Howard/Ericcson/Cap

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Howard had trade value before he started becoming an injury risk. Howard's injuries have not only effected his ability he also doesn't look like he can get thorough a full season any longer. I really don't see anyone trading for a a 35 year old UFA goalie that has a below average performance that is struggling with injuries and used to making starter money.

Maybe if Howard is willing to switch to a backup role and sign at league minimum wings could find a dance partner.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
We should have kept Mrazek over Howard. Not saying he is perfect but he is the better goalie and A LOT younger.

I really never understood the Mrazek trade, it pissed me off honestly. They basically gave him away. I know he really struggled to show anything while he was here but there was no reason to move him for nothing especially when there is nothing solid in the pipeline. I really disagreed with the trade. I think I wasn't too vocal at the time because I was just tired of all the whining about his development and at least that was finally going to stop lol.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I really never understood the Mrazek trade, it pissed me off honestly. They basically gave him away. I know he really struggled to show anything while he was here but there was no reason to move him for nothing especially when there is nothing solid in the pipeline. I really disagreed with the trade. I think I wasn't too vocal at the time because I was just tired of all the whining about his development and at least that was finally going to stop lol.
He was overpaid and underperforming. That trade won't make a difference in the long run.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think the wings strategy to prioritize the streak over building a future impacted Mrazek's development a lot. He really never got the sink or swim long leash stability in his development curve a goalie needs to transition to the NHL. He was always behind stop gap signings in the pecking order and when he did get his chance as soon as he had a bad game it was back to Howard or Monster and he didn't see the net again for like 6-7 games. In most cases we really never know what a goalie is made of till you make them the guy. Not a make or break for the organization but another ripple effect of the streak that nothing came out of him IMO.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We should have kept Mrazek over Howard. Not saying he is perfect but he is the better goalie and A LOT younger.

no, he isn’t. Mrazek would be doing the same **** with this roster that Howard is. Probably worse because Mrazek overcommits all over the ice and relies on his defense to play responsibly.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think the wings strategy to prioritize the streak over building a future impacted Mrazek's development a lot. He really never got the sink or swim long leash stability in his development curve a goalie needs to transition to the NHL. He was always behind stop gap signings in the pecking order and when he did get his chance as soon as he had a bad game it was back to Howard or Monster and he didn't see the net again for like 6-7 games. In most cases we really never know what a goalie is made of till you make them the guy. Not a make or break for the organization but another ripple effect of the streak that nothing came out of him IMO.

Again, what? Mrazek was the number 1 goalie in 15-16 and 16-17. He lost the net in 16-17 because he was hot garbage as it came into March. You don’t get benched for 6-7 game periods and start 49 and 44 games in consecutive years. If that happened, it happened in 17-18 when the Wings were complete **** with him or Howard in net. He didn’t start until mid January of 14-15. He had 26 starts that year from Jan-Apr.

so basically for a three year period, he started far more games than any other goalie in Detroit.

He never got the sink or swim long leash? He was given the net as starter probably a year or two earlier than he should have been due to Howard’s injuries. Trying to maintain the streak hurt Mrazek by thrusting him into being a starter... not by giving starts to other guys. Mrazek never got the time and coaching to work out his overcommitting on the shooter away from the limelight.

Petr Mrazek was not a great goaltender.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Howard was playing really well until about January of last year. His numbers were unsustainable with the team in front of him.

Howard has done that consistently for the past 5 years. Start hot and play well for a couple months, then he nosedives. Sometimes there is an injury or illness involved. Sometimes he just sucks and loses his starter gig. He's been doing this since back when the Wings were a playoff team.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Based on everything that happened i think it’s fairly obvious that Mrazek did not want to be here and the rest of the league knew it. I don’t agree with trading him (would’ve preferred Holland pulled a Stevie Y to Drouin), but at that point it was clear he wasn’t in Detroit’s long term plans, nor Detroit in his.

As for his talent level, while I agree his flashiness may make him seem better than he actually is, there really shouldn’t be a question that he is better than Howard currently. Ask yourself this, do you think the Canes would have went to the ECF if they had Howard in net instead? Because while we’ll never know for sure, I sure as hell cant picture it

Reactions: TheClap

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I could see keeping him because he's the younger goalie during the rebuilding years, but he in no way showed he was better than Howard in his time in Detroit. Even outside of Detroit he really hasn't.

I guess you could argue that Mrazek is less injury prone, which is true, but he had every chance to take the starting spot from Jimmy and never played well enough to hang onto it.

Honestly I was surprised when the Wings exposed him in the expansion draft. It seemed early for the Wings to give up on a player given how they usually do things and makes me think there was something going on behind the scenes.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Really simple. He would have needed a qualifying offer akin to that of a top 20 goalie in the NHL at a point his numbers were massively declined. If the wings could have done so for, say, $1.5-2m, they would have kept him (unless his relationship with teammates had caved that much)

Reactions: waltdetroit

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Again, what? Mrazek was the number 1 goalie in 15-16 and 16-17. He lost the net in 16-17 because he was hot garbage as it came into March. You don’t get benched for 6-7 game periods and start 49 and 44 games in consecutive years. If that happened, it happened in 17-18 when the Wings were complete **** with him or Howard in net. He didn’t start until mid January of 14-15. He had 26 starts that year from Jan-Apr.

so basically for a three year period, he started far more games than any other goalie in Detroit.

He never got the sink or swim long leash? He was given the net as starter probably a year or two earlier than he should have been due to Howard’s injuries. Trying to maintain the streak hurt Mrazek by thrusting him into being a starter... not by giving starts to other guys. Mrazek never got the time and coaching to work out his overcommitting on the shooter away from the limelight.

Petr Mrazek was not a great goaltender.

I am talking about the years before that, when he did get his shot it was in front of a garbage roster. So they basically flubbed his development, then put him in an unwinnable situation, then traded him for nothing. I think it could have went down better than it did.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014

He was the only tradeable goalie. Cheaper, younger, deal about to expire compared to imjury prone Howard and his albatross of a contract.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It will be interesting to see whether the Wings over the off season will add another goalie either in a trade or UFA.
Probably UFA, plenty of better options below Howie's salary:
2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker

The other route would be to stick with Bernie for one more year, and pick up a backup on waivers like Copley from the Caps (if they re-sign Holtby) or some other team...

Absolutely no reason to give Howie another contract with all f the goalies that are available. The real question is if they commit long term or find another stop gap player again.

Reactions: JIM Johnson

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Probably UFA, plenty of better options below Howie's salary:
2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker

The other route would be to stick with Bernie for one more year, and pick up a backup on waivers like Copley from the Caps (if they re-sign Holtby) or some other team...

Absolutely no reason to give Howie another contract with all f the goalies that are available. The real question is if they commit long term or find another stop gap player again.
Most of the quality UFA goalies like Crawford are long in the tooth. Markstrom seems to be the only besides Holtby that might fit. Obviously Markstrom would be more affordable. Larsson will not be ready for a few years so Bernier I am hoping going forward is a back up. Howard is done in Detroit as far as I'm concerned. I cannot see both Bernier and Howard back next year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Most of the quality UFA goalies like Crawford are long in the tooth. Markstrom seems to be the only besides Holtby that might fit. Obviously Markstrom would be more affordable. Larsson will not be ready for a few years so Bernier I am hoping going forward is a back up. Howard is done in Detroit as far as I'm concerned. I cannot see both Bernier and Howard back next year.
Howard's contract ends this season, Bernie has one more season. Stevie will plan around that, no reason to buy Bernie out. He's playing at backup level.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Who signed Howard and Bernie?

I think Holland's biggest weakness was goalies. He always messed it up with goalies.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Who signed Howard and Bernie?

I think Holland's biggest weakness was goalies. He always messed it up with goalies.

Well Hasek in 2002 worked great.
As did bringing Osgood back after the lockout.
So I'd say he mostly messed it up with goalies ;)

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Hasek traded himself to Detroit. Holland did nothing.
Osgood always wanted to be a wing.

Holland was a goalie himself.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hasek traded himself to Detroit. Holland did nothing.
Osgood always wanted to be a wing.

Holland was a goalie himself.

Not true at all, if Holland didn't want Hasek he didn't have to acquire him. Holland still made some good trades, we don't need to take stuff away from him, just because he gave out some bad contracts.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Also let Vernon walk after -97 win and did get a repeat.

It wasn't perfect, but somehow he managed to get 3 Cups.

Goalies come and go. Imo, all are headcases. They get hot and cold.

Only rule is that don't commit for anybody long-term.

Reactions: TheClap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad