How should the Jets manage their biggest flaw for next season?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
What should happen with the 2nd Line/ Top 6 Center?

I mean it is our biggest flaw on paper for most of the season(prior to Stastny and as we are likely parting with him it might be a liability again)....

Here’s pretty much all the common options(or so I think atleast)...

- Little

- Roslovic

- Lowry

- Stastny(/resigning)

- Copp

- Committee of players chip in

- Trade

- Free Agency

- Wheeler

- Petan

- Appleton

Please explain who you think should be the 2C and also please explain who you think will be the 2C...

Personally I hope 1 of 3 thongs happen, 1. Re-sign Stastny, 2. Use Roslovic(and drop Wheeler down to play with him) or 3. Sign Joe Thornton

Also if you think there is a bigger issue(/flaw) than 2C please do attack and dissect that as well(I want to know how you think the Jets can get better).

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think our 2nd line C is much of a flaw. Little had a down year but I suspect he'll bounce back just fine next season.

Another year of development by Ehlers, Laine and Conner will help him out as he won't have to do as much heavy lifting.

Conner Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler

You then groom Roslovic as a C next season. The guy has many of the same attributes as the Lighrnings young Pointe possesss and imo will be a good all around C if given the time to grow into it.

Perrault Roslovic Armia

It gives Roslovic a high end vet play driver to help him drive offense. It also gives him a strong defensive player and forechecker in Armia.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Roslovic can centre Laine and Ehlers next season, he's just a player who plays hard and that you can trust. But I'd also consider moving Laine up to the first line and having him centre Connor and Ehlers because Roslovic and Connor do have good chemistry, but Connor and Ehlers I believe have better chemistry than Ehlers and Laine do.

Stastny I believe walks for a better deal, although I think the Jets give Stastny a small offer. We need to keep Little in terms of the expansion draft because we could unload him there, Perreault we could trade away but for now I say keep him as well. Wheeler extension talks will be interesting, don't know what he'll command, but since we're in the cap era it might be hard. Lowry and Copp could be had under $2M. I think Petan should be traded because he's not getting a good shot here, I want him to get a fair shot. Appleton will be with the Moose next season, but I think if we do trade Perreault, we bring Appleton up to the Jets.

2019-20 for now.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Tanev

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The teams only real flaw was it lacked playoff experience and now it has that. We scored a lot last year and we will probably score even more next year. As long as Helly remains steady in net I see another 110+ point season and a long playoff run again
I really hope 110 is possible
I’d be happy with 95 and a P.O. spot.
We got spoiled very quickly

Reactions: Duke749 and Jack722

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In another thread I proposed Myers and Perreault for RNH + 2nd.

RNH gives the Jets a lot of punch at 2C, and more than compensates for losing Perreault, who plays at a position of strength. I think the Jets don't lose much at 3rd RD with Poolman in for Myers. Jets will need to move Myers and Perreault for cap reasons before 2019/20 in any case. RNH is a valuable tradeable asset after next season, if they need toove out more salary for cap reasons.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

RNH gives the Jets a lot of punch at 2C, and more than compensates for losing Perreault, who plays at a position of strength. I think the Jets don't lose much at 3rd RD with Poolman in for Myers. Jets will need to move Myers and Perreault for cap reasons before 2019/20 in any case. RNH is a valuable tradeable asset after next season, if they need toove out more salary for cap reasons.

RNH is a twig .... try to keep Statsny and if this is not the case, trade for a 1st rounder

then

your trade proposal to (gulp) Toronto for Kadri and a 2nd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Jets were playing at a 110 pt pace prior to Stastny's acquisition at the TDL and ended up the season at 114. Little's prod. rate in the last 3 seasons prior to this year was 62 pts/82 gp. There is no doubt there should be some concern with his play, but some factors like Scheifele's ascension, getting pushed down to 3rd scoring line C for the last quarter of the year, and then the absolute lack of chemistry him and Laine had which affected both players are some reasons to take into account.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
I don't think there's any real weakness to be addressed. Little should rebound as 2c, if not Roslovic could likely play there and be effective. We got spoiled having Scheifele, Stastny, Little, and Lowry down the middle. If it does become a problem, Chevy may have to make a trade for a true 2c at some point. We made it a long way in the playoffs where our young guys really struggled. Laine, Connor, Ehlers are still developing. The vets for the most part are still in their prime. This team should be just as good next year and now we have the experience of a solid playoff run. Hellebuyck will also learn from this experience and be better. We're in really good shape moving forward. Chevy just has to manage the cap well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Really? Kadri?
There is no chance the Jets do that--he fails their character test.

Yeah, I know that ...

However, he has a tendency to draw penalties out of the opposing team, something that could help this team somewhat ...

RNH will snap in game 1 playing in the rough and tumble Central ......

Reactions: Ippenator

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don't think our 2nd line C is much of a flaw. Little had a down year but I suspect he'll bounce back just fine next season.

Another year of development by Ehlers, Laine and Conner will help him out as he won't have to do as much heavy lifting.

Conner Scheifele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler

You then groom Roslovic as a C next season. The guy has many of the same attributes as the Lighrnings young Pointe possesss and imo will be a good all around C if given the time to grow into it.

Perrault Roslovic Armia

It gives Roslovic a high end vet play driver to help him drive offense. It also gives him a strong defensive player and forechecker in Armia.

No Little didn’t have a down year, Little had the beginning of the downslide on his career and it isn’t going to get any better anytime soon, delusional thinking to expect him to regain the form he had a few years back!

Anyone who objectively watches him can clearly see that he isn’t the same player he once was.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

That could definitely help out. RNH has the speed to play with Ehlers and he's never played with a scorer like Laine.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don’t think people realize how many tough minutes Lowry can actually take from that 2C position. Even Little having a similar year next year as this past one will still make us a big threat.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think people realize how many tough minutes Lowry can actually take from that 2C position. Even Little having a similar year next year as this past one will still make us a big threat.

True I think people want to be Stastny time good rather then before where ELL struggled for long stretches. I'd imagine Wheeler will want to play with Scheif and vice versa.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No Little didn’t have a down year, Little had the beginning of the downslide on his career and it isn’t going to get any better anytime soon, delusional thinking to expect him to regain the form he had a few years back!

Anyone who objectively watches him can clearly see that he isn’t the same player he once was.

Try harder Sip! At this rate Little is gonna have a career year! :nod: ;)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Little became a hugely underrated 1C for the bulk of his prime, so it's not farfetched to believe that Roslovic can eventually get there. Little also started life in the NHL as a winger, and had his best scoring year with Kovalchuk. I don't think it's much of a hole if Perreault rides shotgun on the 2nd line with him. Fefe and Lowry can get the heavy matchups.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
2018-19: How do we trade all these players we don't like?

2019-20: How do we address the issue of depth at all positions?

2020-21: Do we ever learn anything?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
What should happen with the 2nd Line/ Top 6 Center?

I mean it is our biggest flaw on paper for most of the season(prior to Stastny and as we are likely parting with him it might be a liability again)....

Here’s pretty much all the common options(or so I think atleast)...

- Little

- Roslovic

- Lowry

- Stastny(/resigning)

- Copp

- Committee of players chip in

- Trade

- Free Agency

- Wheeler

- Petan

- Appleton

Please explain who you think should be the 2C and also please explain who you think will be the 2C...
I never considered our second line centre a flaw. For years, hockey experts claimed that Little was not given enough credit as a first line centre. He is just fine as a second line centre, and given the right wingers could be an amazing third line centre.

Our main issue is back-up goaltender.

Reactions: FFHockey and Huffer

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I never considered our second line centre a flaw. For years, hockey experts claimed that Little was not given enough credit as a first line centre. He is just fine as a second line centre, and given the right wingers could be an amazing third line centre.

Our main issue is back-up goaltender.
I think the main issue is that Little didn't work well with Ehlers and Laine, and those are our 2nd line wingers as long as Maurice keeps Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor together.

I'd look to shake things up a bit by breaking up Scheifele and Wheeler, to spread out scoring and maybe get better defensive balance in the top-6.

Another option...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine (lots of offense, and Connor can go get pucks)
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler (good two-way line - Ehlers featured as the scorer)
Perreault-Roslovic-Armia (Perreault and Armia chewed up bottom-6 competition with Hendricks at C... Roslovic is a few steps up)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (the hard match-ups line)

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think the main issue is that Little didn't work well with Ehlers and Laine, and those are our 2nd line wingers as long as Maurice keeps Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor together.

I'd look to shake things up a bit by breaking up Scheifele and Wheeler, to spread out scoring and maybe get better defensive balance in the top-6.

Another option...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine (lots of offense, and Connor can go get pucks)
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler (good two-way line - Ehlers featured as the scorer)
Perreault-Roslovic-Armia (Perreault and Armia chewed up bottom-6 competition with Hendricks at C... Roslovic is a few steps up)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (the hard match-ups line)
I predict that Statsny will stay with the Jets, and Little will be the third line centre. That would give Winnipeg one of the very best centre position strengths in the league.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
2018-19: How do we trade all these players we don't like?

2019-20: How do we address the issue of depth at all positions?

2020-21: Do we ever learn anything?

Yeah why do we want to trade. We still have this coming season to keep all.

We now have the depth that most team would want. And we want to trade players already.

Jets need experience. We hope they learn their lesson and how hard it is to win the cup.

Bring back the same team except
Enstrom out Niku In

I dont want to experience Buff and the ahl gang again when we have 2 injuries to our starting defense.

Lets not trade (for now) players for draft pick.

Jets are gunning to win the cup next year not reload or restock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad