How should the Jets manage their biggest flaw for next season?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hard to point to a significant roster flaw as the biggest flaw. We had the Stanley Cup winning quality roster this year. Biggest flaw - coaching. Let's address it before we waste these competitive years away. I know it won't happen because we re-upped Maurice early for no reason. But that's our biggest weakness as evidenced by utilization decisions and turtle like speed if trying to adjust/adapt at all. Don't ask me to list them all here - they have all been discussed in these boards at length. Some things are taking care of themselves like Toby leaving. Other contracts like Matthias expiring and Grampa not likely getting medical clearance (just kidding) clearing out space for signings. I don't think we know our biggest flaw until we see which contracts get done and which ones do not. Trouba, Helle and Morrissey would be the biggest gaps if deals don't get done.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hard to point to a significant roster flaw as the biggest flaw. We had the Stanley Cup winning quality roster this year. Biggest flaw - coaching. Let's address it before we waste these competitive years away. I know it won't happen because we re-upped Maurice early for no reason. But that's our biggest weakness as evidenced by utilization decisions and turtle like speed if trying to adjust/adapt at all. Don't ask me to list them all here - they have all been discussed in these boards at length. Some things are taking care of themselves like Toby leaving. Other contracts like Matthias expiring and Grampa not likely getting medical clearance (just kidding) clearing out space for signings. I don't think we know our biggest flaw until we see which contracts get done and which ones do not. Trouba, Helle and Morrissey would be the biggest gaps if deals don't get done.

Coaching isn't our biggest weakness it's just an easy thing to second guess with hindsight. A lot of our players got a lot better as the year went and Maurice shares in the credit for it. I thought we were pretty well coached most of the year.

Gallant definitely had his players playing their system better than us. But you can say that about every other team in the league this year too. There was some damn good teams with rosters as good as ours that didn't make it as far as we did.

We beat Nashville because our goalie was better than theirs. We lost to Vegas because their's was better than ours. Not much more complicated than that for me.

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Going to have to buy-out Mason for sure. Or trade if possible....

Highly doubt either of those things happen.

We can't afford the buyout cost still on the books the year after next. Just about impossible.

Mason is as close to untradeable right now as any contract in the league. Probably can't trade him even with max retention. If we did find a taker at that we are only a very small amount ahead after we pay for a replacement.

Makes more sense to hope he can be a good backup next year. IMO

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In another thread I proposed Myers and Perreault for RNH + 2nd.

RNH gives the Jets a lot of punch at 2C, and more than compensates for losing Perreault, who plays at a position of strength. I think the Jets don't lose much at 3rd RD with Poolman in for Myers. Jets will need to move Myers and Perreault for cap reasons before 2019/20 in any case. RNH is a valuable tradeable asset after next season, if they need toove out more salary for cap reasons.

Only works for 1 season. After next year, accommodating RNH's cap hit is = to keeping Stastny. He would bring a decent return after the year though and it sure beats giving up our first at the TD again.

Not to mention that a lot of things could change over the year. Who knows, we might decide to do what we need to keep him.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Lol biggest flaw, to funny!

Funny to think that we would never have developed this amazing team without that biggest flaw.

Or you must believe that this magical Stanley Cup winning roster just magically fell out of the sky, fully developed and ready to go.

The reason it wont happen, sorry, is because Chevy, Chipman, True North, the people that understand this game on such a much deeper level than you will ever get to, they understand that he is a great coach, and that this team did not magically fall from the skies, like you seem to believe, rather they watched day in and day out, Maurice coach and develop them in to what they are today.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
RNH is a twig .... try to keep Statsny and if this is not the case, trade for a 1st rounder

then

your trade proposal to (gulp) Toronto for Kadri and a 2nd

RNH is a twig, RNH is soft, blah, blah, blah. People keep saying this but there isn't much behind it. He has scored at a .685 ppg pace on his career - playing for the Oilers and starting as an 18 YO rookie. Yes, he loses some games to injury. Who doesn't?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Highly doubt either of those things happen.

We can't afford the buyout cost still on the books the year after next. Just about impossible.

Mason is as close to untradeable right now as any contract in the league. Probably can't trade him even with max retention. If we did find a taker at that we are only a very small amount ahead after we pay for a replacement.

Makes more sense to hope he can be a good backup next year. IMO

If he can play well in the role it may open up trade opportunities throughout the year. There is always a team or two that finds themselves in desperate need of a goalie.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he can play well in the role it may open up trade opportunities throughout the year. There is always a team or two that finds themselves in desperate need of a goalie.

Agree, that is a possibility. The cost goes down as time passes and then retention might even make sense - but we would still need a backup. I hope Helle has a lighter workload next year so he can last through the playoffs.

A healthy Mason playing well for about 25-30 games would help a lot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True I think people want to be Stastny time good rather then before where ELL struggled for long stretches. I'd imagine Wheeler will want to play with Scheif and vice versa.

Yes - but swapping Connor and Ehlers might accomplish the same thing, or even more. I think it was more Ehlers' creative style that handcuffed Little than it was Laine. Just a guess. Chemistry is hard to predict.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't consider Mason to be a flaw right now because I don't think that we got a good read on him. After the first two games of the year where the whole team was trash - (not sure how we could have been so utterly crap coming out of training camp - but that would be a discussion for a thread on coaching) - he had such injury trouble it was hard to gauge him. He certainly had some quality starts for us. I agree that if we can get 25+ games out of him, it can only help Helle later in the season. With a healthy Mason, goaltending could be a solid strength next year, even if expensive.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Little became a hugely underrated 1C for the bulk of his prime, so it's not farfetched to believe that Roslovic can eventually get there. Little also started life in the NHL as a winger, and had his best scoring year with Kovalchuk. I don't think it's much of a hole if Perreault rides shotgun on the 2nd line with him. Fefe and Lowry can get the heavy matchups.

I think some people have expectations from Roslovic that his resume doesn't support.

Little Roslovic
LeagueGamesPointsLeagueGamesPoints
Draft YearOHL64109USHL2538
D+1OHL57107NCAA3626
D+2NHL4816AHL6548
D+3NHL7951NHL3114
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That is a somewhat superficial comparison of the 2 but I think it is huge that in D+3 Little scored 31 goals in the NHL while Roslovic played 31 games in the NHL.

In each of those years Roslovic was about 9 mos. younger than Little. That matters. I'm not knocking Roslovic but I think we need to back off a bit on the expectations. I'll be happy if he can be a 3C next year and a 2C in another year or two. I'll also be happy if he can become a good 3RW.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Yes - but swapping Connor and Ehlers might accomplish the same thing, or even more. I think it was more Ehlers' creative style that handcuffed Little than it was Laine. Just a guess. Chemistry is hard to predict.

No it was definitely Little, he had 0.6 less PP/60 at ES than Laine and 1.1 less than Ehlers as well..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele number 2. Sign Tavares as our number 1. This isn't rocket science.
Tavares/Scheifele 1-2 up the middle would be a wonderful thing to see. I'm a little curious how you see the numbers working? Maybe he gives NYI or the Leafs a bit of a hometown discount but for the Jets to out bid all others on the open market you are likely looking at $11-12 cap hit. Or did I miss a :sarcasm: somewhere in the discussion.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No it was definitely Little, he had 0.6 less PP/60 at ES than Laine and 1.1 less than Ehlers as well..
Yet oddly Little had his most productive stretch of the season with Ehlers still on his wing.

Reactions: surixon

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
RNH is a twig, RNH is soft, blah, blah, blah. People keep saying this but there isn't much behind it. He has scored at a .685 ppg pace on his career - playing for the Oilers and starting as an 18 YO rookie. Yes, he loses some games to injury. Who doesn't?

He’s not a fit, just saying

Playoffs are over, take a shave

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
He’s not a fit, just saying

Playoffs are over, take a shave

Not that I’m advocating for RNH(I don’t think he’s be the best option) but Scheifele is a rare player, not a lot of Centers have the size, skill, speed and strength he has.... There’s probably only 3 Centers in the league with his package, we can’t be unrealistic and expect to find a cheap Center who has size and skill... If your really looking for size/strength than you might as well just throw Lowry in there... If we are looking for a 2C the best option would likely be Thornton(we might get a discount as well with the roster we have) with his size/ skill and he would be a hell of a player for having around the young guys.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Not that I’m advocating for RNH(I don’t think he’s be the best option) but Scheifele is a rare player, not a lot of Centers have the size, skill, speed and strength he has.... There’s probably only 3 Centers in the league with his package, we can’t be unrealistic and expect to find a cheap Center who has size and skill... If your really looking for size/strength than you might as well just throw Lowry in there... If we are looking for a 2C the best option would likely be Thornton(we might get a discount as well with the roster we have) with his size/ skill and he would be a hell of a player for having around the young guys.

Jumbo joe would be a good fit but he’s likes the west coast

Chevy should somehow try to keep stastny

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Jumbo joe would be a good fit but he’s likes the west coast

Chevy should somehow try to keep stastny

I agree but I think at this point in time there is probably a higher possibility of finding a FA Center than re-signing Stastny(however much of like to keep him, I just don’t think we can afford him for a long term deal he will want).

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I keep seeing get rid of Mason posts. The guy has won his last 3 starts with a shut out plus he played one period in the playoffs ZERO goals against. Want do you guys want for a backup ... Carey Price for $4 million? Yes he had a bad start and injuries just like the Jets. Sometimes you guys are to quick to pass judgement.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay, let's go crazy, it's the offseason.

Trade Myers and Perreault now.

Sign Tavares for 10.5 x 7. He gets his very best chance to win a cup in his career next season.

Don't re-sign Wheeler after next season to keep cap room for Tavares. Make other adjustments as necessary for 2019 and beyond.

Next season you roll...

Ehlers-Tavares-Laine
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Niku-Poolman

Core for the near future...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Tavares-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-xxx

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Xxx-Poolman

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Okay, let's go crazy, it's the offseason.

Trade Myers and Perreault now.

Sign Tavares for 10.5 x 7. He gets his very best chance to win a cup in his career next season.

Don't re-sign Wheeler after next season to keep cap room for Tavares. Make other adjustments as necessary for 2019 and beyond.

Next season you roll...

Ehlers-Tavares-Laine
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Niku-Poolman

Core for the near future...

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Tavares-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-xxx

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Xxx-Poolman
Your hired !! :laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Even if we trade Myers and Perreault, and don't resign Enstrom, and Stastny, is there any way to fit Tavares in our lineup? I'm thinking this just won't fit the cap

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I never considered our second line centre a flaw. For years, hockey experts claimed that Little was not given enough credit as a first line centre. He is just fine as a second line centre, and given the right wingers could be an amazing third line centre.

Our main issue is back-up goaltender.
And LHD
Still not as deep there as we could be

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Is the left side D man a flaw?
Morrissey
Kulikov
Morrow
Chiarot
Enstrom
Niku

It would be nice if Niku makes the team because I only see 2 legitimate starters where we have at least 4 on the right side. I don't think Enstrom, Morrow or Chiarot are starting 3LHD unless I am wrong about Enstrom. He'd be fine as a 4LHD but we have Morrow and Chiarot for that.

JMO -Trouba
De -Haan Buff
Kuli -Myers/Poolman ... would be nice.

Otherwise, the only shortage I see is if Comrie does't pan out, we don't have a legit backup for 2019-2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->