Hurricanes 5 Oilers 3

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Klefbom won't stay this awful, he just won't. So I do not worry about that.
Goaltending for us cannot possibly get worse, nor do I expect Talbot to remain poor long term
Goaltending against us cannot possibly get better - Ward .941 last night was worst sv % of any goalie we have faced, which is insane.
Second lowest shot % for cannot possibly get worse
PDO is at 94.5, lowest PDO recorded in the last 5 years has been 96.6.

We are dealing with some very, very weird extremes right now. Are they playing great? Not really. But they aren't horrifically bad either. Warranted record is probably 2-3 or even 3-2
The only thing that sucks is we haven't even been completely outplayed or dominated yet and we already have 4 losses.

Maybe that will be our first win, in a game where we generate nothing for shots and chances lol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Klefbom won't stay this awful, he just won't. So I do not worry about that.
Goaltending for us cannot possibly get worse, nor do I expect Talbot to remain poor long term
Goaltending against us cannot possibly get better - Ward .941 last night was worst sv % of any goalie we have faced, which is insane.
Second lowest shot % for cannot possibly get worse
PDO is at 94.5, lowest PDO recorded in the last 5 years has been 96.6.

We are dealing with some very, very weird extremes right now. Are they playing great? Not really. But they aren't horrifically bad either. Warranted record is probably 2-3 or even 3-2

PDO doesn't work anymore due to how they have changed what is now qualified as a shot.

Shooting % will be lower this year.

Reactions: OilCountry93

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
LB is a back up goalie fighting for a NHL job. What makes him decide when he should try and when not to? Quick carried his team to 2 championships and has earned that respect. When teams are playing poorly, goalies do let them know and that's fine. LB hasn't earned that respect yet.

Oh for sure, that's fair comment, I wasn't making it as a comparison of any sort. Quick is all world, one of the very best. Just saying its part of a goalies psyche, or particular goalies depending on their personality, to approach play somewhat differently based on whether the team is system committed. The goalie is the first to notice when the club has pulled the plug on system.

I'm not saying LB should have a sarcastic questioning look on his face after every goal last night suggesting "where were you". I'm saying it happened.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This team last year was mainly based on outstanding goaltending. Without that we are seeing the affects.

This team isn't good enough to allow multiple goals per game and win games.
Most teams rely on outstanding goaltending. Washington, Pittsburgh, NYR, etc. The teams that didn't have it, the Flames, the Jets, all were less than last year.

All teams aren't good enough to allow multiple goal games. If the point is that the goaltending needs to be better and that subpar goaltending is an concern? Then I agree completely. However, if the point is the team sucks because without high end goaltending they don't win, that's a simple reality of hockey.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Advanced stats tell you the story you want to hear. My eyes tell me "Idiotic defense, anemic offense, awful special teams, subpar goaltending".
You know what stat I would like to see?

Ongoing and game per game tallies of odd man rushes allowed. I'd bet that seasonal totals of that gained vs allowed would be more predictive of winning and losing than corsi. It would say that application to solid system play, and keeping numbers back is more important than padding shot counts.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Most teams rely on outstanding goaltending. Washington, Pittsburgh, NYR, etc. The teams that didn't have it, the Flames, the Jets, all were less than last year.

All teams aren't good enough to allow multiple goal games. If the point is that the goaltending needs to be better and that subpar goaltending is an concern? Then I agree completely. However, if the point is the team sucks because without high end goaltending they don't win, that's a simple reality of hockey.

You think teams like pitt and washington can't win with average to below average goalie play from time to time?

I don't think the Oilers can win without Vezina caliber goaltending with how they are currently built.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You think teams like pitt and washington can't win with average to below average goalie play from time to time?

I don't think the Oilers can win without Vezina caliber goaltending with how they are currently built.
:facepalm:

Ah, so you're in the team was a fluke last year, see guys camp. It's not how they're built, because they aren't even getting average goaltending right now, if we're being intellectually honest. The team hasn't been good enough defensively either.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I say they were a bubble team last year. They had some strong indivij performances and luck with rivals getting banged up.

They should get better this year but we shouldn't be surprised they are struggling without sekera and ppg mcdavid. Most importantly goalies won't let them get hot --at both ends.

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
When you start from behind the 8-ball, and then when the team finally gets it together the D and G just let more get by them, you were kind of in tough. Klef on the 4-3 goal and Brossoit on the 5-3 really need to pick it up. Slightly tighter game from those two and we may be talking about how we finally pulled it out and got back on track.

It's a good indicator at the level of frustration here - people are actually blaming McDavid. Yeah, alright then.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You know what stat I would like to see?

Ongoing and game per game tallies of odd man rushes allowed. I'd bet that seasonal totals of that gained vs allowed would be more predictive of winning and losing than corsi. It would say that application to solid system play, and keeping numbers back is more important than padding shot counts.
I tried looking up some of this the other day and found nothing. We only lost by a goal against the Canucks but I remember many, many odd man rushes and breakaways for Vancouver.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I was ranting about Eakins hockey a bit, but this makes me think twice:

Actually not doing bad at getting good shots 5v5.

Put this together for fun:
Smith:
vs Oilers this year: 0.955
Overall this year: 0.929
Career: 0.913

Markstrom:
vs Oilers this year: 0.943
Overall this year: 0.902
Career: 0.905

Hellebuyck:
vs Oilers this year: 0.949
Overall this year: 0.937
Career: 0.912

Condon:
vs Oilers this year: 0.972
Overall this year: only 1 GP
Career: 0.909

Ward:
vs Oilers this year: 0.941

Our goalies:
Talbot: 0.880 this year, career 0.921
LB: 0.854 this year, career 0.904, granted a very short one.

Hockey gods are dicks. Of course the majority of this problem is the Oilers own fault. Goalies not sharp, D allowing golden chances against.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I was ranting about Eakins hockey a bit, but this makes me think twice:

Actually not doing bad at getting good shots 5v5.

Put this together for fun:
Smith:
vs Oilers this year: 0.955
Overall this year: 0.929
Career: 0.913

Markstrom:
vs Oilers this year: 0.943
Overall this year: 0.902
Career: 0.905

Hellebuyck:
vs Oilers this year: 0.949
Overall this year: 0.937
Career: 0.912

Condon:
vs Oilers this year: 0.972

Ward:
vs Oilers this year: 0.941

Our goalies:
Talbot: 0.880 this year, career 0.921
LB: 0.854 this year, career 0.904, granted a very short one.

Hockey gods are dicks. Of course the majority of this problem is the Oilers own fault. Goalies not sharp, D allowing golden chances against.

yes, their PDO is at historic lows right now...basically the new LA Kings

I take the "shot differential" with a grain of salt though...since they're behind in so many games, they have no choice but to play catch-up and pepper the oppositions goalie

the Canes' played a great road game last night and their goalie was better than ours

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not even remotely worried. The team absolutely dominated big portions last night. Goalies are not going to play like this all season and shots will start going in.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
yes, their PDO is at historic lows right now...basically the new LA Kings

I take the "shot differential" with a grain of salt though...since they're behind in so many games, they have no choice but to play catch-up and pepper the oppositions goalie

the Canes' played a great road game last night and their goalie was better than ours

Funny how the Kings can't seem to miss this year now, with the same team. I really hope we aren't in store for a full 16/17 Kings season.

Definitely some score effects at play that put it at the top in almost every shot/shot attempt category, but even putting in the score/venue adjustments on sites, we are still right near the top in shots/high danger chance %.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LB gave up on the team as much as the defense gave up on him. We need a back up who can take Talbot's place when he has an off night or at the very least make some crucial saves.
I know that you can make a case for every goal that LB was let down somehow. And I don't know that the defense gave up on him. He had 21 shots against, so yes they gave up some bad chances but they also kept his overall work load way down. There were plays that prevented chances you just don't notice them as much as you do when a goal is scored against. At some point the goalies have to do something to show that they are doing their part, and right now they aren't.

The forwards had 51 shots and 3 goals, defense allowed 21 shots. What good did LB do last night?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad