How should the Jets manage their biggest flaw for next season?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ah fun thread to get us through off season

Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler
Connor Tavares Laine
Perrault Stastny Roslovic
Copp Lowry Little
Tanev Petan Armia
:)

How much cap hit ?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Still think the Jets had 2 great years to win the cup. This and next. After that Laine and the inevitable bad contract for Wheeler will kick in then filling out the roster will be really hard.
This is an interesting thought, but I think it doesn't take into account 2 things. First our young core has no where near developed into the players they will be in their primes. Only Scheifele could be said to have truly entered his prime and he still likely has another level he can reach. Morrissey and Trouba still have room to grow, and especially Morrissey might have a Norris caliber career in front of him. And for our young wingers all have miles to go to reach their primes. A 25 y/o Laine will be a thing of beauty. Helly to will likely find another level with a couple more years under his belt.

The 2nd being, how to make contracts work so as to keep hold of our current vets while the young core develops, and then seamlessly move on from them as needed to meet contract obligations. In my mind there is 2 parts to this. One is to bridge as necessary, and the other is to severely limit NMC's and have the willingness to move a player when they still have enough value that you don't have to pay someone to take them. We will all see how Chevy navigates this over the next few years.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Copp and Lowry basically have to play together. They both become lesser players without each other and better players with each other. As long as those two are in the lineup together they should be lining up together. Tanev is a lesser player away from Lowry as well. You optimize all of them when they play together.

Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

That's my healthy lineup for the start of the season. We can move all the wingers in the top 9 all over the place doesn't really matter. But Copp - Lowry - Tanev need to be together.
You make a good point Dax. I also like the idea of splitting up Scheifele and Wheeler. If Laine is to take the next step towards stardom I think he needs to start playing with the team's top center. Problem is Scheif really likes playing with Wheeler. At least partly this has to be due to the fact Wheeler does so much of the heavy board and corner work which allows Scheif to play more of a sniper role. If Laine can pick up his speed a bit, and start taking some of this on like Connor does we may see a very special line.

Reactions: ecolad

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
This is an interesting thought, but I think it doesn't take into account 2 things. First our young core has no where near developed into the players they will be in their primes. Only Scheifele could be said to have truly entered his prime and he still likely has another level he can reach. Morrissey and Trouba still have room to grow, and especially Morrissey might have a Norris caliber career in front of him. And for our young wingers all have miles to go to reach their primes. A 25 y/o Laine will be a thing of beauty. Helly to will likely find another level with a couple more years under his belt.

The 2nd being, how to make contracts work so as to keep hold of our current vets while the young core develops, and then seamlessly move on from them as needed to meet contract obligations. In my mind there is 2 parts to this. One is to bridge as necessary, and the other is to severely limit NMC's and have the willingness to move a player when they still have enough value that you don't have to pay someone to take them. We will all see how Chevy navigates this over the next few years.
Great points. Many potentially great teams have handcuffed themselves by giving good loyal vets overvalued contracts. Just hope Chevy can resist now that Pavs Stu Enstrom Perrault and Little have been done.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great points. Many potentially great teams have handcuffed themselves by giving good loyal vets overvalued contracts. Just hope Chevy can resist now that Pavs Stu Enstrom Perrault and Little have been done.
Pavs and Stu contracts don't really matter since we didn't have a young core of stars needing to get paid. And Toby is now off the books. MP's and Little's contracts can be moved at some point if needed. MP's at anytime and I'd be surprised if he played out the full contract in a Jets uniform. For now Little at $5.291 is not unreasonable for a #2 C, which his underlying stats suggest he is. He is not likely going to be able to maintain that long term, though in the short term I think you see a bounce back in the boxscore stats. But will Chevy be willing to move him in a couple years when his NMC ends is the big question.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
That would be a very interesting option indeed. Doubt that Myers & Perrault would be enough to make it happen, but with Edmonton one never knows.

Heck I wouldn’t be shocked if Chaireli gave us Draisaitl straight up for Myers. Given his past...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad