How many rookies make the Leafs next year?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Locks are Nylander and Leivo.

Stonger chances are to Marner, Percy and Harrington.

Decent chance to guys like Hyman, Sosh and Johnson(pro experience)

Little chance to the rest.

I can see all of the top 3 draft picks this year playing in the NHL, but I don't know if the two finns will step in right away with the leafs(even though they easily could).

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Nylander

Leivo if he is still here

If we draft 1-4, and assuming those 4 are Matthews, Laine, Pulju and Chychrun, I think any of those 4 could realistically play in the NHL next year.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I could see Marner returning to London as a center, then WJC as a center, then finish the year off with the leafs.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We might not see any rookie defencemen. Percy and Loov are the only prospects remotely close, but they certainly haven't earned a reservation yet.

At forward there's really any number of guys with legitimate chances. Nylander, Marner, and Leivo for sure, while Sohsnikov, Kapanen, Brown and Leipic all have a chance as well.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Nylander, Marner and Johnson are locks to me. It's time for Johnson to make the jump, Babcock will love him, he already plays a pro game. Marner is too good for Junior so he will be playing 4th line with heavy PP duties to start while Nylander is pegged for a top 6 role.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Locks: Nylander, Leivo, Percy
Likely: Brown, Soshnikov, Marner, Kapanen, Johnson, Loov
Outside shot: Timashov, Valiev, Bailey, Gauthier, Leipsic

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Forwards:

Nylander, Leivo are likely bets .. Soshnikov and Leipsic are two darkhores candidates IMO.

Defense:

Harrington and Percy have the best chance to grab a bottom pairing role .. My darkhorse player to crack the roster would be Dermott - had a strong training camp last year and could make the jump right away.

Sparks would also be making the team as the back up.

I'd say the most likely are Nylander, Leivo, and Sparks. Soshnikov, Harrington, Percy, and Leipsic would round out who I think have the best chance (in order).

... Oh and potentially Matthews, Laine, or Puljujarvi as well ;)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Forwards:

Nylander, Leivo are likely bets .. Soshnikov and Leipsic are two darkhores candidates IMO.

Defense:

Harrington and Percy have the best chance to grab a bottom pairing role .. My darkhorse player to crack the roster would be Dermott - had a strong training camp last year and could make the jump right away.

Sparks would also be making the team as the back up.

I'd say the most likely are Nylander, Leivo, and Sparks. Soshnikov, Harrington, Percy, and Leipsic would round out who I think have the best chance (in order).

... Oh and potentially Matthews, Laine, or Puljujarvi as well ;)

You forgot Marner.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Nylander is the only automatic

Brown's injury makes him uncertain as he lost a year of development this season, how he plays the rest of the year once he returns will determine if he might get promoted next year.

Leivo, Soshnikov and Harrington & Loov are other candidates to fill depth positions on the Leafs, where there are openings.

Marner might get the 9 game NHL tryout, based on his offseason strength gain and training camp performance.

If Leafs get a top 3 pick in the draft that player is a strong candidate to remain with the team also.

Similar thinking to the above. I'd say 2, with potential for 3 or 4 players.

Forward - Nylander, Leivo
Defense "maybes" - Percy/Harringrton (one of)
Wildcard - Sparks (or goalie) if one of our existing ones depart

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Matthews creates a bit of a problem ( a nice one ). It is hard to imagine him not being a Leaf if we get him (not that I believe for a second we would get a break like that but never say never). Without Matthews I see our Centre being

Bozak
Nylander
Kadri (he will get the checking assignments but ice time will be close for all three)
Mystery guy

Add Matthews and someone has to go wing because none of these guys is a 4rth line C

JVR and Lupul are locks for LW 1 and LW 2

RW is wide open with Brown, Kaps, Marner all wanting RW 1 and 2 Matthews could play RW for a year while we wait to move Bozak (if he is not already gone by then) but does anyone see this management team going with 2 of the top 3 centres as rookies ? I don't.

Add to that a couple vet free agents and I see some serious competition for jobs with only so many rookies being allowed (my guess is 3-5 max).

Like I say, nice problem to have.

LeafsGeeks

Jan 22, 2016
Nylander's a lock.

Marner almost has to make the team, it's unprecedented a player with his production in Junior gets sent back down for his draft+2 year.

I can see Leivo and Brown making the team next year, as well as Stuart Percy. Unless we bring in a bunch of vets on one year deals next year like we did this year, somebody's going to have to fill the opening spots. We don't want to fill a roster with too many rookies (a la Edmonton), but guys like Brown and leivo who have earned it and are later in their development, it makes all the sense in the world to give them a shot next year.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I think a lot of us are forgetting what Shanny, Lou and Babcock have said about the prospects. The only ones I see truly given a good, long, hard look at camp would be Nylander, Brown, Percy, Harrington and Soshnikov and possibly Gauthier. The rest are givens to be back with Marlies or back to juniors.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think a lot of us are forgetting what Shanny, Lou and Babcock have said about the prospects. The only ones I see truly given a good, long, hard look at camp would be Nylander, Brown, Percy, Harrington and Soshnikov and possibly Gauthier. The rest are givens to be back with Marlies or back to juniors.

To remind people what they said .. it was something along the lines "when they do come up they want them to stay up permanently thereafter" ..

They don't want players yo-yoing up and down. With that criteria in mind only the prospects that are over-ripened will be on the team.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Zaitsev should make the team, which takes up a spot from Percy/Harrington potentially.

Vesey is another wildcard who should be NHL ready if we sign him.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I'm starting to think the more interesting conversation will be "how many rookies/prospects get traded before next season". There seems to be a few that will need to go through waivers.

Will we see another quantity for quality type this year? But hopefully for someone much more effective and younger than Grabner.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
#1 William Nylander (would've graduated after the All-Star break but for his concussion at the WJC)
#2 Brendan Leipsic (I may be reaching here but this kid looks good and could make the jump early)
#3 Andreas Johnson (Think they need to see what this kid has or divest themselves, but gotta think they see first...)

Close: Timashov (1-2 years), Harrington (0.5 years), Marner (1-2 years), Brown (1-2 years), Kapanen (0.5-1 year), Percy (1-2 years), Herzog (1.5-2 years)

Dark Horse: Kapanen, he's got the minutes in the AHL logged (though not necessarily with the Leafs' system) and his WJC performance probably added to his confidence/swagger and that's important in Babcock's world.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I don't have much faith in the Leafs re-signing Leivo. Yeah losing an asset sucks but I don't see them using a contract spot on a guy like him.

They can't likely trade him for anything and re-signing him just to trade his seems unlikely too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad