Proposal: Hughes Line Is It Anyway?: N.J. + VAN

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
To New Jersey: Quinn Hughes, Eriksson

To Vancouver: NYI's 2021 1st, Ty Smith, Zacha

New Jersey get another Hughes Bros, and with a little lottery luck maybe they can draft the 3rd one this summer

Vancouver get a solid young replacement for Hughes with Smith, a middle 6 forward just entering his prime in Zacha, and a 2021 1st. They also dump the final year of Eriksson's contract
Why is Vancouver tradimg Hughes? This stupid honestly. Its like Edmonton trading McDavid for some pickles. Canucks will never trade Hughes.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Fair points...

But the shine is still there on Hughes, and I don't see them moving him. Canucks fans won't like the package, and Devils fans might not be too keen either tbh
Devils would trade for Hughes in less than a second if that offer would net them Hughes. Dont kid yourself, Hughes is probably the most elite puck moving D man when it comes to transition game. His defense will improve and ot has improved in these past 2 games.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Ty Smith will be as good as Quinn Hughes maybe better. He's already a 1st pairing dman in his rookie year.

And no way NJ is giving up a 1st + Zacha for Eriksson. GTFO with this shit.
Ty smith has not played in the playoffs and has not been PPG in playoffs, so who knows of he will be better than Hughes but I know for sure he doesnt touch Hughes when it comes to skating. Edge work? Hughes is just in a different stratosphere compared to smith.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Which is why it may be time to sell high...
Time to sell high? This isnt a real estate forum, Canucka are trying to finish the rebuild not rebuild again. Maybe Oilers should trade McDavid and sell high...they will get so much assets back.

Reactions: Szechwan

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Neither team is going to sell their Hughes, as for a trade this one probably isn't far off on value, but doesn't make any sense in real life

Reactions: Szechwan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Neither team is going to sell their Hughes, as for a trade this one probably isn't far off on value, but doesn't make any sense in real life
Bob McKenzie has Luke Hughes ranked 5th in his draft rankings this week per his survey with scouts.

If some other team like Detroit, Anaheim, Buffalo takes Luke, I think we can see an end to these Hughes trade threads. Very very difficult to unite 3 brothers. Only 2/3 full time NHL Staal brothers.

When players have to play 7 years with their club before hitting UFA, they get accustomed to their city. Get married to someone from there and it's unlikely that the player opts to leave in free agency unless their team is a tire fire.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Bob McKenzie has Luke Hughes ranked 5th in his draft rankings this week per his survey with scouts.

If some other team like Detroit, Anaheim, Buffalo takes Luke, I think we can see an end to these Hughes trade threads. Very very difficult to unite 3 brothers. Only 2/3 full time NHL Staal brothers.

When players have to play 7 years with their club before hitting UFA, they get accustomed to their city. Get married to someone from there and it's unlikely that the player opts to leave in free agency unless their team is a tire fire.
The devils are ranked 30th right now in points but it will be a tight finish for last

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
The value isn't bad but can't see the Nucks giving up Hughes. Dynamic defenseman is their biggest need and Hughes is more dynamic than Smith.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The devils are ranked 30th right now in points but it will be a tight finish for last
Bottom 4 are (points to games):
Buf - 31 in 46
NJ - 34 in 45
Ana - 35 in 47
Ott - 36 in 46

Between 9-11 games left for these teams. Bottom 2, then Seattle, then the other 2 would get slotted in the draft order. Then the lottery.

See what happens.

Just saying that if each Hughes is drafted by a separate NHL team, I don't foresee them ever being united on the same NHL club. Really difficult to do.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Looks it's this week's NJ-Vancouver trade a Hughes proposal! Neither team is trading their Hughes. Each team is building around them. These threads are pointless.

I just hope they brawl it out on the draft floor to see who gets the 3rd Hughes.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm just happy to see Nucks fans interested in Zacha and not offering up Jake Virtanen while saying that Virtanen is the better player, actually.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Hahahahahaha

I remember my first beer......

First off, Loui only has one year left. The fan base has pretty much come to terms with paying him to not play. It sucks but oh well.

Hughes will win Norris’s one day.
He is 1-2 years away from being a top 10 dman in the league.
Add another 1st and they might listen.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They're not trading Hughes to dump Eriksson...

They're trading Hughes because they're getting a nice haul of assets

And while he may be the "best homegrown defenceman they've had in years", he's -25 over his last 107 games, and his best comparable as a player might be Phil Housley
What a horror it must be to have a guy who's similar to a HHOF player!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is the kind of trade the Canucks would want to do if contract negotiations with Hughes go way south for some reason. It's genuinely not a bad offer.

Wouldn't want to seek it out or anything from the Canucks perspective, but it's not a terrible proposal.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
10/10 thread title

I'd say the odds of NJ moving their Hughes is higher than the Canucks moving their Hughes, and both odds are extremely unlikely.
Id say thats NJ's chance of moving Jack is slim to none and as unlikely or moreso than the Canucks moving Quinn.
The kid is generating offence like crazy right now. He just has no one on his line that can finish. His zone entries and chances he is generating out of nothing has been very impressive the past few games.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

It looks like Devils will be picking 4-8 . What are Detroit's Buffalo's Ducks's main needs? Hopefully one goes C with Beniers . Powers maybe goes first of the D . It will be interesting to see if Hughes can make it to Devils pick and interesting to see if what the Devils do at that point. IM fairly certain they go D but depends on who is still there . If Powers / Clarke are already gone I would like the Devils to go Hughes for sure.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It looks like Devils will be picking 4-8 . What are Detroit's Buffalo's Ducks's main needs? Hopefully one goes C with Beniers . Powers maybe goes first of the D . It will be interesting to see if Hughes can make it to Devils pick and interesting to see if what the Devils do at that point. IM fairly certain they go D but depends on who is still there . If Powers / Clarke are already gone I would like the Devils to go Hughes for sure.

If Power and Clarke are off the board, they absolutely should take Hughes, I think they should take either over him though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad