Humboldt BRONCOS-SJHL Hockey Team involved in serious bus crash on way to playoff game in Nipawin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll have to tune it, that's going to be some kind of heavy and cathartic all at the same time
The lady friend thinks I'm avoiding her as this game came out up rather quickly.

Monday- Football
Tuesday - ???
Wednesday - Hockey
Thursday - Football
Friday - Birthday with cousin
Saturday - Drinking with the guys from work
Sunday - Football

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Standing O for TSN to broadcast this game and send their 'A' list broadcasters to call the game and perform the pregame show.

Excuse me, but I have to give the wife shit for cutting onions. Eyes are already getting watery for some reason watching this Rishaug special on two of the surviving players who are playing tonight.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Wonderful way to close this chapter in Humbolts Hockey history

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Standing O for TSN to broadcast this game and send their 'A' list broadcasters to call the game and perform the pregame show.

Excuse me, but I have to give the wife **** for cutting onions. Eyes are already getting watery for some reason watching this Rishaug special on two of the surviving players who are playing tonight.
Yep it was great.

Things I really enjoyed;

No corporate feel at all. When the game was on it felt like watching a good old prairie Junior hockey game.

Cuthbert and Ferraro did an excellent job know who was on what team and had a lot of good intel on the players. Hat tip to them and whoever helped them with this. It's one thing to know guys numbers, but to know how they did last year, how many years of experience they have and then to talk about the guys future plans was great.

Really like that the was no TSN or Sportsnet or CBC. It was one team. Allowing Maclean and Cherry to have a segment was a class act.

The pre-game, the intermission and the post game ceremonies just amazing. Good on TSN from trying to pan away when players/families/fans were breaking down. In today's day in age it seems to be something that is over looked, but TSN did a good job at letting people have their private moments.

I really don't know what was all Rishaug, but sounds like he's done a lot since the accident and has keep up with the story. Good on him for doing such a good job.

Most importantly we need to thank the players, families and Humboldt for letting us in. I never thought I'd pay attention to a team in the SJHL, but they will be a team I'm now a fan of.

Things I disliked;

Thought I'd never say this, but no commercials was kind of a pain in the ass. I didn't want to miss anything and really let the bladder work last night.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This completely, I also give the utmost credit to the Play by Play crew, who treated the game as normally as possible, giving both teams their due during the broadcast. Special night.

Reactions: McFuhryous

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
What a special night to be at; I honestly couldn’t tell you much about the game, as it didn’t really seem to matter. I recorded the game and look forward to actually sitting down and watching the play without being totally absorbed in the moment. My 7 year old son has been to a few Oilers/Roughriders/Rush games, and you could tell that tonight’s return of the Broncos meant far more than any other event I’ve ever taken him to. I sincerely hope somewhere the game is archived and available for download, so I have a digital copy to keep long term.

This team hasn’t seen a crowd like that since we hosted the Royal Bank Cup, and the media storm was tenfold for this.

Maybe it was the fact that everything felt so numb after April 6th, the media was everywhere then also; but they felt far more noticeable to me the past few days. But kudos to TSN for respecting the privacy of the community and families; while still providing a big league level production.

What I can say; I know the community, a lot of the families affected by the tragedy and of the new team, really hope that this game will provide somewhat of a bookend to this horrible tragedy. While the accident will constantly be a part of this team and community, it’s time to let these families heal and for hockey to just become hockey.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What a special night to be at; I honestly couldn’t tell you much about the game, as it didn’t really seem to matter. I recorded the game and look forward to actually sitting down and watching the play without being totally absorbed in the moment. My 7 year old son has been to a few Oilers/Roughriders/Rush games, and you could tell that tonight’s return of the Broncos meant far more than any other event I’ve ever taken him to. I sincerely hope somewhere the game is archived and available for download, so I have a digital copy to keep long term.

This team hasn’t seen a crowd like that since we hosted the Royal Bank Cup, and the media storm was tenfold for this.

Maybe it was the fact that everything felt so numb after April 6th, the media was everywhere then also; but they felt far more noticeable to me the past few days. But kudos to TSN for respecting the privacy of the community and families; while still providing a big league level production.

What I can say; I know the community, a lot of the families affected by the tragedy and of the new team, really hope that this game will provide somewhat of a bookend to this horrible tragedy. While the accident will constantly be a part of this team and community, it’s time to let these families heal and for hockey to just become hockey.

That is awesome, I'm so glad you were able to make the game! I couldn't remember your user name but I was hoping you would have been able to attend the game. I bet it was a surreal game to attend. I think it was the right decision to put a Broncos team on the ice for this season, I really believe it will allow the community to heal and start looking forward and not backwards.

Camrud is a hell of a hockey player.

Reactions: Mcjlockhart89

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
That is awesome, I'm so glad you were able to make the game! I couldn't remember your user name but I was hoping you would have been able to attend the game. I bet it was a surreal game to attend. I think it was the right decision to put a Broncos team on the ice for this season, I really believe it will allow the community to heal and start looking forward and not backwards.

Camrud is a hell of a hockey player.
I’ve been fortunate enough to attend lot of sporting events in my 29 years, including games 1 and 2 of the Oilers playoffs vs the Sharks, I don’t say this lightly, but in terms of personal memory and feelings; nothing will ever hold a candle to last night. And you’re absolutely right, I don’t think anyone in this community or the families affected could’ve stomached if this team didn’t return.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I’ve been fortunate enough to attend lot of sporting events in my 29 years, including games 1 and 2 of the Oilers playoffs vs the Sharks, I don’t say this lightly, but in terms of personal memory and feelings; nothing will ever hold a candle to last night. And you’re absolutely right, I don’t think anyone in this community or the families affected could’ve stomached if this team didn’t return.

Junior A teams are definitely a key ingredient of the glue that bonds small town hockey communities together. I believe I said this earlier in this thread right after the accident happened, but having grown up about an hour north of Humboldt, a Broncos game was the first game my dad took me to see live and in person and I still recall bits and pieces of that night. Even though Melfort eventually got a team in the late 80's (where I went to junior high and high school), the Broncos have always been my favorite team in the SJHL and always will be.

Here's to a very successful Broncos 18-19 (and beyond) hockey season!! :cheers:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Standing O to TSN, very well done job to let people that have been connected to this tragedy watch it. Just amazing coverage last night.

To the little city of Humboldt, you guys did a amazing job of everything last night also, all the volunteers to make everything happen, was noticed in a big way last night. Well done and Thanks

To everyone else #HumboldtStrong #Forever

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I missed the game this week unfortunately, but I have been past the accident scene several times this summer and there is very seldom not someone there looking at the memorials.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I missed the game this week unfortunately, but I have been past the accident scene several times this summer and there is very seldom not someone there looking at the memorials.
I was wondering about this after Joseph was talking about going there on the weekend for his son's birthday. The memorial site itself starts to become a hazard.

Have they done anything to improve the road? Considering that it's becoming a visited site I'd hope that they make it a 4-way stop.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I was wondering about this after Joseph was talking about going there on the weekend for his son's birthday. The memorial site itself starts to become a hazard.

Have they done anything to improve the road? Considering that it's becoming a visited site I'd hope that they make it a 4-way stop.
All they've done is put up a flashing light from the east. And temporarily slowed traffic on the north-south road to 60kph due to the extra traffic around. No trees cut yet or anything.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All they've done is put up a flashing light from the east. And temporarily slowed traffic on the north-south road to 60kph due to the extra traffic around. No trees cut yet or anything.
Trees may never get cut. Not as long as someone lives in that house. Unless of course the homeowner cuts them, which I doubt they will.

If you are living there you'd fight to keep those trees. Not just for the noise reduction, but for safety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad