steal a game.

This, last nights stats look awful for LB, but I seen maybe one goal that you could argue he could have had, our defense was awful, couldn't handle basic coverage and hung him out to dry. Our d was not even AHL level last night, no one could move the puck up the ice or take a man. I thought Russel was the only pass for an AHLer, he had a couple alright plays. Klefbom and Larsson were terrible, one of the worst games I've ever seen by a D pair

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Have to admit, I think we missed the boat on Pickard. Brossoit looks disinterested

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Have to admit, I think we missed the boat on Pickard. Brossoit looks disinterested

Pickard would have been a great upgrade for the backup spot. What seperate's an average goalie from a good goalie is their ability to make a save when it matters. LB couldn't do that and killed any momentum the team was building. Right now LB is just a dime a dozen backup with probably no chance of ever being an NHL starter, Pickard at least has the potential to be a starter.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The fire Chiarelli squad at this point of the season is downright embarrassing. Like if you think Chia should be fired for keeping most of the team that made it to the second round, you must also think Gorton should be fired for the abysmal start because he signed Shatt and bought out Giarardi. Or that Bowman was a genius for putting a bunch of question marks in this lineup and they have gone 4-1-1. Cause you know, sample size or something like that...
I'm not advocating for anyone getting fired but it makes me laugh every time I see an Oiler
fan referring to last season as such a success that no improvements were needed.
It was great to be in the playoffs again but we won one round against a team with significant injuries.
Unless the goal is the second round we weren't good enough. Improvements were required.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pickard would have been a great upgrade for the backup spot. What seperate's an average goalie from a good goalie is their ability to make a save when it matters. LB couldn't do that and killed any momentum the team was building. Right now LB is just a dime a dozen backup with probably no chance of ever being an NHL starter, Pickard at least has the potential to be a starter.
LB gave up on the team as much as the defense gave up on him. We need a back up who can take Talbot's place when he has an off night or at the very least make some crucial saves.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This team last year was mainly based on outstanding goaltending. Without that we are seeing the affects.

This team isn't good enough to allow multiple goals per game and win games.

Also shots don't really mean anything to me. If you are down multiple goals you will be chasing the game and out shoot your opponent every time. Especially when down 2 5 mins into the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The look last night was a combination of bemused and perplexed. As Oilers trailed the play on almost every GA and were caught up ice Brossoit gave knowing looks at them, knowing that this exact thing had been talked about for the last 2 weeks if not more than that. He's privy to the coaching, privy to the drills, and knows the team is NOT doing what its been told.

I'll tell you as well that I like Jonathan Quick. But even Quick will try less hard to make a stop in a game where he knows the people in front of him are not doing their job. He'll work hard and like his life depends on it if people are ADHERING to system play. The moment they decide to go rogue and their play is going to constantly implode in odd man rushes against theres little point in a goalie trying to put a finger in that dam. That just results in more bad habits of the players playing in front of the netminder.

Brossoit watched the players on this team fail the agreed to system of play on the very first shift. That's in textbook terms called "quitting the system, again on the first shift in a hockey game.

It would be hard for a goalie to have any more than contempt for the how club is playing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This team last year was mainly based on outstanding goaltending. Without that we are seeing the affects.

This team isn't good enough to allow multiple goals per game and win games.

Also shots don't really mean anything to me. If you are down multiple goals you will be chasing the game and out shoot your opponent every time. Especially when down 2 5 mins into the game.

Talbot had the best goalie performance last year that I had ever seen in my life here in terms of a collective body of work. Cujo has been better in the playoffs, but this was the best ENTIRE season that any Oilers goalie had ever played. I've seen em all.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Klefbom won't stay this awful, he just won't. So I do not worry about that.
Goaltending for us cannot possibly get worse, nor do I expect Talbot to remain poor long term
Goaltending against us cannot possibly get better - Ward .941 last night was worst sv % of any goalie we have faced, which is insane.
Second lowest shot % for cannot possibly get worse
PDO is at 94.5, lowest PDO recorded in the last 5 years has been 96.6.

We are dealing with some very, very weird extremes right now. Are they playing great? Not really. But they aren't horrifically bad either. Warranted record is probably 2-3 or even 3-2

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A big save would have been nice, sure, but LB didn't really have much chance on any of the goals against.

If I did have one grip against him it's the fact he stays frozen for a good 5 seconds in the butterfly after a shot beats him for a goal. It always strikes me as if he has a hard time just letting it go and moving on.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The look last night was a combination of bemused and perplexed. As Oilers trailed the play on almost every GA and were caught up ice Brossoit gave knowing looks at them, knowing that this exact thing had been talked about for the last 2 weeks if not more than that. He's privy to the coaching, privy to the drills, and knows the team is NOT doing what its been told.

I'll tell you as well that I like Jonathan Quick. But even Quick will try less hard to make a stop in a game where he knows the people in front of him are not doing their job. He'll work hard and like his life depends on it if people are ADHERING to system play. The moment they decide to go rogue and their play is going to constantly implode in odd man rushes against theres little point in a goalie trying to put a finger in that dam. That just results in more bad habits of the players playing in front of the netminder.

Brossoit watched the players on this team fail the agreed to system of play on the very first shift. That's in textbook terms called "quitting the system, again on the first shift in a hockey game.

It would be hard for a goalie to have any more than contempt for the how club is playing.
LB is a back up goalie fighting for a NHL job. What makes him decide when he should try and when not to? Quick carried his team to 2 championships and has earned that respect. When teams are playing poorly, goalies do let them know and that's fine. LB hasn't earned that respect yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad