Proposal: Hughes Line Is It Anyway?: N.J. + VAN

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To New Jersey: Quinn Hughes, Eriksson

To Vancouver: NYI's 2021 1st, Ty Smith, Zacha

New Jersey get another Hughes Bros, and with a little lottery luck maybe they can draft the 3rd one this summer

Vancouver get a solid young replacement for Hughes with Smith, a middle 6 forward just entering his prime in Zacha, and a 2021 1st. They also dump the final year of Eriksson's contract

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t do this as a Canuck fan. Hughes has had some sophomore struggles this year, but his transition game, work on the power play, and dynamic abilities in the offensive zone complete changes our team’s offense. He’s not an expendable asset, this doesn’t make us a better team.

Reactions: bh53 and Cogburn

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I know his deal doesn’t have much term left, but that feels like an overpay when taking back Eriksson

His contract won't be a burden whatsoever to New Jersey... in fact, they might even need it to reach the cap floor next season

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Why would Vancouver give up the best homegrown defenseman they've had in years (and quite possibly evarrr) to dump Eriksson?

Devils fans seem quite high on Smith as well, plus they might be better off keeping the assets here to continue their rebuild

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Why would Vancouver give up the best homegrown defenseman they've had in years (and quite possibly evarrr) to dump Eriksson?

Devils fans seem quite high on Smith as well, plus they might be better off keeping the assets here to continue their rebuild

They're not trading Hughes to dump Eriksson...

They're trading Hughes because they're getting a nice haul of assets

And while he may be the "best homegrown defenceman they've had in years", he's -25 over his last 107 games, and his best comparable as a player might be Phil Housley

Reactions: CalvertsaBeast

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

And while he may be the "best homegrown defenceman they've had in years", he's -25 over his last 107 games, and his best comparable as a player might be Phil Housley
A HHOF player? What a terrible thing to have on your team.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008

Fair points...

But the shine is still there on Hughes, and I don't see them moving him. Canucks fans won't like the package, and Devils fans might not be too keen either tbh

Reactions: Cogburn

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Which is why it may be time to sell high...

You have to realize how that sounds to Canuck fans... "Sell off your 21 YO dman because he is what he is"

I mean, I could well be wrong but an intelligent player like Quinn probably *knows* he could defend better. He'll probably always be limited by his size and lack of strength of course, but certainly he could at least be a competent defender.

(I'd like to see him improve his shot as well, but that's neither here nor there)

I mean, pretty easy to see how such a move could backfire, is it not....? :dunno:

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think Vancouver would prefer going after the other Hughes brother rather than trading theirs away.

Even with Eriksson involved this favors the Devils IMO

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Canucks aren't trading Hughes. Point blank. Even if Jersey wins the lottery, Vancouver's not moving him for the 1st overall.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
That's a good package for Hughes if the Canucks were going to take one for him. But, there's absolutely no point in doing that.

Quality>Quantity

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Canucks are not downgrading their best defenseman, actually makes Zero sense..

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Ty Smith will be as good as Quinn Hughes maybe better. He's already a 1st pairing dman in his rookie year.

And no way NJ is giving up a 1st + Zacha for Eriksson. GTFO with this shit.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Ty smith is an absolute stud so this seems like an overpayment. Quinn Hughes is a better skater then ty but they both are potentially capable of 60 point seasons

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Ty smith is an absolute stud so this seems like an overpayment. Quinn Hughes is a better skater then ty but they both are potentially capable of 60 point seasons

See, the difference here is...

Quinn Hughes IS a 60pts d-man, he's shown he can do it last year, and again this year
Ty Smith MAY become a 60pt d-man, he hasn't shown he can do it yet.

Certainty > Potential, especially when both of them are the same age.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
See, the difference here is...

Quinn Hughes IS a 60pts d-man, he's shown he can do it last year, and again this year
Ty Smith MAY become a 60pt d-man, he hasn't shown he can do it yet.

Certainty > Potential, especially when both of them are the same age.
Yup wasn’t looking at his stats. Ty smith is capable of 60 points but he hasn’t done it yet. This is his rookie year and is playing on the top pair and pp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad