Confirmed with Link: Hughes extension official (8 years, $64 million)

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
The only thing that bothers me a little is that long term deals are risky because whoever’s getting them, the majority aren’t living up to expectations.

I hope he’ll be in the group that exceeds them and turns out to be the superstar we all want him to be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Main board saying we should have bridged him is crazy talk to me.

Yeah there is risk to this contract if he doesn't break out (feels unlikely IMO), but you carry just as much, if not more risk, on a bridge and he does break out.

More and more RFAs are showing they are willing to play hardball if they feel they deserve big money, and if you don't buy UFA years then you risk losing him during his peak time.

That plus there’s also the brother factor, you don’t want Jack getting to FA before Quinn

Reactions: My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Main board saying we should have bridged him is crazy talk to me.

Yeah there is risk to this contract if he doesn't break out (feels unlikely IMO), but you carry just as much, if not more risk, on a bridge and he does break out.

More and more RFAs are showing they are willing to play hardball if they feel they deserve big money, and if you don't buy UFA years then you risk losing him during his peak time.

Yep and with a brother in the league they are going to have eyes elsewhere if that happens. We avoided that.

It’s a risky contract, but it is the type you have to take.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Interesting.

Doesn't the deferred escrow payments to cover COVID losses last until 23-24, with an option for 24-25?

Some of the national media were talking about the cap actually increasing for next season by $1 million. For that to happen, I think that also means covering the losses would be over.

I thought there was no chance the league could recoup revenue losses so quickly though so we will see.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

interstellar-matthew-mc-conaughey.gif

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Risky just like the Nico's deal

Hughes way more talented, but still hasn't put it all together, far from it. I didn't like the Nico's deal so I'm so-so on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad