How should the Jets manage their biggest flaw for next season?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
IMO 2C is an issue, Little is getting older and perhaps lost a bit of his step and never has been a creative offensive player. Ideally IMO we have as our centres:

Mark
TBA
Little
Lowry

The big question is who fills the 2C and how much does it cost us to get him and his cap space.

Reactions: Ares

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Is the left side D man a flaw?
Morrissey awesome
Kulikov?
Morrow meh

Niku?

It would be nice if Niku makes the team because I only see 2 legitimate starters where we have at least 4 on the right side. I don't think Enstrom, Morrow or Chiarot are starting 3LHD unless I am wrong about Enstrom. He'd be fine as a 4LHD but we have Morrow and Chiarot for that.

JMO -Trouba
De -Haan Buff
Kuli -Myers/Poolman ... would be nice.

Otherwise, the only shortage I see is if Comrie does't pan out, we don't have a legit backup for 2019-2020.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Okay, let's go crazy, it's the offseason.

Trade Myers and Perreault now.

Sign Tavares for 10.5 x 7. He gets his very best chance to win a cup in his career next season.

Don't re-sign Wheeler after next season to keep cap room for Tavares. Make other adjustments as necessary for 2019 and beyond.

Next season you roll...

Ehlers-Tavares-Laine
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Niku-Poolman

Core for the near future...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Tavares-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-xxx

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Xxx-Poolman

So let’s get rid of our captain who recently just had 91 points which happens to be more than the sought out free agent’s career high in Points.... Yeah that makes sense...

Reactions: Shaibu

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Even if we trade Myers and Perreault, and don't resign Enstrom, and Stastny, is there any way to fit Tavares in our lineup? I'm thinking this just won't fit the cap
Chevy can fit him in but only sign him to a 3 year deal with an AAV of 9m.

1st year...6m signing bonus and 6m salary.
2nd year...3m signing bonus and 3m salary.
3rd year...4m signing bonus and 5m salary.

Connor Tavares Wheeler 16.6m
Vaseline Scheif Laine 10.5m
Ehlers Little Roslovic 12.3
Copp Lowry Armia 5.25m
Tanev Petan 1.5m

JMo Trouba 10m
De Haan Buff 11.7m
Kuli Poolman 5.1m
Chiarot 1.5m

Helle Comrie 5.5m

If you don't see a name, they have been traded.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
And LHD
Still not as deep there as we could be

I was hoping someone would eventually figure out how much more important LHD depth is than center. My lord, we're thicker than molasses down the middle. Center is not the issue. Backup goalie isn't the issue. #3 LHD should not come down to a lesser-of-two-weevils comparison between Chairot and Morrow.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Even if we trade Myers and Perreault, and don't resign Enstrom, and Stastny, is there any way to fit Tavares in our lineup? I'm thinking this just won't fit the cap
We can fit Tavares next season. The following season will be tough, even if the Jets don't re-sign Wheeler, but not impossible.

Dreaming in Technicolor, but with an $85 million cap.... (with Tavares, and without Wheeler, from 2019 and beyond).

Jets cap 2019 Tavares.png

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I was hoping someone would eventually figure out how much more important LHD depth is than center. My lord, we're thicker than molasses down the middle. Center is not the issue. Backup goalie isn't the issue. #3 LHD should not come down to a lesser-of-two-weevils comparison between Chairot and Morrow.

Chiarot had 14pts, a +15(plus/minus) in 57 games with no Powerplay time, 2.3 oiGA/60, he looked really good defensively all season and is very strong physically and isn’t afraid to fight... I think Chiarot was probably one of the best Bottom pairing defensemen in the league this season(Kulikov is pretty good too, I don’t know if he is better after the year Chiarot has).... Chiarot is extremely underrated...

If Niku is ready to play in the NHL we should be fine.

Reactions: Ippenator

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vegas features Engelland on 3rd pair. Caps have Kempny. Those guys aren't that hard to find.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So let’s get rid of our captain who recently just had 91 points which happens to be more than the sought out free agent’s career high in Points.... Yeah that makes sense...
Next season, you could have both of them. They could both hoist their first Stanley Cup together in 2019.

I'd be willing to wager that Tavares scores more points with the Jets wingers and PP than Wheeler (and I love Wheeler).

The issue is beyond 2019. Do you sign Wheeler to a very expensive long-term deal starting at age 33 or Tavares as a 29-year old #1C that doesn't rely as much on his physical attributes as Wheeler?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Why stop at Tavares how good would Laine be with Crosby?
It’s not entirely unrealistic, if Tavares would be offered from us I’m sure he’d pick us over a majority of teams in the league(I mean who wouldn’t we have the most talented team in the league that are a couple pieces off from being the best in the league), we might even be able to afford him this season as well(pending trades) though the issue would be the future(the Cap would likely be a pain in the cheeks.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016

Copp Lowry Armia 5.25m
Tanev Petan 1.5m

JMo Trouba 10m
De Haan Buff 11.7m
Kuli Poolman 5.1m
Chiarot 1.5m

Helle Comrie 5.5m

Lol. Dreaming.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think signing JT and letting Wheeler walkfor free is a tad unrealistic even in a fictional thread on a hockey forum by a bunch of hockey nerds & armchair GM’s.

Just saying.....

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think signing JT and letting Wheeler walkfor free is a tad unrealistic even in a fictional thread on a hockey forum by a bunch of hockey nerds & armchair GM’s.

Just saying.....

Agreed, but Chevy’s job is to be a nerdy GM and he’s a damn good one at that. It’s very unrealistic looking at it long term wise but if someone could pull it off it’s hometown deal Chevy(meaning he might be able to get enough spare change off of Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck to make t s possibility)...

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think some people have expectations from Roslovic that his resume doesn't support.

LittleRoslovic
LeagueGamesPointsLeagueGamesPoints
Draft YearOHL64109USHL2538
D+1OHL57107NCAA3626
D+2NHL4816AHL6548
D+3NHL7951NHL3114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That is a somewhat superficial comparison of the 2 but I think it is huge that in D+3 Little scored 31 goals in the NHL while Roslovic played 31 games in the NHL.

In each of those years Roslovic was about 9 mos. younger than Little. That matters. I'm not knocking Roslovic but I think we need to back off a bit on the expectations. I'll be happy if he can be a 3C next year and a 2C in another year or two. I'll also be happy if he can become a good 3RW.

If Roslovic had been drafted by the bare-cupboard Thrashers he might have played in the NHL in D+2. As it is, his first year in the NHL has some similarity to Little's first year (with better PPG for Ros), even if it came a year later. That's somewhat encouraging even if I don't see prime Ros as an equal-value replacement for prime Little.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I like roslo at wing. I think last year's lineup will be this year's lineup for the most part....

Don't think roslo is consistent enough to be a 2C in the nhl yet.

Reactions: Ippenator

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Exactly and....
Kulikov’s health is a red flag and I don’t want Enstrom back because he seldom plays a full slate.
LHD is Morrissey right now period

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly and....
Kulikov’s health is a red flag and I don’t want Enstrom back because he seldom plays a full slate.
LHD is Morrissey right now period
Agreed. It has seemed a bit odd that everyone has focused on Little, who by every metric is a solid #2 C, with a very solid #3/4 in Lowry in supporting roles behind a top 10 in the league#1 C in Scheifele. LHD is being held together with tape now that it looks like Toby will retire. Morrissey, Kulikov, Chiarot, Morrow leaves a lot to be desired after the 23 y/o kid at the top.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Copp Lowry Armia 5.25m

Tanev Petan 1.5m

JMo Trouba 10m
De Haan Buff 11.7m
Kuli Poolman 5.1m
Chiarot 1.5m

Helle Comrie 5.5m

One can dream..... or just make it f*** happen! :D

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think some people have expectations from Roslovic that his resume doesn't support.

LittleRoslovic
LeagueGamesPointsLeagueGamesPoints
Draft YearOHL64109USHL2538
D+1OHL57107NCAA3626
D+2NHL4816AHL6548
D+3NHL7951NHL3114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That is a somewhat superficial comparison of the 2 but I think it is huge that in D+3 Little scored 31 goals in the NHL while Roslovic played 31 games in the NHL.

In each of those years Roslovic was about 9 mos. younger than Little. That matters. I'm not knocking Roslovic but I think we need to back off a bit on the expectations. I'll be happy if he can be a 3C next year and a 2C in another year or two. I'll also be happy if he can become a good 3RW.

To be fair, Roslovic was above a PPG in the AHL, and lead the Jets in 5v5 scoring /60 this year. He also didn't have the benefit of playing alongside Ilya Kovalchuk in his 2nd NHL season.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
And LHD
Still not as deep there as we could be
Certainly a big question mark around Kulikov. We really had very little information about his injury. And he chose the 'quick return' route. Really hard to know if we will be durable next season. Could be a big and relatively expensive gap if he has injury trouble again next year. Hope he is fully recovered because he was solid for us - good signing by Chevy.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
IMHO, our biggest flaw this year, was our LHD. Morrissey was great, but after him, there was a big drop off. Kulikov was OK, but became injured and missed the playoffs. Enstrom isn't the player he was 5 years ago. Chiarot and Morrow were below average. Teams exploited this, and tried to rush through the left side often. I hope Niku improves to the next level, and eventually becomes a top 4 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->