Confirmed with Link: Hughes extension official (8 years, $64 million)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you're absolutely convinced he's the guy you make this move now. Every day you wait his price goes up. Definitely some risk but I love the upside here.

I think he's going to make a lot of people look very silly real soon.

Plus you got as much term as possible. Short bridge deal holds way more risk IMO because you get stuck paying way more or flat out just lose him to free agency.

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Plus you got as much term as possible. Short bridge deal holds way more risk IMO because you get stuck paying way more or flat out just lose him to free agency.

Short term would’ve been awful. He’d have fully broken out at that point and also he’d be signing the deal after the cap has started to jump or right when it’d be starting to jump.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Getting ahead of the cap is key to sustaining a winner, and it starts before you even are a winner.

This is what an age of heightened information flow looks like. You are making a calculated risk in any deal, and we just saw a decade full of dumb contracts given to over the hill players. But even NHL GMs aren't dumb enough to keep smacking their nuts against the pavement.

I'm sure we'll see the same crowd who marvels at Graves or Hamilton's impact refuse to acknowledge that eating shit and holding back bullets for a few seasons was what gave us the flexibility to do that.

1995 is gone. Welcome to Thunderdome motherf***er.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fitzgerald is pretty much riding his career on this deal.

He’s either going to look like a genius or an idiot based off of this.

If this pays off it could be massive for this teams future.

His tenure was going to ride or die on Nico, Jack and Blackwood regardless.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It’s a bet and risk. But the fruit outweigh the risk. It works and you get tremendous value and are set up cap wise strongly moving forward. It doesn’t…we’ll then you were going to have to hit the reset button the the rebuild anyways.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
boring-fun.gif

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Short term would’ve been awful. He’d have fully broken out at that point and also he’d be signing the deal after the cap has started to jump or right when it’d be starting to jump.

Main board saying we should have bridged him is crazy talk to me.

Yeah there is risk to this contract if he doesn't break out (feels unlikely IMO), but you carry just as much, if not more risk, on a bridge and he does break out.

More and more RFAs are showing they are willing to play hardball if they feel they deserve big money, and if you don't buy UFA years then you risk losing him during his peak time.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
For him to underwhelm this contract, something disastrous would have to happen. A bridge would’ve been awful with what others have said that you’re risking this guy who seemed prime for a breakout to even have a bigger chip on his shoulder. Get ahead of the curve and sign your future long term.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad