How many rookies make the Leafs next year?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander, Leivo and Percy almost for sure. Percy had good stints in the NHL and looked perfectly fine here. He graduates, along with Nylander and Leivo. Connor Brown's injury messed up his chances to make the team next season, otherwise he would be on the team next season too. I think we'll see Marner up with the club too. So...

Leivo, Nylander, Percy and Marner.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Idk about you guys but Id like to see Jimmy Vesey start with the Marlies

Drouin with the Leafs

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
To start the season
Komarov - Kadri - Parenteau
JVR - Nylander - Winnik
Leivo - Bozak - Marner
Winnik - Holland - Froese

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Percy - Zaitsev

To end the season
Komarov - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Soshnikov
Leipsic - Bozak - Parenteau
Holland - Froese - Leivo

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Percy

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Locks: Nylander, Leivo, Percy
Likely: Brown, Soshnikov, Marner, Kapanen, Johnson, Loov
Outside shot: Timashov, Valiev, Bailey, Gauthier, Leipsic

Not sure why everyone thinks Percy is a lock to make the team. He may not even be in the organization next year.

Nylander is the only true lock to make the team unless they draft top 4 then it could be extended to the 2016 first rounder as well. Marner is far from a lock although he has a good chance if he gains some strength.

Any two or three of Shoshnikov, Brown, Johnson, Timashov, Kapanen, Zaitsev or Valiev will make the team with a strong camp.

Sparks will likely be the backup goalie.

Last edited:

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
For sure I think nylander and percy and leivo have to be up here.

Brown, leipsic, sosh could get looks, I hope they get call ups. But they could very well make the team as well

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Soshnikov and Leipsic should be on the leafs next year, they both look too talented for the AHL already. I can't see Gauthier being anywhere near the leafs next year though, he is barely cracking the marlies line up now and was slow as molasses the one game I saw him play.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
i cant make a proper judgement until after draft and ufa day so basically until right b4 our first exhibition game..it dpends who we trade what we get..there maybe other NHLers or more likely high end prospects to think about...to me the only lock is nylander

high chance

marner
brown
percy
tima

reason marner isnt a lock for me is dependant on whether leafs feel its better to get him playing in the bigs to develope OR he goes to marlies like nylander this yr and if he does what nylander has done he is first call up

percy depends again on trades or roster spots available same with brown or tima

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
i should add i forgot leipsic hes our new darcy tucker

i think matthias has earned another contract its not his fault the line he has been on cant do anything..he is fast chases in corners with no support and has a nice shot

but again ill save my judgement after ufa day way too many things can happen

lastly i dunno bout leivo babs has sat him of late and he looked better in nhl last yr however i do think its due to lack of talent on big club this yr

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
1- Nylander
2- Marner
3- If we win the lottery Matthews/Laine/Pulj/Chychrun

DH - Timashov, Sosh

Any other that doesn't make it will be traded (Percy) or sent to the minors

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am interested to see what is going to happen after TDL. If guys like Grabber and other UFAs can't be traded, would Babs still play them with good minutes or would he uses Leivo and others and see what they got in them.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr stamkos nylander
komorov kadri marner
leivo bozak puljujarvi
winnik froese lupul
holland

gardiner phaneuf
rielly zaitsev
hunwick percy
harrington

reimer
sparks

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Marner is not strong enough to make the NHL next year.He will be back in London.

no way..he will be with marlies if not with leafs..he wont benefit in OHL hes already too good there we need him to work his way up..so if brass feels he cant do NHL or rather one more yr not with big boys itll be marlies..this will also give him time to build chemistry with possible future linemates

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
no way..he will be with marlies if not with leafs..he wont benefit in OHL hes already too good there we need him to work his way up..so if brass feels he cant do NHL or rather one more yr not with big boys itll be marlies..this will also give him time to build chemistry with possible future linemates

He was drafted out of the OHL(CHL).Rules state he has to play in the NHL or the OHL until he is over 19.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He was drafted out of the OHL(CHL).Rules state he has to play in the NHL or the OHL until he is over 19.

then he is a lock unless he bombs camp..hes too good in OHL already to benefit from an extra season...the only positive would be an extra yr to get stronger but a hard working off season could do that its up to him

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Next year

My opinion, Harrington and Percy are not NHLers so the Leafs are likely have any current Marlies with the Leafs next year. Won't might having Brennan as a 7th Dman just to work the power play.

Leivo, Soskinov, Nylander and Hyman make the Leafs next year.

Marner plays with the Leafs (not AHL eligible). Might only play 40 games with Leafs, but might be eligible for some junior tourneys. Could play in AHL playoffs in 2017. The thinking is instead of playing with London and have limited practice time, he play some with the Leafs and practice with the Leafs and/or Marlies and get on a better fitness program in Toronto instead of London.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
My opinion, Harrington and Percy are not NHLers so the Leafs are likely have any current Marlies with the Leafs next year. Won't might having Brennan as a 7th Dman just to work the power play.

Leivo, Soskinov, Nylander and Hyman make the Leafs next year.

Marner plays with the Leafs (not AHL eligible). Might only play 40 games with Leafs, but might be eligible for some junior tourneys. Could play in AHL playoffs in 2017. The thinking is instead of playing with London and have limited practice time, he play some with the Leafs and practice with the Leafs and/or Marlies and get on a better fitness program in Toronto instead of London.

Boone Jenner was available when the Leafs picked Percy. :rant:
That still bothers me today.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
99.9 of your list will never make the Leafs club

ahl, elsewhere or traded :popcorn:

Math ain't your strong suit is it?

By that logic we'll only have like half of one of Marner and Nylander.....

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Nylander is already in the starting lineup for next year. It's guaranteed.

Marner will make the team as well. He's too good for the OHL and can't play in the AHL. He's not going to Europe, give it a rest.

Brown will probably need time to recover from his injury.

Zaitsev will be on the team.

I also think Soshnikov, Leivo and Percy have realistic chances to make the team.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Nylander is already in the starting lineup for next year. It's guaranteed.

Marner will make the team as well. He's too good for the OHL and can't play in the AHL. He's not going to Europe, give it a rest.

Brown will probably need time to recover from his injury.

Zaitsev will be on the team.

I also think Soshnikov, Leivo and Percy have realistic chances to make the team.

so again ill say nylander is a lock as long as he stays healthy..my bad not knowing marner is not eligible for ahl therefore he makes the team UNLESS he is terrible in camp and doesnt show babcock that hes busted his butt in the offseason to get stronger..hes way to good in OHL if you watch him play its like he barely has to try and notches at least a ppg..one knock i noticed in WJC sometimes he hustles and makes a great d play but i noticed he is apt to the kessel fly by in the d zone and his board play needs work..he needs strengthing to win those battles, give the kid open ice and he is a magician really a pat kane..b4 this yr i hadnt seen him in action but his iq and vision are special big league sniping abilities too for which he needs to learn to shoot more instead of the cute pass

neway besides them based purely on current roster (ie may grab a high prospect and draft yet to be determind)

leipsic aka darcy tucker
brown if healthy
soshkinov/percy
zaitsev if signed but he may benefit from some ahl to get used to north american game

btw for those saying trade leo..ur nuts

hes one guy we need to build around he is a horse works his butt off great in room..perfect example of what to strive for the young guns

finally im really curious about draft..we could have a record # of picks however i watched something where they proved that a huge # of picks doesnt translate to more nhl success...however we do have hunter

also that many picks doesnt mean we use them all they can be used in a trade to move up or for a player

deadline day is another animal if we dont move at least half of the one yr guys id be surprised most are having good enough yrs for a playoff push team to pursue...then ppl have to remember you need a partner to trade with so..the only thing left is we have lou at the helm hes pulled sum gr8 moves at deadline and draft fingers crossed

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
i didnt include leivo bcause for now hes fallen out of favor with babs but to be fair he needs to be on a skilled line like he is in the ahl but he has a shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad