How much will having arguably the worst 1C in the Western Conference hurt the Predators?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
What? Johansen doesn’t come close to Schiefele, Kopitar, or Getzlaf.

I'll give you Kopitar. But Schiefele hasn't proven anything other than he has talent, just hasn't used it to win in the playoffs yet.

But Getzlaf? Johansen rag-dolled him in the playoffs last year. Then when Johansen got hurt, "top line center" Colton Sissons put a hattrick on him.

And he handled MacKinnon just fine last night.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Mack is quite a bit faster than Joey. Not sure that's a good matchup in open ice. Bonino did a great job on Mackinnon though.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'll give you Kopitar. But Schiefele hasn't proven anything other than he has talent, just hasn't used it to win in the playoffs yet.

But Getzlaf? Johansen rag-dolled him in the playoffs last year. Then when Johansen got hurt, "top line center" Colton Sissons put a hattrick on him.

And he handled MacKinnon just fine last night.
The same Getzlaf who is a known playoff beast and scored 61 points in 56 games? The same Getzlaf who scored 19 points in 17 playoff games while Johansen got 13 in 14? Yeah, Getzlaf has him beat by miles.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
So one head to head series where Johansen played better all of a sudden makes him better than a HOF center still in his prime? Good to know.

Well, yeah.

I mean, we're not talking about over the course of an HOF career. Or even a season.

We're talking about a 7 game playoff series. Crazy, I know, but sometimes, "lesser" players play better than others over small sample sizes.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Well, yeah.

I mean, we're not talking about over the course of an HOF career. Or even a season.

We're talking about a 7 game playoff series. Crazy, I know, but sometimes, "lesser" players play better than others over small sample sizes.
Except we aren’t. That’s not what this thread is about.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's also not about Getzlaf being a better C than Johansen, either. :laugh:

It's a dumb thread trying to make a case that the Preds don't have the center depth to compete for the Cup, when they went to the Cup Final last year with less...
Actually it is. And no, if you bothered to read the title and OP, you’d realize the thread has nothing to do with center depth. It’s about high end talent.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Actually it is. And no, if you bothered to read the title and OP, you’d realize the thread has nothing to do with center depth. It’s about high end talent.

I was thinking about it today, and I realized every playoff team in the Western Conference has a better center than anyone on Nashville. I would take all of Karlsson (this year at least), Pavelski, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Staal, MacKinnon, and Schiefele over Johansen. Will this be a problem for the Predators?

I guess to some degee. To me, it's more trying to make the argument that because the Preds don't have a "true 1C" like the other WC teams, that it could hurt them. When they went to the Cup Final last year with less than what they have now in Johansen/Turris. The depth argument is what comes in to eclipse the "true 1C" argument. I read the OP and thread title, as I've been posting in this thread from basically the beginning. And my argument has always been that their C depth more than makes up for the lack of an elite 1C.

Sorry to point out that your thread was a dumb thread. No offense intended. Just not a thread that makes any sense to me because they have better Cs than last year, when they were in the Cup Final, and it's being questioned if it will hurt the team that they don't have "as good a 1C" as the other WC teams.

Did it hurt them last year? Nah. Will it hurt them this year? Nah. Simple answer to a simple question. Their 1C doesn't have to be better than those guys you listed in the OP. He just has to be good enough to cancel them out for his team, and the depth will beat the rest of the matchups.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Johansen was fine in that role last playoff, and he needs to be that guy again this year to put the preds over the top.

He's an enigma, but he's capable.

Reactions: cgf and dood

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Top scores through two games.

Austin Watson-... 2G/1A...+3
Ryan Johansen-.. 1G/2A...+2
Colton Sissons-... 1G/2A...+1

Nathan MacKinnon-..1G/2A...-2

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Hard to believe that Johansen is a problem on Nashville. If that is the argument for them not going deep into the playoffs again this year or winning it all, than it is pretty sad. Nashville is super deep on D, great goaltending and has centre depth that ranks right up with most top teams and are almost never out of a game. Good luck with the argument though.

Reactions: LCPreds

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
all i get out of the end of this thread is context matters. 1 team is shooting on Bernier and the other Rinne, 1 team has 4 D better then the other teams best. there is more to it then Joet has the same points and higher +/- therefor he is atleast equal. Nashville is just so balanced and nothing more needs to be said about the defense, its crazy good

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Malkin Crosby Kopitar Getzlaf etc etc. Colorado has one of the worst #1s

Lmao, one of the worst? Are you serious?

The only guys I would consider there would be Malkin/Crosby/Kopitar and that's only based off their past playoff experience. MacK was better than all of them in the regular season and has been great so far in the playoffs.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They did alright last season coming in as the last wild card and unarguably showed that they can score by committee to mitigate Johanson's (sp?) lack of scoring and become the class of the league. They are 7th in scoring, with probably the best d in the league and a remarkable season from Rinne.

I think this will be their strength again this season. RyJo might not be some high end #1C... but between him and Turris as the 1/2 and Bonino, Fisher and Jarnkrok as the 3/4 (not to mention their other options who play on the wing but are quality centers), and they'll be fine. They have some great winger depth with FF, Arvidsson, Smith, Fiala, Hartman and others that not having great centers shouldn't be their downfall. Especially with their blueline.

No guarantee's of course, but I don't think it will be a big issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad