Hronek, Filip

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Skating forwards he is pretty strong. Weakness is skating backwards as forwards here in the AHL catching him flat-footed at times and blows by Hronek on the defensive end.

This is Hronek rookie season here in the AHL and yes he played some games last season in GR after Saginaw season was over under a amateur contract.

Kronwall was much better overall d-man here in GR, thus winning the AHL Eddie Shore (best d-man) award and 1st AHL All-Star team on D for 2004-05 season. Hronek has great offensive skill and produces points here, but his defensive game needs work in order to be a great d-man and make it in the NHL. Time will tell if that happens. He is make strides in that area and I hope he does make it there.

Hronek was 19 to start the season.
Kronwall was 23 to start the season when he won the Eddie Shore.

I'm not going to say Hronek is going to be better than Kronwall or anything like that. But comparing Hronek at 19 to Kronwall at 23 doesn't serve any useful purpose

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Hronek was 19 to start the season.
Kronwall was 23 to start the season when he won the Eddie Shore.

I'm not going to say Hronek is going to be better than Kronwall or anything like that. But comparing Hronek at 19 to Kronwall at 23 doesn't serve any useful purpose

That comparison had already been made multiple times in this thread. GrGriffins just posted the numbers, the hardware and his opinion to lend a little perspective to the comparisons others had made. Always appreciate his input and insight on our boys in GR.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That comparison had already been made multiple times in this thread. GrGriffins just posted the numbers, the hardware and his opinion to lend a little perspective to the comparisons others had made. Always appreciate his input and insight on our boys in GR.

Fair enough. And I appreciate GRG's posts because he watches the games.

When he says Hronek is weak in his own end, I believe it.

But I still don't see the point in comparing 19-20 year old Hronek to 23-24 year old Kronwall.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

But I still don't see the point in comparing 19-20 year old Hronek to 23-24 year old Kronwall.

I agree. I personally don't like to make comparisons that could constitute overrating prospects. I am excited about Hronek's development, but comparing him to what Kronwall was doing 3 years older could eventually cause a lot of let downs. Hronek's at that age where he could keep developing, or hit a wall. Kindl, Smith, Sproul should have taught us to be careful when comparing. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, though.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I agree. I personally don't like to make comparisons that could constitute overrating prospects. I am excited about Hronek's development, but comparing him to what Kronwall was doing 3 years older could eventually cause a lot of let downs. Hronek's at that age where he could keep developing, or hit a wall. Kindl, Smith, Sproul should have taught us to be careful when comparing. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best, though.

Yeah, Sproul had a nice season as an AHL rookie, 11-21-2. And then he took a big step backward the next year.
His defense and decision making just never developed.

Smith had a nice 10-20-32 season in 63 AHL games as a rookie.
Heck, even in the NHL he put up 7 points in 14 games as a rookie.
But he just never seemed to get smarter with experience.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
The key thing to remember when comparing sproul/Smith/Kronner to Hronek is to remember that Hronek is looking more impressive offensively in AHL as of right now in his rookie season while also being younger than all of those mentioned above.

But I do however a 100% agree that if there's something we've learned from our previously promising dmen-prospects is that we shouldn't take out any premature predictions before hand.

But if I'm gonna be optimistic and make a prediction I do believe that Hronek has a good chance of becoming a Brodie/Faulk type of defensemen, like a really solid 2#D. It's too early obviously and another warning sign is that the majority of his production has come from a hot streak where he seemingly finds himself on the scoresheet every night.

At the end of the day he's our best prospect in the system, but the hard truth is that there's no way he's our answer to our ever ending quest to find a real 1#D.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fact is most of our promising D prospects became a lot less promising the moment they hit the AHL.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I watched 5 games last year (4 at the end of the season and 1 playoff game) and 2 this year in which Hronek played for the Griffs. I check out all the highlights (on the AHL site and youtube). The AHL site posts a longer highlight reel for each game (although there are a couple of AHL teams which post about 10 minutes of highlights for each game) but won't post the fights and scrums. I pay particular attention to Hronek and I have seen a fearless player who is extremely competitive and always plays the body.
He is extremely active (somewhat of a jitterbug) always trying to anticipate the play, very aggressive in challenging the opponents, forcing plays and trying to gain or maintain puck possession sometimes getting himself into trouble because he is overly aggressive but most of the time he makes the plays that most other wouldn't.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Kindl was very disappointing with the Griffs.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Before the all-star game in which Larkin broke the record, there were Red Wing fans who watch the games stating that Larkin's skating is overrated.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
When does Hronek get the call?

Some time next season. I highly doubt you will see him in Detroit this season, but I have been wrong before.

With Bertuzzi and Coreau using the Wings first 2 of 4 after the TDL call ups, the Wings will most likely use the other 2 on fringe players in GR whose contracts are up after this season (Forwards: Lorito, Tangradi, Street, Puempel; D-man: Renouf; Goalies: Machovsky (if Howard or Coreau gets hurt)) and to find out if they want to resign any of them for next season or let them go.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Some time next season. I highly doubt you will see him in Detroit this season, but I have been wrong before.

You state sometime next season, do you not believe he'll crack the lineup out of training camp? Needs a bit more ahl time next season?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
More likely there’s no space because the roster will be filled with #7 defenseman like Jensen, oullette, Ericsson, etc

Reactions: Winger98

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You state sometime next season, do you not believe he'll crack the lineup out of training camp? Needs a bit more ahl time next season?

Hronek is a d-man, not a forward. He is awesome on the offensive side of his game. He can quaterback the point on the pp, plus he is not afraid to shoot from just about anywhere. His major issue right now is in his defensive side of his game, which is borderline terrible. Inconsistent in his own end of the ice. Sunday's game once again, scores an early goal that most of the people of this board sees and gets excited about, but after that goal, Iowa forwards blew right on by Hronek 3 times in the Griffins zone in the first 2 periods to where Machovsky had to make a great save each time to bail him out. Hronek can not quickly adjust skatingwise from going forward to going backwards in the neutral zone and forwards from other teams blow right on by him each time to where Hronek can not even tackle or interfere with the winger to get a penalty call to stop him. Later in the game, he broke up a 2 on 1 (thanks to Russo getting caught in the offensive end) breakaway by blocking the cross ice pass in the third period.

Hronek has a habit of not hustling to get the puck in his own zone when the other team dumps down the ice (most of the time when the Griffins are on the PP). Other teams are picking this up and sends a fore checker right on him to where Hronek either panics when the fore checker is right behind him and has to quickly move the puck and turns the puck over or checks up to where the fore checker cuts in front of him and ends up with the puck behind the Griffins net.

Hronek has to improve defending in those areas if he wants to be an NHLer and stay up there. If he does get called up this season to Detroit, see how he plays in his own zone and then you will know what I'm talking about. Especially if his offensive side of his game gets shut down by the other team. That is why he is in GR right now to work out and improve his weaknesses.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we traded both Green and XO, probably in the next week or two. If the Wings don't re-sign Green, then maybe a month or so into next season.

They have talked pretty openly about Cholowski and Hronek also having a shot to make a case.

My guess is that is Hronek's real problem. Cholowski is significantly better in his own end which is going to matter at the NHL level. I think he along with hopefully our 2018 1st round top 10 pick have a better shot at the team than Hronek.

However, Hronek I do believe will get a look in March and can help change that feeling. Cholowski has the size and defensive prowess to more than likely jump Hronek in terms of the open slots when they are both in training camp.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They have talked pretty openly about Cholowski and Hronek also having a shot to make a case.

My guess is that is Hronek's real problem. Cholowski is significantly better in his own end which is going to matter at the NHL level. I think he along with hopefully our 2018 1st round top 10 pick have a better shot at the team than Hronek.

However, Hronek I do believe will get a look in March and can help change that feeling. Cholowski has the size and defensive prowess to more than likely jump Hronek in terms of the open slots when they are both in training camp.

I agree, but he can develop that in the NHL you know?

If you’re good enough offensively, might as well put them in the NHL and let them get their feet wet. Kind of like Philly with Ghost. Our PP could use some slick offensive guys like Hronek.

Most good defenseman weren’t in the AHL for long. I don’t want to overripen these guys anymore, I don’t think it’s the way to go.

We will see what we do. Hronek is young still. Even if he doesn’t make the team til the start of next year he will be making it before 22.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree, but he can develop that in the NHL you know?

If you’re good enough offensively, might as well put them in the NHL and let them get their feet wet. Kind of like Philly with Ghost. Our PP could use some slick offensive guys like Hronek.

Most good defenseman weren’t in the AHL for long. I don’t want to overripen these guys anymore, I don’t think it’s the way to go.

We will see what we do. Hronek is young still. Even if he doesn’t make the team til the start of next year he will be making it before 22.

I am not saying he has to be or anything like that. My point was Hronek has likely two but absolutely one guy that will challenge him for a roster spot in terms of other prospects.

Ghost was a college player that was older anyway.

But this isn't an over-ripening situation necessarily. It is very real that even if they had two spots somewhat open after July 1 that Hronek could have an issue potentially beating out who is there.

It is hard for me to say at the end of February this guy should have a roster spot is all. I like most of us wish we left at least one spot and now I think we should seriously think about two spots in terms of where we are working in prospects. We have heard the plan up front, I think they will hint at it in a bigger way with the D post-draft. Rasmussen and Svechnikov (hey hopefully both of them) seem to be in the plans next year. My guess is one of the big two current guys in Cholowski and Hronek is also in the Red Wings roster plans next year. They are hinting at this the same way they did with Larkin in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad