Humboldt BRONCOS-SJHL Hockey Team involved in serious bus crash on way to playoff game in Nipawin

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
What a horrible tragedy. My condolences to the friends and loved ones of the players in the crash.

Oil75

Feb 26, 2017
Friends have a cousin that was on the bus and he was more fortunate than many, airlifted and recovering with head and spinal injuries. We hope and pray for all of those grieving and especially for those who have a long road to recovery. Thanks for sharing the donation link this is at least one way for us to show support in this unbelievable tragedy.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is an awful tragedy. Young men with so much left undone, ended violently. Many more severely injured, never to be the same. So many shattered families. I went to high school in Nipawin and I still have family in the area. I grew up maybe 20 miles from this intersection. Ive passed there 1000 times. Its a pretty wide open and straight stretch but all it takes is a couple seconds of distraction and things like this happen.

God its just too much. What do you even say that doesnt sound like an empty platitude?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Friends have a cousin that was on the bus and he was more fortunate than many, airlifted and recovering with head and spinal injuries. We hope and pray for all of those grieving and especially for those who have a long road to recovery. Thanks for sharing the donation link this is at least one way for us to show support in this unbelievable tragedy.

I hope that he and the rest of the injured make a full recovery, sadly by the sounds of things it may take years if ever for some or maybe even all of them to get back close to 100% physically, let alone the mental toll that this will take on them. Hopefully their youth will allow them to heal better than those of us who have more mileage on our bodies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't even have words because I can't even imagine. I hope everyone who lost someone gets support and I hope everyone survived gets support as well, so everyone can hopefully move forward after this tragedy.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
My heart and thoughts go out to everyone affected and involved. Please think about making a donation to the GoFundMe page to assist the families. Heartbreaking

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This horrible accident brings the memories for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL teams plane crash.
Yes this is different accident because players are teenagers and young adults.

Is police announced what has caused this accident like drunk-driver, high driving speed or something else.
My deepest condolences goes to all peoples in Humboldt, families,relatives, friends and Humboldt Broncos fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: nexttothemoon

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There's a live press conference on TSN3 right now. It started about 5 minutes ago.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner confirmed the tractor trailer driver was at fault (west bound on 335) and was not hurt in the crash.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The truck driver was not injured. He was detained but released. Good to hear but hard to imagine how he wasn't injured and where the bus and truck made impact.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The truck driver was not injured. He was detained but released. Good to hear but hard to imagine how he wasn't injured and where the bus and truck made impact.

I am thinking the bus collided with the side of the trailer (or trailers) and is why he was unhurt.

Reactions: oilers'72

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I'm not sure how someone would ever get over something like that.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I am thinking the bus collided with the side of the trailer (or trailers) and is why he was unhurt.

I just saw an overhead photo of the scene. The truck is lying on its passenger side with its cargo strewn all over. The entire front of the bus was torn off and isn't even within view in the photo.

Reactions: McFuhryous

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I grew up in Nipawin. My step fathers' brother was killed a few miles north of there in similar circumstances. Broad daylight, almost no traffic, one driver blows through a stop sign.

pretty sad day

Your post brings back eerie memories for me driving those roads in Sask. back in the 1980's.

As a young guy driving thru the province to well sites it seemed to me that the whole province was a vast array of crossing roads and intersections that were encountered every few miles. Most of them were uncontrolled intersections (at least back then) and often times stop signs were knocked down or practically invisible. I couldn't believe how many vehicles rumbled through those intersections without so much as even looking although I am not saying that this happened here.

Your point about little or no traffic is interesting because locals warned us that it can be deceiving. You think you are out there all by yourself but in fact you are not. It throws you off your guard when you rarely see another vehicle. Locals warned us about those roads and advised us to stay home after dark but it seems that this tragedy was in broad daylight.

It could just as easily have been myself and my buddies in this same situation. What a terrible and tragic day for all of Canada.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Watching the Flyers and Rangers game. Roenick mentioned that Chris Joesph's son was on the bus. Roenick said they played together, that would make him an ex-Oiler as well I believe.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I just saw an overhead photo of the scene. The truck is lying on its passenger side with its cargo strewn all over. The entire front of the bus was torn off and isn't even within view in the photo.

I just saw the photo too. It's an absolute miracle any of those young boys survived the crash.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Watching the Flyers and Rangers game. Roenick mentioned that Chris Joesph's son was on the bus. Roenick said they played together, that would make him an ex-Oiler as well I believe.

His son, Jaxon, was one of the fatalities, according to a story on Sportsnet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad