Howard/Ericcson/Cap

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not true at all, if Holland didn't want Hasek he didn't have to acquire him. Holland still made some good trades, we don't need to take stuff away from him, just because he gave out some bad contracts.
Were you around when the trade happened?
If I as not mistaken our plan was to bring in Robitaille.
Then Hasek traded himself to the wings and the players brought in Hull.
Hasek trade was probably or in my opinion the best trade in wings history. We gave up Kozlov and 2 first rounders (which never became nhlers). Maybe I am not correct about all the details, but that's roughly how it was.
Holland brought in Olauson and traded for Slegr.

Holland is considered one of the best if not the best GM I entire NHL and I am not disputing that. I think it is a very big chance he wins the cup with the Oilers.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hasek trade was probably or in my opinion the best trade in wings history. We gave up Kozlov and 2 first rounders (which never became nhlers). Maybe I am not correct about all the details, but that's roughly how it was.

Holland is considered one of the best if not the best GM I entire NHL and I am not disputing that. I think it is a very big chance he wins the cup with the Oilers.

How exactly does a player trade themselves somewhere? He wasn't the GM of either team, that comment makes no sense at all!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Also let Vernon walk after -97 win and did get a repeat.

It wasn't perfect, but somehow he managed to get 3 Cups.

Goalies come and go. Imo, all are headcases. They get hot and cold.

Only rule is that don't commit for anybody long-term.
He lost both cup winning goalies for nothing. But they both did a great job in the cup runs in 97, 98 and 08. Both Vernon and Osgood struggled during the regular season but did the great job in the playoffs.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Really simple. He would have needed a qualifying offer akin to that of a top 20 goalie in the NHL at a point his numbers were massively declined. If the wings could have done so for, say, $1.5-2m, they would have kept him (unless his relationship with teammates had caved that much)

Wings could have not qualified him making him a free agent and then signed him for whatever they could have agreed to. The could have kept him, but maybe the relationship was fractured.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
How exactly does a player trade themselves somewhere? He wasn't the GM of either team, that comment makes no sense at all!
When did you start following the wings?

Hasek went to his GM and said he wanted to be traded to the wings and said that the GM should not ask for too much in return.
We gave up Kozlov, but we got Hull and Robitaille for free.

We entered the season as the clear favourite.
We won the president trophy.
We beat the arch rivals the avs in conference finals.
We won the cup.

It was a great run.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He lost both cup winning goalies for nothing. But they both did a great job in the cup runs in 97, 98 and 08. Both Vernon and Osgood struggled during the regular season but did the great job in the playoffs.

2008 Osgood didn't struggle. He was looking great through regular season and Hasek was problematic. Change happened on the critical moment.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When did you start following the wings?

Hasek went to his GM and said he wanted to be traded to the wings and said that the GM should not ask for too much in return.

We entered the season as the clear favourite.
We won the president trophy.
We beat the arch rivals the avs in conference finals.
We won the cup.

It was a great run.

A player can demand whatever they want, no GM is handcuffed into doing anything they don't want to. I have followed the Wings since 1990, and that doesn't matter anyways, as no player can force a trade anywhere just because they want to. What GM is listening to any player when he says trade me to so and so, and oh by the way, don't ask for too much back! Even Mike Milbury and Peter Chiarelli aren't that dumb.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Kozlov + 1st <> Hasek.

We did get Robitaille (yeah, to replace Kozlov) and Brett Hull later, but also Martin Lapointe left to Boston for crazy 5M offer. We got Hull to replace him for same 5M in August, when nobody else at UFA didn't want him.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

Holland got 2 second round picks for Vernie at least. They didn't amount to anything, but of note, one of those picks is now coaching the Maple Leafs =D

I believe Osgood was lost in the waiver draft so hard to entirely fault him for that, after the greatest goalie of all time fell into his lap. Wings couldn't protect everyone after acquiring Hasek.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
2008 Osgood didn't struggle. He was looking great through regular season and Hasek was problematic. Change happened on the critical moment.
I do not see the point of splitting a hair here.
Vernon struggled to win regular season games in 97, but won CS in the playoffs. Obviously motivation factors.
Osgood struggled after 98 and lost his job to Legace. Then the change of scanady helped him find his game. Osgood came short one game of becoming a great goalie and winning back to back. I do not think any goalie came that close. He is probably the only one.

Reactions: Henkka

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Kozlov + 1st <> Hasek.

We did get Robitaille (yeah, to replace Kozlov) and Brett Hull later, but also Martin Lapointe left to Boston for crazy 5M offer. We got Hull to replace him for same 5M in August, when nobody else at UFA didn't want him.
I forgot about LaPenalty .
I believe the Bruins signed him for 5,5. I think Holland's offer was 3. It was the right offer. I thought that even 3 was a bit too high for him. I believe he wanted out of Detroit. Not even the kiss on the bench by yzerman helped that matter.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Holland got 2 second round picks for Vernie at least. They didn't amount to anything, but of note, one of those picks is now coaching the Maple Leafs =D

I believe Osgood was lost in the waiver draft so hard to entirely fault him for that, after the greatest goalie of all time fell into his lap. Wings couldn't protect everyone after acquiring Hasek.
Nobody can blame Holland. He could not dream that one of the best goalie ever wanted to come to Detroit.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I believe the Bruins signed him for 5,5. I think Holland's offer was 3. It was the right offer. I thought that even 3 was a bit too high for him. I believe he wanted out of Detroit. Not even the kiss on the bench by yzerman helped that matter.
If you want to feel old, Lapointe's son is set to play for Michigan hockey in the next year or two. :wally:

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can still remember the turning point where most of the leagues stars were starting to be younger than me. That was an eye opener now they all seem like kids to me unless they are in their 30's

I hope Chara never retires. He is the only NHL player older than me currently, after Matt Cullen retired.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Wings could have not qualified him making him a free agent and then signed him for whatever they could have agreed to. The could have kept him, but maybe the relationship was fractured.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Petr Mrazek wouldn't have been understandably livid if they did that. No prayer he does that for Detroit. Guys who forgo a qualified tender are usually those with non-substantial amounts. Like they forgo 800k to sign for 500k to stick around. They don't forgo 4M+ for 1M or whatever you'd feel warm and fuzzy about giving a leaky sieve like Mrazek at that time.

He was already pissed because they didn't trade Howard and they left him unprotected for Expansion.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Oh yeah, I'm sure Petr Mrazek wouldn't have been understandably livid if they did that. No prayer he does that for Detroit. Guys who forgo a qualified tender are usually those with non-substantial amounts. Like they forgo 800k to sign for 500k to stick around. They don't forgo 4M+ for 1M or whatever you'd feel warm and fuzzy about giving a leaky sieve like Mrazek at that time.

He was already pissed because they didn't trade Howard and they left him unprotected for Expansion.

Never said it would have happened, just that it could have happened. And he did sign for $1.5m with Carolina.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Wings also trying to bring in Roenick but his wife preferred Philadelphia?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Doubt Holland wins it there.
Unless he wins this year.

But we'll see.
Let's see if Holland has learned his Abdelkader lesson on the next Kassian contract.

The Kassian contract will be a huge indicator of what Holland has learned from his mistakes in Detroit.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Wings also trying to bring in Roenick but his wife preferred Philadelphia?
I believe he said he did not want to come to Detroit because the goaltending was not good enough.

I believe the philly's first game that year in Detroit they had the lead 2-1, then Hull and Fedorov scored in the very last min and we won 3-2. Roenicks face expression was priceless .

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Doubt Holland wins it there.
Unless he wins this year.

But we'll see.
Let's see if Holland has learned his Abdelkader lesson on the next Kassian contract.

The Kassian contract will be a huge indicator of what Holland has learned from his mistakes in Detroit.
All he has to do is finetune that team.
He does not have to do much, he is their placebo effect, he is been there done that.
I think his chance to win is much bigger than, obviously now, babcocks.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yep, that's correct. His wife is an equestrian & apparently there are no horses in Michigan. It worked out for the best though, we got Luc & later in August, Hull. Roenick's contract would've been an anchor anyways & I like Roenick, should be in the HOF. His 3 yrs in Philly were productive, but he wasn't the 90's version of Roenick, or even close to it. The following 4 years, the wheels fell off.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I don't think LaPointe wanted out so much as Boston way overpaid. At the time I think it was sort of attributed as a bit of payback by Jacobs for Ilitch calling him cheap during an owners meeting.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't think LaPointe wanted out so much as Boston way overpaid. At the time I think it was sort of attributed as a bit of payback by Jacobs for Ilitch calling him cheap during an owners meeting.

True. I forgot that ilitch called him stingy.

Anyhow we got Hull for 5M one year deal, they got LaPointe for 5,5 multi year deal. Way much better for us.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad