Howard/Ericcson/Cap

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
#RedWings have recalled D Jonathan Ericsson from
@griffinshockey
and reassigned G Calvin Pickard. So Wings apparently will keep Eric Comrie on roster until Jimmy Howard returns from his injury, which Blashill said is not long-term.FYI this was just all paperwork because the addition of Comrie would have put the Wings above the max on the active roster. They needed to send someone down until Comrie was physically available and they could then send down Pickard.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Trying to catch a spark somewhere with Comrie? Idk. Hopefully it works out. If he plays well, what do we do with Howard at this point is the real question. A lot of people think it's unreasonable to waive/send down Howard but I think they're at least trying to set the stage for that to happen. Comrie would have to play really well for that to happen.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Trying to catch a spark somewhere with Comrie? Idk. Hopefully it works out. If he plays well, what do we do with Howard at this point is the real question. A lot of people think it's unreasonable to waive/send down Howard but I think they're at least trying to set the stage for that to happen. Comrie would have to play really well for that to happen.

This doesn’t feel like a “hold me over” move to me. I think Yzerman knew Arizona had to move a goalie ultimately, and with Kuemper and Raanta both playing very well, Comrie was the odd man out. He was in the AHL on a conditioning stint, not on assignment, and still needed to clear waivers if he were going to stay in Tucson.

I think Yzerman is a fan of Comrie’s age and ability, and based our current situation, it was a no brainer to give up a roster blocked AHL defenseman who likely had no future in the Wings organization to guarantee himself Comrie, and also not complicating the contract count on the roster.

I don’t know how he plans on managing the roster, but I feel like this was step one of figuring out the goaltending situation for the near future while we assemble the full picture.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This doesn’t feel like a “hold me over” move to me. I think Yzerman knew Arizona had to move a goalie ultimately, and with Kuemper and Raanta both playing very well, Comrie was the odd man out. He was in the AHL on a conditioning stint, not on assignment, and still needed to clear waivers if he were going to stay in Tucson.

I think Yzerman is a fan of Comrie’s age and ability, and based our current situation, it was a no brainer to give up a roster blocked AHL defenseman who likely had no future in the Wings organization to guarantee himself Comrie, and also not complicating the contract count on the roster.

I don’t know how he plans on managing the roster, but I feel like this was step one of figuring out the goaltending situation for the near future while we assemble the full picture.
I agree but I wonder why ARI would want Villi? Do they see value in him? Kinda looks bad he never even got one game in the NHL so far. I like how Yzerman keeps trading "assets" that have no future here. Smart moves.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I agree but I wonder why ARI would want Villi? Do they see value in him? Kinda looks bad he never even got one game in the NHL so far. I like how Yzerman keeps trading "assets" that have no future here. Smart moves.

Arizona probably values giving Vili a chance to prove something more than they do waiving Comrie, which inevitably leads to him being claimed.

For all we know, it could have been Arizona who called Steve and said “hey, we have to move Comrie and your goaltending situation looks weak, would you be interested?” I think it’s smart to move assets that project to be low impact, or no impact, for players who might just need a chance.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Reddit wings fans think that there's a trade market out there for Howard. lmfao delusion. Just waive the guy and send him down to Grand Rapids. If his ego is to big to report, then so what, no big loss.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Reddit wings fans think that there's a trade market out there for Howard. lmfao delusion. Just waive the guy and send him down to Grand Rapids. If his ego is to big to report, then so what, no big loss.

Did Jimmy Howard kick your dog? There isn't necessarily a trade market for him... but that's because he's been pretty bad this year (as you've documented in earlier posts). However, he's also got several years of being a pretty good goalie. Just waiving guys to waive them is silly. Cutting guys just to have them gone is nuts when they're not actually a roster problem. Like he does something unsavory and whatever, cut him and run. But this is a guy who as recently as last year was playing some good hockey. Seeing as literally every goalie on their roster is playing like garbage behind this defense... I don't know that I'd necessarily put all the blame on Howard.

What indication do you have that his ego is too big to report? When has Jimmy Howard ever given that as an indication? Because he didn't want to lose his starting role to Petr Mrazek because he got hurt?

Basically, if Comrie plays well, you could send Howard down and run with Bernier/Comrie. But it would be incumbent on that happening.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I expect when Howard comes back Comrie may go to GR and join Pickard while Larsson may to go to the ECHL Howard has been awful this year but you only as good as it what is in front of you.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Did Jimmy Howard kick your dog? There isn't necessarily a trade market for him... but that's because he's been pretty bad this year (as you've documented in earlier posts). However, he's also got several years of being a pretty good goalie. Just waiving guys to waive them is silly. Cutting guys just to have them gone is nuts when they're not actually a roster problem. Like he does something unsavory and whatever, cut him and run. But this is a guy who as recently as last year was playing some good hockey. Seeing as literally every goalie on their roster is playing like garbage behind this defense... I don't know that I'd necessarily put all the blame on Howard.

What indication do you have that his ego is too big to report? When has Jimmy Howard ever given that as an indication? Because he didn't want to lose his starting role to Petr Mrazek because he got hurt?

Basically, if Comrie plays well, you could send Howard down and run with Bernier/Comrie. But it would be incumbent on that happening.

What's good?
I think Howard has been "good" one year since 12-13. The year he was injured and only played 26 games.
Otherwise he's been mediocre to average at best.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
What's good?
I think Howard has been "good" one year since 12-13. The year he was injured and only played 26 games.
Otherwise he's been mediocre to average at best.
f*** me exactly. Such a myth that Howard's been some excellent franchise goaltender. He hasn't won anything. Zero accolades (unless meaningless All star picks mean something to you) and has never gone past the 2nd round in the playoffs even with Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg playing in front of him.

Even when we were a good team, Howard was one of our weak links. I seemingly recall always cringing at Howard's incredible ability to let in late last minute game tying goals and other backbreakers all of the time. Howard was never anything special.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I expect when Howard comes back Comrie may go to GR and join Pickard while Larsson may to go to the ECHL Howard has been awful this year but you only as good as it what is in front of you.
Why would the team expose Comrie to waivers when they know Howie would clear?

Howie is on the last year of his contract, hasn't played well, and usually plays worse the second half of the season after an injury. Howie has no future with this club, it's time to move on. Makes more sense to give Comrie a chance, at least he potentially has a NHL future, however slim that chance may be.

For the team to become better, it needs to shed these washed up vets.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Arizona probably values giving Vili a chance to prove something more than they do waiving Comrie, which inevitably leads to him being claimed.

For all we know, it could have been Arizona who called Steve and said “hey, we have to move Comrie and your goaltending situation looks weak, would you be interested?” I think it’s smart to move assets that project to be low impact, or no impact, for players who might just need a chance.
Considering that the Wings are first in the waiver order right now (being last in the league), this makes sense. Arizona knew Stevie would claim Comrie, so they made the trade. Better to get something than nothing, even if it's a filler for the AHL club.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Would Comrie have to clear waivers to be sent down again? We don't have a #1 goalie. Bernier is best as a backup but probably has to play the #1 role at this point. I personally don't see Howard rebounding, he's 35 and has always tailed off as the season has progressed. You could usually bank on him getting off to a hot start but that clearly didn't happen this year. I have no idea what to expect from Comrie but I do wonder if he'd need to clear waivers in order to be sent down to Grand Rapids.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would Comrie have to clear waivers to be sent down again? We don't have a #1 goalie. Bernier is best as a backup but probably has to play the #1 role at this point. I personally don't see Howard rebounding, he's 35 and has always tailed off as the season has progressed. You could usually bank on him getting off to a hot start but that clearly didn't happen this year. I have no idea what to expect from Comrie but I do wonder if he'd need to clear waivers in order to be sent down to Grand Rapids.

He does. He was only in Tucson for a conditioning stint and he is no longer waiver eligible. He’s either in the NHL or he has to clear waivers.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He does. He was only in Tucson for a conditioning stint and he is no longer waiver eligible. He’s either in the NHL or he has to clear waivers.
It would seem kinda weird to trade an asset for him and risk losing him for nothing. We could have done that without giving up anything. So it seems like the plan may be to keep him in Detroit. Like I said, I don't think Howard has anything left. I get that you can't just LTIR him if he doesn't have a significant injury but it would be cruel to keep putting him out there when he has nothing left.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It would seem kinda weird to trade an asset for him and risk losing him for nothing. We could have done that without giving up anything. So it seems like the plan may be to keep him in Detroit. Like I said, I don't think Howard has anything left. I get that you can't just LTIR him if he doesn't have a significant injury but it would be cruel to keep putting him out there when he has nothing left.

I am thinking this “short term injury” becomes a longer term injury because he struggles to get healthy and up to speed. The other potential move, we’ve already seen SY waive Ericsson and assign him to GR because he was the odd man out on the blue line.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Howard never was a world beater he was just an average goalie in a long line of average goalies that the wings put behind a world class defense, the world class defense days are long gone and just expose Howard for what he is, the average goalie he always was entering the twilight of his career. I don't imagine Comrie will turn into much and it sounds like Larson is not really working out well. Bernier doesn't seem like our future, Pickard looks like a career AHL goalie, and Howard's contract ends this season. I still don't think this was much more than an AHL ECHL shakeup.

I think this is nothing more than Yzerman throwing a longshot chance at Comrie to strike lightning in a bottle and if he doesn't then be sent back to obscurity.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Howard never was a world beater he was just an average goalie in a long line of average goalies that the wings put behind a world class defense, the world class defense days are long gone and just expose Howard for what he is, the average goalie he always was entering the twilight of his career. I don't imagine Comrie will turn into much and it sounds like Larson is not really working out well. Bernier doesn't seem like our future, Pickard looks like a career AHL goalie, and Howard's contract ends this season. I still don't think this was much more than an AHL ECHL shakeup.

I think this is nothing more than Yzerman throwing a longshot chance at Comrie to strike lightning in a bottle and if he doesn't then be sent back to obscurity.
It seems like Larsson isn't ready to be the guy in the AHL just yet so you need to send Pickard back down. Howard doesn't seem to be NHL caliber any longer so Comrie buys some time and likely replaces Howard unless he's a total gong show. It seems like a decent low key move on a team that will struggle to hit 50 points this season.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Howard has ZERO trade value. Injury prone ever year. Has never been past the 2nd round. Should have never been resigned and should definitely go through waivers first.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Howard has ZERO trade value. Injury prone ever year. Has never been past the 2nd round. Should have never been resigned and should definitely go through waivers first.

Every player can be traded. The question is where does the value come from. If it ever got to the point (which it won't) that Howard was so bad, and taking up so much cap space, packing a pick with him to get him off the roster would have trade value.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It seems like Larsson isn't ready to be the guy in the AHL just yet so you need to send Pickard back down. Howard doesn't seem to be NHL caliber any longer so Comrie buys some time and likely replaces Howard unless he's a total gong show. It seems like a decent low key move on a team that will struggle to hit 50 points this season.

I agree the wings just need a warm body in net to get through the season. This is more injury management then any kind of actual move.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Every player can be traded. The question is where does the value come from. If it ever got to the point (which it won't) that Howard was so bad, and taking up so much cap space, packing a pick with him to get him off the roster would have trade value.
We should have kept Mrazek over Howard. Not saying he is perfect but he is the better goalie and A LOT younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad