Humboldt BRONCOS-SJHL Hockey Team involved in serious bus crash on way to playoff game in Nipawin

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
2.8M raised in 24 hours. Amazing and while money doesn’t anyone bring back or cure broken backs or broken hearts, the small gesture by people everywhere donating is some small relief for families who shouldn’t need to have to be going through this.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
That 15 includes Boulet I think. If not that is even worse.

Yeah, I saw this story and lists his name as one of the casualties. The story has 12 of the victim's names along with some of the survivors. One player, Nick Shumlanski, has been released from hospital.

Centre Nick Shumlanski’s father, Myles, confirmed that he was released from hospital in good condition after receiving treatment for broken bones, including injuries to his shoulder and a small crack in a vertabra.
He first went to the Tisdale hospital and then to Saskatoon for further treatment.
nick-shumlanski-jpg.jpg

Humboldt Broncos player Nick Shumlanski, who is from Tisdale, Saskatchewan.
Myles said a doctor called his son a “miracle,” as he was one of the only Broncos players able to get up and walk immediately after the collision Friday.
Nick was able to get to a phone and call his father, who rushed to the scene, along with his wife, to help care for others.

UPDATED: Humboldt Broncos bus crash: Biographies

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Not sure if posted yet or any updates from the league.. has there been any mention on how the rest of the playoffs will go? Are they ending the season?

I would assume that's the appropriate thing to do.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How common are these types of accidents in Canada.
Mainly I mean what kind of road section this accident happen.
Hopefully the cause of the accident can be clarified and be held responsible for his work.

Here in Finland happened 14 yrs ago ( 2004) a bit similar traffic accident when bus and
a full trailer truck loaded with paper collided in Konginkangas.
In that accident 23 peoples died and 14 injured seriously.

Konginkangas bus and paper truck collision is still the most serious road traffic accident in Finland.
And this Humboldt Broncos accident bring some memories of that accident.

Last edited:

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
How common are these types of accidents in Canada.
Mainly I mean what kind of road section this accident happen.
Hopefully the cause of the accident can be clarified and be held responsible for his work.

Here in Finland happened 14 yrs ago ( 2004) a bit similar traffic accident when bus and
a full trailer truck loaded with paper collided in Konginkangas.
In that accident 23 peoples died and 14 injured seriously.

Konginkangas bus and paper truck collision is still the most serious road traffic accident in Finland.
And this Humboldt Broncos accident bring some memories of that accident.

There not. Every weekend there are thousands of these buses moving kids to sporting events.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm a bit bothered by the fact I haven't heard a single word on the driver of the semi-truck. I'm watching the CBC vigil right now, not a single thing said about that person. Have not been able to find him on any list of casulties.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm a bit bothered by the fact I haven't heard a single word on the driver of the semi-truck. I'm watching the CBC vigil right now, not a single thing said about that person. Have not been able to find him on any list of casulties.

He was released uninjured after the crash.

Reactions: Joey Moss

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

He was unhurt in the collision as the bus very likely struck the trailers. The RCMP detained him but released him at the scene.

Reactions: Joey Moss

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Like Fuhryous said, he was briefly detained, but was released by the RCMP, and he's, according to CBC, receiving support and counselling because obviously.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't know much about trucks but I am curious (in looking at the pictures) as to why the cab of the semi seems to be perfectly in tact? I hope the RCMP have some more info for the public this week.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I don't know much about trucks but I am curious (in looking at the pictures) as to why the cab of the semi seems to be perfectly in tact? I hope the RCMP have some more info for the public this week.

I think we'll be waiting a while before anything official.

As for the semi.. to my eyes the bus hit the semi at the front trailer.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think we'll be waiting a while before anything official.

As for the semi.. to my eyes the bus hit the semi at the front trailer.

Interesting observation, I have come to the same conclusion. Initial impressions were that the semi-cab T-boned the bus but doesn't look like that was the case. I won't speculate any further until we hear some facts.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Interesting observation, I have come to the same conclusion. Initial impressions were that the semi-cab T-boned the bus but doesn't look like that was the case. I won't speculate any further until we hear some facts.

Yeah, the way the media has been reporting it ('semi collided with bus') has confused that side of it. IMO the physical What happened is fairly clear from the CP photos, the real question is Why was the semi in the intersection and that will come out eventually with the investigation.

In the meantime it's a tragedy and you're right to stay away from speculation and the blame game.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

I work with semi's and trailers and their drivers. From the pictures of the wreckage, I can see the combination involved is referred to as a "super b" combination, meaning the truck was towing two trailers and would have looked similar to the attached picture (this one is loaded with lumber). These things are 25 meters long (82.5 feet) and can weigh up to 63,500 kgs. Peat moss is considerably lighter than say a load of roofing shingles so it might have been around 50-55 thousand kgs in total weight, which is still well in excess of 100,000 pounds.

As the truck driver was headed west and had the bus hit the truck, (bus was going north), it would have impacted the driver's side and the driver would also have been very seriously injured or killed. As he was unhurt, I would suggest the bus struck the side of the trailers.

superb-rig3.jpg

There is so much to the investigation...the investigators will have to piece back together both vehicles the best they can to conduct mechanical inspections on both vehicles involved, especially the braking components. They will look at driver fatigue (hours of service) and other factors, such as the speed of both vehicles at the point of impact. The accident reconstrunctionists have their work cut out for them.

I was going to refrain from posting this part as I do not want it to appear I am passing judgement and I want to make it clear I am going by the photographic evidence. Looking at the overhead photos of the scene, especially the closest shot of the wreckage, there is something very troubling and it appears there is an absence of lengthy skid marks from the bus prior to the point of impact and no skid marks from the semi combination unit from that side of the intersection. There appears to be one small skid mark just prior to the impact point so I personally think Mr. Doerksen had next to no time for any kind of reaction and the driver of the tractor didn't touch his brakes as the tractor was beyond the point of the collision.

Judging by where both vehicles ended up, I would also believe the semi wasn't stalled out but was in motion. Perhaps the driver did not stop and went through it without stopping at a yet to be determined rate of speed. Perhaps he did stop and misjudged the distance of the bus or didn't see the bus at all due to a visibility factor such as sun/glare/the trees on the corner and was proceeding through. The bus driver failed to see him because of a blind spot or other factors affecting his view, including the same grove of trees at the intersection. There are so many things that could have or did contribute to this tragedy.

The one player from Airdrie who suffered a serious back injury told his dad the bus hit the front of the tractor trailer and he doesn't recall anything after until first responders were rescuing him. His dad reported this to a media outlet he spoke with and his son's first hand witness account coincides with how badly damaged the front of the bus is.

Reactions: MoontoScott

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for this outstanding post. I have come to many of the same conclusions as has someone I know who drove a semi for many years. I guess we will know more in the coming days.

Reactions: McFuhryous

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I work with semi's and trailers and their drivers. From the pictures of the wreckage, I can see the combination involved is referred to as a "super b" combination, meaning the truck was towing two trailers and would have looked similar to the attached picture (this one is loaded with lumber). These things are 25 meters long (82.5 feet) and can weigh up to 63,500 kgs. Peat moss is considerably lighter than say a load of roofing shingles so it might have been around 50-55 thousand kgs in total weight, which is still well in excess of 100,000 pounds.

As the truck driver was headed west and had the bus hit the truck, (bus was going north), it would have impacted the driver's side and the driver would also have been very seriously injured or killed. As he was unhurt, I would suggest the bus struck the side of the trailers.

superb-rig3.jpg

There is so much to the investigation...the investigators will have to piece back together both vehicles the best they can to conduct mechanical inspections on both vehicles involved, especially the braking components. They will look at driver fatigue (hours of service) and other factors, such as the speed of both vehicles at the point of impact. The accident reconstrunctionists have their work cut out for them.

I was going to refrain from posting this part as I do not want it to appear I am passing judgement and I want to make it clear I am going by the photographic evidence. Looking at the overhead photos of the scene, especially the closest shot of the wreckage, there is something very troubling and it appears there is an absence of lengthy skid marks from the bus prior to the point of impact and no skid marks from the semi combination unit from that side of the intersection. There appears to be one small skid mark just prior to the impact point so I personally think Mr. Doerksen had next to no time for any kind of reaction and the driver of the tractor didn't touch his brakes as the tractor was beyond the point of the collision.

Judging by where both vehicles ended up, I would also believe the semi wasn't stalled out but was in motion. Perhaps the driver did not stop and went through it without stopping at a yet to be determined rate of speed. Perhaps he did stop and misjudged the distance of the bus or didn't see the bus at all due to a visibility factor such as sun/glare/the trees on the corner and was proceeding through. The bus driver failed to see him because of a blind spot or other factors affecting his view, including the same grove of trees at the intersection. There are so many things that could have or did contribute to this tragedy.

The one player from Airdrie who suffered a serious back injury told his dad the bus hit the front of the tractor trailer and he doesn't recall anything after until first responders were rescuing him. His dad reported this to a media outlet he spoke with and his son's first hand witness account coincides with how badly damaged the front of the bus is.

Be careful making any assumptions based on skid marks. You would not be able to see any marks in these photos from the bus braking with a functioning ABS system. The heavy black marks are from sideways movement.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Hours after waking up from surgery, Straschnitzki asked his “billet dad” if he could scroll through his phone, according to Tom. The two then sat down for two hours discussing the magnitude of the collision and what’s happened since.
“He went ‘wow, this is big. I didn’t think it was that big,’ ” Tom said, adding his son then wanted to see a photo of the team bus.
“He said ‘that’s the window I flew out of and that’s where I landed on the pavement,’ ” said Tom. “And then he just stared at that for about five to 10 minutes.”

Oof. That's tough to read.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA

Xavier Labelle was incorrectly named as one the deceased and Parker Tobin was believed to have survived. Parker's mother tweeted not too long after the accident that he was being airlifted to the hospital :(

A miracle for the Labelle family and an absolute nightmare for the Tobins. Get well soon Xavier

Rest in peace Parker

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Xavier Labelle was incorrectly named as one the deceased and Parker Tobin was believed to have survived. Parker's mother tweeted not too long after the accident that he was being airlifted to the hospital :(

A miracle for the Labelle family and an absolute nightmare for the Tobins. Get well soon Xavier

Rest in peace Parker
So Tobin died in the crash? That's tough, indeed get well soon Xavier. Is there an article for this, because I had one the other day that Tobin was in stable condition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad