Post-Game Talk: Huge comeback win! Jets 4-3

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Petan sucked. God I hope Hendricks isn't hurt or else its Petan AND Dano in... poor Armia having to play with those turds :)

Myers wasn't as bad as some are saying. I thought he had a good game highlighted by a couple of big gaffes. It's funny that some who were praising Buff when he was doing the exact same thing are raking Myers over the coals. Difference between the two IMO is Myers just fails to execute sometimes and Buffs mistakes come out of laziness or selfishness.

Brighteyes.... man I was frustrated by him earlier in the game for some turnovers and lack of execution man he is a champion. Can't wait to see him in the playoffs!

Helle looks tired to me. We HAVE to find a way to get him some rest.

I would say the bolded goes both ways though Jet. Lots of people give Myers a pass when he is inconsistent and Makes high event gaffes but go off on Buff for the same thing. It’s a style thing I believe and it depends on which type of faults drive you more crazy.

I did jump out of my recliner and wake up the family when Tyler popped the winner in OT though.

I call out both of them when I think they are having an off game by their standards. One thing I remain consistent on though is I believe Trouba is better suited to play on the top pair with Morrissey.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No debating that - but I'm hoping they give that new top 6 look a few games before they pull the plug.
We have a ton of skilled forwards - I'm concerned about it all becoming a perpetual blender. Connor and Roz are now giving the coach a lot of options and a lot to think about.
And if that's all I can find to complain about, it's all good.
IMO at least, Connor and Rosie (love the nickname) are doing so well is they both play a style of game that the vets can read off of. They both go North South, chase pucks at full speed and are willing to do the heavy board work. If you can play that game it is an easier fit with the veteran group. That's why I like moving Lainie and Ehlers down with Petan. Petan has a ton to prove, has a lot of natural offensive skill and I think can adapt to a more creative East West game. IMO there is a real chance we could see fire works from them, especially against the less defensively sound teams.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Previously, I suggested trying Copp with Ehlers and Laine, instead of Little. He is good defensively and he's a strong skater who gets on the puck. He lacks finish but makes smart plays. I don't mind seeing how that line plays for a few games.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Previously, I suggested trying Copp with Ehlers and Laine, instead of Little. He is good defensively and he's a strong skater who gets on the puck. He lacks finish but makes smart plays. I don't mind seeing how that line plays for a few games.
I would say copp has very good finish. Remember with wheeler last year.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
IMO at least, Connor and Rosie (love the nickname) are doing so well is they both play a style of game that the vets can read off of. They both go North South, chase pucks at full speed and are willing to do the heavy board work. If you can play that game it is an easier fit with the veteran group. That's why I like moving Lainie and Ehlers down with Petan. Petan has a ton to prove, has a lot of natural offensive skill and I think can adapt to a more creative East West game. IMO there is a real chance we could see fire works from them, especially against the less defensively sound teams.

Just using your post to jump off from King, no issues with your post at all...

Very much enjoying this thread and the constructive criticisms that are in here on a lot of players. Definitely enjoyed the rookie's games last night (C/R) but I'm sitting back at the moment and kind of enjoying the conversations regarding Ehlers and Laine. No real disagreement that they have a lot of room to improve along the boards, defensively and even mentally. What I'm enjoying most is how much concern we as a group are displaying for a 22 and 19 year old respectively that have 40 and 42 points each at a little over the halfway point of the season. :nod: Plethora of riches folks...but I suppose somebody had to take over as the designated "3rd liner" role from Ladd.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just using your post to jump off from King, no issues with your post at all...

Very much enjoying this thread and the constructive criticisms that are in here on a lot of players. Definitely enjoyed the rookie's games last night (C/R) but I'm sitting back at the moment and kind of enjoying the conversations regarding Ehlers and Laine. No real disagreement that they have a lot of room to improve along the boards, defensively and even mentally. What I'm enjoying most is how much concern we as a group are displaying for a 22 and 19 year old respectively that have 40 and 42 points each at a little over the halfway point of the season. :nod: Plethora of riches folks...but I suppose somebody had to take over as the designated "3rd liner" role from Ladd.

Yea we are kind of manufacturing stress now aren’t we :laugh:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Since last night's game I've been thinking about the lines. Really like Connor's game with Scheifele and Wheeler. He just keeps it simple and uses his speed to pursue pucks and his offensive instincts to play off of Scheif and Wheeler. Roslo has been a revelation. I think he is going to be a real effective player for us. Also helped Little by being as strong on the boards as he is. Add in MP's non stop puck pursuit you have a really nice second line.

This leaves Laine and Ehlers dropping down, which may not be a bad thing. Just might take a little pressure off them. I say while we have the match up advantage of the home stand lets put them into offensive situations with favourable match ups with Petan as their center. Maybe all 3 start getting their offensive mojo going. Sure would give Petan the opportunity some believe he has never got. That leaves Copp and Armia with whoever is healthy enough to round out the 4th line. IMO this is the best use of our line up until we get Lowry back and he can take back the tough match ups.

C-S-W
P-L-R
E-P-L
X-C-A

I certainly agree with Bogo on this, as I've always liked Connor with Scheif and Wheeler as well. Scheif and Wheeler drive the play a lot, and also dig out pucks from the boards and pass it out front, to a guy like Connor, who is very much a "sniper." Connor has great hands in close, and doesn't need a lot of space to score.

Also time to change up that second line, and go with Perrault, Roslo, and Little at center. Roslo has really impressed me, and may really surprise people. He's got the whole game, and doesn't look out of place.

Ehler's and Laine have got to get it going-- they did nothing against the Caps ? Seems these young guys are really vulnerable to highs and lows, and have a hard time with a "consistent effort." Be good to drop them to the 3-rd line for awhile and send them a little message and see what they can do.

I'd very much like to see Petan center these 2 guys on the 3-rd line. Petan has impressed me the last 3-4 games and looks like he's playing really well. Maybe he's come of age ?? Looks like he's skating hard and fast, and just maybe he'll turn out well for the Jets.

Reactions: kellhunter

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I thought Petan played pretty well in his time last night, decisive with the puck, battled hard and was responsible, also created a couple of chances. I like Roslo's game but have to wonder how much of it is eye test based, he hasn't produced much really, and that includes a pretty good stint with the top line. I think he'll be a good NHL player but I think much of the difference between him and Petan is how he looks as a player.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
You can see the talent oozing out of Petan. He has that extra something and is starting to put it all together into a finished package that is effective. He’s not nearly all the way there yet but you can see that he’s purposefully changed his game and it’s working.
Message received, maybe just in time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Petan played pretty well in his time last night, decisive with the puck, battled hard and was responsible, also created a couple of chances. I like Roslo's game but have to wonder how much of it is eye test based, he hasn't produced much really, and that includes a pretty good stint with the top line. I think he'll be a good NHL player but I think much of the difference between him and Petan is how he looks as a player.
Roslovic is #3 on the Jets for RelCF%, behind only Perreault and Lowry.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'll take Roz over Petan for all around game - he's better in traffic, much better along the walls and goes hard to the net - and yes, most of that is eye test.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This has happened to many players now. Off the top of my head:

Morrissey
Ehlers
Lowry
Laine?

Seems like something the training staff needs to get under control.

More like the necessary drawbacks on the path from a talented boy to a talented man in peak physical condition.

We have seen it especially in Scheifele it's disappointing people aren't more patient or understanding.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
More like the necessary drawbacks on the path from a talented boy to a talented man in peak physical condition.

We have seen it especially in Scheifele it's disappointing people aren't more patient or understanding.

I think it's more so that people don't understand how hard it is to play in the NHL. Everyone is an "elite" skater compared to lower leagues. People close in on you in 1 second. You often have 1 - 2 seconds to control the puck, look around, and make a play. This league is no joke and that's why only special players can play as a teenager. Scheif couldn't hack it as a teenager and now look at him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Roslovic is #3 on the Jets for RelCF%, behind only Perreault and Lowry.
He had a pretty good run on the top line with Wheeler, which helps. With all the talk about him and given his time on the 1st PP unit, I expected more than 2 goals during that stretch.

He's been good but a lot of it is his style of play. Like I said though, I have no issue with him, just not sure he's that far ahead of Petan in the grand scheme of things, his QOT has been higher overall than Petan but sample is still pretty small for Rosie.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Btw, you seemed to have a different take on CF% earlier in the season if I recall.
That's an oversimplification of my position. I also consider high danger shot attempts, which the Jets were better at than pure shot attempts. I also pointed out that the Jets main problem in shot metrics early on were Scheifele and Wheeler.

My other point was that the predictive value of Corsi per se might be diminishing as teams focus more on shot types and locations. I also indicated that the Jets early shot metrics might be due to score effects that aren't fully adjusted for. I stand by those perspectives, and note that some of the Jets big Corsi games have come when they are chasing the lead, which they are doing more frequently now than early in the season.

Regardless, relative CF is useful for comparison within a team.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He had a pretty good run on the top line with Wheeler, which helps. With all the talk about him and given his time on the 1st PP unit, I expected more than 2 goals during that stretch.

He's been good but a lot of it is his style of play. Like I said though, I have no issue with him, just not sure he's that far ahead of Petan in the grand scheme of things, his QOT has been higher overall than Petan but sample is still pretty small for Rosie.
I hate to say it, but Wheeler hasn't been that great since Roslovic has been up.

Reactions: Roughneck1

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I'd love to see an Ehlers - Petan - Laine line. They'd have to get a lot of ozone starts tho, and hopefully not played with the bottom defensive pairing.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
this is exactly what it is. they are building there foundation the balance and agility comes later.2 years of strength gains then 2 years of speed agility balance work and then hes in his prime for 8 years. peoples expectations are too high sometimes his rookie season he had no pressure now with the team doing so good he is prolly feeling alot of pressure.. look how awkward he is when EVERY game the camera stops at him on the bench in his face for national anthems... i think hes just in his own head right now and maybe the puck retrieval of the boards is bad because the hit he took has him knowing he doesnt have much time and is rushing

tl;dr

Yep. There are other paths to do too, but I'm quite confident that they decided to catch as much developmet as they could that Laine had missed in those couple of off seasons je was injured. Had he had a somewhat normal training history he would've had more strength to work with. And it seems like he's got his feet going for a while now, so all his problems must be because of agility and coordination with that increased strength (and gained muscle of course, it's quite inevitable that he bulked up a bit too).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I love this graphic... have a look at the shot volumes and locations for (and the single shot against), 5v5.

office-2017020873-rosloja97.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yea we are kind of manufacturing stress now aren’t we :laugh:
Just using your post as a jumping off point PS, but I'm actually enjoying a more normalized discussion of all our young wingers. Having 4 wingers still on the ELC's as talented as Ehlers, Laine, Connor and Roslovic may just be unprecedented. I like that both Connor and Rosie are able to find ways to shine and be valuable additions and not just over shadowed by Ehlers and Laine. And IMO at least being able to discuss Laine in a way that doesn't get pushed to mythical extremes is also enjoyable.

We have 4 great young forwards in this group who all have very different skill sets with real strengths to their games but all 4 are still learning and developing and are not yet the finished product. I for one don't need to place them on a hierarchy of importance at this point in their careers. And I'll add it would probably be good for Laine and Ehlers to drop down the lineup for a few games and maybe start learning to simplify parts of their games. Come playoff time we won't survive some of the high risk elements of their games. I also like the thought of throwing Petan in with them as a chance to maybe add him to that group of great young forwards.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I hate to say it, but Wheeler hasn't been that great since Roslovic has been up.
Wheeler has been playing C largely since Roslovic came up. It's affected his game imo but he's still been driving play pretty well.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That's an oversimplification of my position. I also consider high danger shot attempts, which the Jets were better at than pure shot attempts. I also pointed out that the Jets main problem in shot metrics early on were Scheifele and Wheeler.

My other point was that the predictive value of Corsi per se might be diminishing as teams focus more on shot types and locations. I also indicated that the Jets early shot metrics might be due to score effects that aren't fully adjusted for. I stand by those perspectives, and note that some of the Jets big Corsi games have come when they are chasing the lead, which they are doing more frequently now than early in the season.

Regardless, relative CF is useful for comparison within a team.
Just having some fun with you ;).

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Just using your post as a jumping off point PS, but I'm actually enjoying a more normalized discussion of all our young wingers. Having 4 wingers still on the ELC's as talented as Ehlers, Laine, Connor and Roslovic may just be unprecedented. I like that both Connor and Rosie are able to find ways to shine and be valuable additions and not just over shadowed by Ehlers and Laine. And IMO at least being able to discuss Laine in a way that doesn't get pushed to mythical extremes is also enjoyable.

We have 4 great young forwards in this group who all have very different skill sets with real strengths to their games but all 4 are still learning and developing and are not yet the finished product. I for one don't need to place them on a hierarchy of importance at this point in their careers. And I'll add it would probably be good for Laine and Ehlers to drop down the lineup for a few games and maybe start learning to simplify parts of their games. Come playoff time we won't survive some of the high risk elements of their games. I also like the thought of throwing Petan in with them as a chance to maybe add him to that group of great young forwards.
I don't know much about Petan, but I have liked what I've seen from him since he's been called up. He seems like a creative player and playmaker that could work well with a finisher like Laine. I'd like to see those two with a a good grinder/forechecker and give them offensive zone starts.

Reactions: ecolad and Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad