Humboldt BRONCOS-SJHL Hockey Team involved in serious bus crash on way to playoff game in Nipawin

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
How common are these types of accidents in Canada.
Mainly I mean what kind of road section this accident happen.
Hopefully the cause of the accident can be clarified and be held responsible for his work.

Here in Finland happened 14 yrs ago ( 2004) a bit similar traffic accident when bus and
a full trailer truck loaded with paper collided in Konginkangas.
In that accident 23 peoples died and 14 injured seriously.

Konginkangas bus and paper truck collision is still the most serious road traffic accident in Finland.
And this Humboldt Broncos accident bring some memories of that accident.

I live in NS and it happened to my area in 1983 in a Bantam AAA car accident returning from tourney in NB. Three players and a mom killed. I played with or against all them before this accident.

10 years ago, 8 basketball players from Bathurst NB were killed near Bathurst returning from a tourney.

Swift Current accident happened in @1986 I believe and 4 players killed.

It devestates the area for a long, long time. This accident is very painful

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
There’s a post on the main board thread that says that Tyler Beiber, the Bronco broadcaster, was a poster here from back a while named Yzerman19.

If I remember correctly, he was often a poster on HFOil.

This is correct, I was a longtime friend, and graduated with Tyler, and he had an absolute passion for all things sports.

I just want to acknowledge the ongoing support from everyone accross our province, country and world. Whether it's reaching out with posts online, donations made to the victims go fund me page, or the vigils held across communities and cities in our great country. It's been an absolutely horrific last 3 days, but the support has been amazing.

Thank You.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
This is correct, I was a longtime friend, and graduated with Tyler, and he had an absolute passion for all things sports.

I just want to acknowledge the ongoing support from everyone accross our province, country and world. Whether it's reaching out with posts online, donations made to the victims go fund me page, or the vigils held across communities and cities in our great country. It's been an absolutely horrific last 3 days, but the support has been amazing.

Thank You.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC

Thank You.

Really sorry to hear this is accurate.

All the best to you and to everyone touched by this unspeakable tragedy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those talking donor cards you need to also have a living will where you more or less breakdown the quality of life and what your wishes are and what levels of effort you want when things get back. If not, it will be up to your immediate family and some of them will be in no shape to decide or will think they see things that are not there. Sadly I went through this about ten years ago

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone hear if the Oilers will be auctioning off the helmets with the decals they used honoring the individuals who lost their lives?

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Haven't heard a lot mentioned about Dayna Brons, the team trainer who was also on the bus and in hospital. All the best to her as she is a big part of the team that often goes unnoticed.

Hockey world sends prayers to Humboldt Broncos trainer Dayna Brons who remains in hospital

It's tough that the number of those in critical condition went from 3 to 2 to 4. I had read about Dayna as being one of the injured but this article is the first to say what condition she is in.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
As for all those still in hospital, I wonder how many may are awake and alert. If a critical condition patient is still unconscious or in a coma, then I worry about them.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The whole sticks out on front porch for Humboldt thing is a great thought and all. I just wonder how many of these sticks will be stolen.

I'm sure there are other ways you can show you're thinking about these people than putting your stick on the front porch for someone to grab.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The whole sticks out on front porch for Humboldt thing is a great thought and all. I just wonder how many of these sticks will be stolen.

I'm sure there are other ways you can show you're thinking about these people than putting your stick on the front porch for someone to grab.

They wont get stolen. It’s just the boys using them for a game of shinny.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I mean I guess, I find it endearing, a lot of people are putting them out with candles. It feels like the kind of thing that grew organically. Someone wanted to show support, but didn't know the right way, came up with the sticks and it's just perfect, imo.

I saw Gord Miller (and others) leave head sets out as well for Bieber to call the game. Not to be glib, but just all the feels, seriously.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Haven't heard a lot mentioned about Dayna Brons, the team trainer who was also on the bus and in hospital. All the best to her as she is a big part of the team that often goes unnoticed.

Hockey world sends prayers to Humboldt Broncos trainer Dayna Brons who remains in hospital

Watching many of these guys like Todd and Mike Babcock really impressed me. I really liked how he referred to "the real world" rather than the hockey world. Also singling out Dayna Brons like that. It demonstrates their intelligence and leadership.

St. Albert kid here, my Mom's from a farm near St. Gregor ~15 minutes drive from Humboldt. Regardless I'm missing the Canadian Prairies so much right now as this tragedy is stuck in my head. Only solution is watching videos and listening to Wheat Kings on repeat...

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Watching many of these guys like Todd and Mike Babcock really impressed me. I really liked how he referred to "the real world" rather than the hockey world. Also singling out Dayna Brons like that. It demonstrates their intelligence and leadership.

St. Albert kid here, my Mom's from a farm near St. Gregor ~15 minutes drive from Humboldt. Regardless I'm missing the Canadian Prairies so much right now as this tragedy is stuck in my head. Only solution is watching videos and listening to Wheat Kings on repeat...

Amen, we take this hockey stuff so seriously and forget that most of these players (even in the NHL) are so young that they are not even legal age in many places.

When something like this happens we realize that life is very precious and ultimately hockey is just a game that once was played just for fun.

Reactions: SaltNPeca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->