Post-Game Talk: Huge comeback win! Jets 4-3

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
it seems like roslovic is here to stay and 4th line going forward will be 2 of roslovic connor laine or ehlers depending on who isn't playing on top 2 lines. the jets wont go into playoffs with 2 young players like that on line an petan as centre. seems like the centre will be Hendricks copp and or trade deadline centre with playoff experience. my preference and guess would be they trade for a centre they can trust in all situations to play on 4th line if they decide to go with any combination of those 4 wingers.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
it seems like roslovic is here to stay and 4th line going forward will be 2 of roslovic connor laine or ehlers depending on who isn't playing on top 2 lines. the jets wont go into playoffs with 2 young players like that on line an petan as centre. seems like the centre will be Hendricks copp and or trade deadline centre with playoff experience. my preference and guess would be they trade for a centre they can trust in all situations to play on 4th line if they decide to go with any combination of those 4 wingers.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Connor-Plekanec-Roslovic

or...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Ehlers-Brassard-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Connor-Plekanec-Roslovic

or...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Brassard-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Exactly what I would do. Lots of combinations available if we can add a center like Brassard or even Plekanec. I think it really balances out the depth of the forwards.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This has happened to many players now. Off the top of my head:

Morrissey
Ehlers
Lowry
Laine?

Seems like something the training staff needs to get under control.

Again, I think this is by design. You have the ability to gain strength that you will keep for the rest of your life when you gain it while your tendons/ligaments etc are still developing. Even muscle that you develop early on will develop 'memory'.

Those young years are prime time strength development years and it's smart for your future to do it then. You give up some early quickness in favor of a career of strength and durability.

Once you get to a level that's going to work for your frame and your athletic goals, then you can start with the agility and speed.

This is what I believe is happening.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I've noted it before but structural imbalances are what plague hockey players more than anything when it comes to their skating. It's not necessarily bulking up that causes an issue, it's not paying attention to properly balancing the combination of muscles that drive your skating, which the act of skating in hockey in itself is a major cause of imbalance. It's imperative in the off season to address those imbalances and not focus overly on large muscle development or you risk losing speed and explosiveness. The best trainers address this.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
IMO at least, Connor and Rosie (love the nickname) are doing so well is they both play a style of game that the vets can read off of. They both go North South, chase pucks at full speed and are willing to do the heavy board work. If you can play that game it is an easier fit with the veteran group. That's why I like moving Lainie and Ehlers down with Petan. Petan has a ton to prove, has a lot of natural offensive skill and I think can adapt to a more creative East West game. IMO there is a real chance we could see fire works from them, especially against the less defensively sound teams.

I agree. I've been thinking the same thing since I saw this last game. You have to try things and see if they work. We are in a great position in that we are good in the standings, and have the roster to play with and still likely maintain that standing.

The first and second lines from the end of last game looked very good. I would love to see what we could do with a third scoring line.

It sounds like Maurice want's Copp in between Laine and Ehlers though, not Petan.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree. I've been thinking the same thing since I saw this last game. You have to try things and see if they work. We are in a great position in that we are good in the standings, and have the roster to play with and still likely maintain that standing.

The first and second lines from the end of last game looked very good. I would love to see what we could do with a third scoring line.

It sounds like Maurice want's Copp in between Laine and Ehlers though, not Petan.

Really don't get Maurice's love affair with Copp, is it his hair, seriously Copp is pretty good defensively but that's about it, he is a decent 4th liner and that is really where he should slot in! IMO

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Really don't get Maurice's love affair with Copp, is it his hair, seriously Copp is pretty good defensively but that's about it, he is a decent 4th liner and that is really where he should slot in! IMO
I think the Jets best lineup has him at 4C myself.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think the Jets best lineup has him at 4C myself.

No kidding, it's pretty easy to see the difference in Copp compared to someone like Roslo who has skill and can finish, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think Petans been a lot more noticeable since his call up. He has a lot more jump to his step, seems to be attacking pucks on the forecheck faster and playing with speed. It really looks like to me he took the coaches advice to heart and tried to change his game for the better.

This is all based on eye test and not stats though.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would say the bolded goes both ways though Jet. Lots of people give Myers a pass when he is inconsistent and Makes high event gaffes but go off on Buff for the same thing. It’s a style thing I believe and it depends on which type of faults drive you more crazy.

I did jump out of my recliner and wake up the family when Tyler popped the winner in OT though.

I call out both of them when I think they are having an off game by their standards. One thing I remain consistent on though is I believe Trouba is better suited to play on the top pair with Morrissey.
I agree with the last line and I feel like Kulikov suits Myers better too. I just don't think we want Morrissey dragging Chia around the ice and I don't think Chiarot and Enstrom play well together either.

I really like our pairs when we are healthy back there but that doesn't happen often enough. I really hope the rumors are true about the Jets picking up some top 4 depth for the run. I know people like Poolman here but I don't want to rush him, his development seems to be tracking pretty well

For the record, I think you will agree that I have been pretty fair with Buff this year. I guess from my perspective I am willing to give a guy who tries hard and is a team first guy more latitude if he is messing up due to lack of ability or confidence over a guy who I think is playing in a selfish manner. Probably comes from the fact I am not a natural talent, I had to work REALLY hard to get decent at hockey and I have always struggled with the mental aspect of the game.

Reactions: ps241

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan sucked. God I hope Hendricks isn't hurt or else its Petan AND Dano in... poor Armia having to play with those turds :)

Myers wasn't as bad as some are saying. I thought he had a good game highlighted by a couple of big gaffes. It's funny that some who were praising Buff when he was doing the exact same thing are raking Myers over the coals. Difference between the two IMO is Myers just fails to execute sometimes and Buffs mistakes come out of laziness or selfishness.

Brighteyes.... man I was frustrated by him earlier in the game for some turnovers and lack of execution man he is a champion. Can't wait to see him in the playoffs!

Helle looks tired to me. We HAVE to find a way to get him some rest.
Petan was fine in his limited minutes.

I think Myers game was one long gaffe highlighted by a couple of good plays... ;)

I agree that Hellebuyck needs a rest - but with all the injuries, and Maurice's reluctance to play anyone else, I don't know how he gets it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I think Myers game was one long gaffe highlighted by a couple of good plays... ;)

I agree that Hellebuyck needs a rest - but with all the injuries, and Maurice's reluctance to play anyone else, I don't know how he gets it.

3 days between games and no travel

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Connor-Plekanec-Roslovic

or...

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Brassard-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Armia

I very much like the thought process behind this Whileee... it is totally consistent with us securing a C that permits us to run with what most call a 1-2-3a-3b structure. Most would have to agree with the notion that such structure would be the best way to utilize the type of talent accumulated. The question as always of course is whether Maurice himself is aligned with this type of thinking, or not. Recent media reports(value them as you will) suggesting that Maurice has asked Chevy to pick up a forward with more grit, are not very encouraging. This strongly suggests Maurice has again defaulted to what he is most comfortable with - 2 top lines, a checking line, and a prototypical low minute energy line. Oh well... the passage of trade deadline will help clarify management`s thinking.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I very much like the thought process behind this Whileee... it is totally consistent with us securing a C that permits us to run with what most call a 1-2-3a-3b structure. Most would have to agree with the notion that such structure would be the best way to utilize the type of talent accumulated. The question as always of course is whether Maurice himself is aligned with this type of thinking, or not. Recent media reports(value them as you will) suggesting that Maurice has asked Chevy to pick up a forward with more grit, are not very encouraging. This strongly suggests Maurice has again defaulted to what he is most comfortable with - 2 top lines, a checking line, and a prototypical low minute energy line. Oh well... the passage of trade deadline will help clarify management`s thinking.
Thorbs incoming in 3... 2... 1...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
3 days between games and no travel
The Jets haven't had a 3 days off in a row since the All Star game (Hellebuyck ended up getting a full week off there with Hutch playing vs. Tampa). This home stand has been nice with the game spacing and no travel though.

Hellebuyck's on pace for 66 or 67 games...that's a pretty heavy workload, and I don't see how he avoids playing that many games. His career high is 58 games in 2014-15 with the Ice Caps.

Maybe I should take Wheeler's advice and pump the brakes a bit, but over the last 20 years, only twice has a goalie played 66+ games and won the Cup (Quick in 2011-12, 69 GP; and Brodeur in 2002-03, 73 GP).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The Jets haven't had a 3 days off in a row since the All Star game (Hellebuyck ended up getting a full week off there with Hutch playing vs. Tampa). This home stand has been nice with the game spacing and no travel though.

Hellebuyck's on pace for 66 or 67 games...that's a pretty heavy workload, and I don't see how he avoids playing that many games. His career high is 58 games in 2014-15 with the Ice Caps.

Maybe I should take Wheeler's advice and pump the brakes a bit, but over the last 20 years, only twice has a goalie played 66+ games and won the Cup (Quick in 2011-12, 69 GP; and Brodeur in 2002-03, 73 GP).

The Jets have lots of practice time on this home stand. That gives him time to work on things. When travelling with less practice time he only gets games and morning skates for long stretches. I think that schedule was not beneficial to him last season. This home stand is different

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Oh but, rewarding effort and merit badges to players and earning things and blah blah blah blah

I mean, there is some credence to it... but at this point they are pros.

Hell, even in my major midget team we've talked about how performance is what you need to lean on more than the effort, which is just one factor that goes into performance.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That's how you force your way into a stacked lineup, play 'fine' :)

Saying Petan sucked was dumb of me. I don't think he sucked, I just feel like he didn't drive anything really or make a case for himself. When Connor and Roslovic got their chances they really made something happen for themselves.

If we ever get healthy again there will be no debate, Petan will easily be sent down, and that's on him.

I won't talk about Myers because I know there are several people here who really dislike his game, and that's fine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I mean, there is some credence to it... but at this point they are pros.

Hell, even in my major midget team we've talked about how performance is what you need to lean on more than the effort, which is just one factor that goes into performance.
Sure, but when a "9" player is dogging it and everyone knows that, it kinda bums out the whole team. Know what I mean?

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Hellebuyck's save of the night vs the Caps came in the first period when we were killing a penalty and Myers decided that it was a good idea to join the rush at 4 vs 5, which of course ended up going the other way on a 2 on 1.

How do we distinguish between Myers' hardworking team-first pinches and Buff's selfish lazy pinches? Is there some code we have to crack to figure it out?

Myers on his best day is "Bad Buff".

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad