Humboldt BRONCOS-SJHL Hockey Team involved in serious bus crash on way to playoff game in Nipawin

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
The whole sticks out on front porch for Humboldt thing is a great thought and all. I just wonder how many of these sticks will be stolen.

I'm sure there are other ways you can show you're thinking about these people than putting your stick on the front porch for someone to grab.

Really? This is the biggest concern in your life?

Reactions: BlackDogg

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The whole sticks out on front porch for Humboldt thing is a great thought and all. I just wonder how many of these sticks will be stolen.

I'm sure there are other ways you can show you're thinking about these people than putting your stick on the front porch for someone to grab.
Maybe a few here and there, but it's not really any different than having lawn furniture in terms of theft potential. Not to mention the people who do steal the sticks are right there in the human garbage line right next to the people who steal change from the Salvation Army trays.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
We are social creatures and are great at coming together during tragedy. The amount of money raised in such a short time makes me think much more highly of human beings in general. Sometimes in our world full of cynicism, and general angry and negative tone of news media we forget that we are all the same just trying to make it day to day and have our children and the rest of our family be safe.

Stay positive and stay strong and ignore fear mongering and anger that fuels our modern life. Social media is generally a negative but helped so much in situations like this where people felt even more connected and able to understand the victims and their families and where they come from. Ignore idiots like the one that brought race and gender of the boys that passed away as the only reason so much money was donated. I was disgusted at such comments but reeled it all in and reminded myself that human beings for the most part can be pretty great.

God Speed everyone. Sorry to all the families suffering, i wish i could take some of your pain for myself to help you push through.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I chipped in to the godundme page today. Seems like nothing really but these families are all facing massive extra costs be it funerals, travel or future costs... great cause

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
While watching that video now posted on the Calgary Sun webstie I wonder why they didn't remove that grove of trees that obscures that intersection? Also, I was not aware of the 6 crosses from the previous accident.

I suppose in fairness that there are probably a hundred similar intersections in the province but this one already had a deadly history.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
While watching that video now posted on the Calgary Sun webstie I wonder why they didn't remove that grove of trees that obscures that intersection? Also, I was not aware of the 6 crosses from the previous accident.

I suppose in fairness that there are probably a hundred similar intersections in the province but this one already had a deadly history.
It's on private land I believe, that said I would be more then happy if the Province just "helped" the owners with their tree problem

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

20 years ago, 3 adults and 3 children died at this intersection, at least according to the above video.

Yeah 20 years ago, a grain truck struck a vehicle and killed six people going through the same intersection.

Probably should've installed rumble strips or made it a 4-way stop at that time.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The SJHL, along with full support and backing from the Broncos organization voted unanimously throughout their league's board of directors to move on with the SJHL final between Nipawin and Estevan.

SJHL to resume playoffs in aftermath of Humboldt tragedy - Sportsnet.ca

So sad to hear about the passing of the team's trainer earlier this evening too. May she and the others who passed away before their time rest in peace.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah 20 years ago, a grain truck struck a vehicle and killed six people going through the same intersection.

Probably should've installed rumble strips or made it a 4-way stop at that time.

So is the consensus pretty much that the truck blew the stop sign and T boned the bus?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As per the Humboldt Broncos, Rogers Place will be hosting the public services/funerals April 17 at 1 Pm for Logan Hunter, Jaxon Joseph, Parker Tobin and Stephen Wack.

All are welcome to attend, tickets are free at ticketmaster.ca

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
A small, but relevant update to this forum.

Our kids in this community had a very special visit today. Connor McDavid and Ryan O'Reilly stopped in town to visit the kids in our 4 schools today including my 7 year old son who absolutely idolizes both Connor and our Broncos. A lot of young kids in this community have been absolutely crushed by the news of losing their heroes... But this visit will have brought smiles to hundreds of young faces, that I'm sure have been in a great deal of silent pain the last 11 days.

Thank you Connor McDavid, I've never been prouder to cheer for this team than I am today.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Our kids in this community had a very special visit today. Connor McDavid and Ryan O'Reilly stopped in town to visit the kids in our 4 schools today including my 7 year old son who absolutely idolizes both Connor and our Broncos. A lot of young kids in this community have been absolutely crushed by the news of losing their heroes... But this visit will have brought smiles to hundreds of young faces, that I'm sure have been in a great deal of silent pain the last 11 days.

Thank you Connor McDavid, I've never been prouder to cheer for this team than I am today.
kgGwJAx.jpg

Saw this pic posted on reddit today with a nice story from a parent.

"Long story short, I live in Humboldt. the bus accident sucked (obviously) but it's been amazing to see the reaction/support we've gotten from the extended community of folks around here, around Canada, the NHL, etc.
Last week, my middle boy (who's in grade 9) texts me, "Hey, I'm hanging out with Jonathon Toews today!"
He was in town bringing the jerseys from the Chicago/Winnipeg game and hung out with the kids for awhile.
Thought that was awesome, texted the boy back to let him know to tell Toews that the Hawks suck
So today, middle boy calls again, "Hey, guess what I'm doing?"
No idea, what?
"I'm playing floor hockey, guess who's on my line?"
no idea, so I didn't guess
"Connor McDavid's on my line, we're winning"
NHL guys, good guys
not a media tour, just good guys being good guys
edit: Ryan o'Reilly from the Sabres there too"

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

That is a beautiful story, thanks for sharing. So happy to hear Connor and O'Reilly made a surprise appearance to all the schools. So awesome!!!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

This is awesome to hear, I wish I could like the post more than once.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I hope my boy turns out to be as fine a young man as McDavid is turning out to be.

Reactions: TB12

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Some possible good news regarding Ryan Straschnitzki's condition. If this is something Ryan can do repeatedly, this could mean that he's an "incomplete" paraplegic. The only comparison that comes to mind is former Eskimo James Bell. A couple of his vertebrae in his neck were damaged during a tackle in a game in 1986. The doctors told him that he could be a quadriplegic. But the spine healed itself and, over time, he regained all feeling and was able to regain all use of his body. Perhaps, this will be the same for Ryan.

Humboldt survivor has breakthrough as support continues to pour in - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
As a FYI Wedneday at 5:30 on TSN 1-5 they will be showing the season opener against the Hawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->