How many rookies make the Leafs next year?

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure I'd say Marner is a lock.

It's quite the predicament because he can't play in the AHL next year so that leaves either the Leafs or Knights. He waste his talents in the OHL for another year and wouldn't get any development, I think he's too small (muscle wise) for the NHL right now, so that might only leave overseas? Can he do that? I don't know.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I, for one, will be devastated if we move percy and leivo. They've been projects for a few years now and we have seen really exciting glimpses of them up with the leafs, it would be a shame not to be able to see what they could do as a real part of the team

We've been developing them for so long so that they can be a part of the future, next year would be the perfect time for them to come up and stay up. They've had extra seasoning, literally nothing left to prove down in the minors. They've done their time, and in their call ups have stood out amongst the other players and look like they were projected to be: percy a sound, calm, poised and smart puck moving defenseman, and leivo a fast, skilled with an edge 2nd or 3rd liner.

Yeah they could be assets, but they haven't had a real chance. How would we know we're not giving up more than we're getting back. It seems illogical not to give them a real shot next year.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
The only real lock I can say right now is Nylander. Zaitsev, if they get him signed, is a pretty strong candidate.

Soshnikov and Brown will be on the bubble, Sosh might even get a sniff this year after the deadline. Vesey, if they get him signed, might be there too.

Marner is tough to say, have to see how he progresses physically, right now I'd say no.

There might be another one if the Leafs draft top 4, so for me, 1 for sure, maybe 3 on the outside.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Percy can't make the club from the start of the season I'd look to trade him.

In recent weeks Mirtle has speculated that a large number of rookies could be in the lineup - next preseason will be a lot more exciting to watch knowing there are a lot of spots up for grabs.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not sure I'd say Marner is a lock.

It's quite the predicament because he can't play in the AHL next year so that leaves either the Leafs or Knights. He waste his talents in the OHL for another year and wouldn't get any development, I think he's too small (muscle wise) for the NHL right now, so that might only leave overseas? Can he do that? I don't know.

The start of the 2016 season is 10 months away. He could very well put on 10-15 pounds or more in that time.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babcock won't demote 22/23 year olds who've paid their dues and put in a solid showing at camp because of the possibility of too many rookies.

• William Nylander 19 (20 on May 1)
  • Mitchell Marner 18 (19 on May 5 - may return for half a season)
  • Connor Brown 22 (may return for half a season)
  • Viktor Loov 23 (24 on November 16)
  • Nikita Soshnikov 22 (23 on October 14)
  • Stuart Percy 22 (23 on May 18)
  • Josh Leivo 22 (23 on May 26)
  • Zach Hyman 23 (24 on June 9 - may return for more seasoning)
  • Garrett Sparks 22 (23 on June 28)
  • Nikita Zaitsev 24 (25 on Oct 29)
  • Casey Bailey 24 (released)

Can't discount a trade to shorten this list.

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
jvr stamkos mathews (1)
holland bozak nylander (2)
komorov kadri marner (3)
winnik froese leivo/lupul

gardiner phaneuf
rielly zaitsev (4)
hunwick pery (5)

Reimer
sparks (6) if he qualifies??

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
JVR-Kadri-Marner
Komarov-Nylander-Kapanen
Holland-Bozak-Brown
Leipsic-Carrick-Leivo

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Percy-Harrington

Big youth movement, let us hope.

Imagine adding Stamkos and Matthews or Laine to that? Playoffs.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Considering what we witnessed at the WJC I really can't see Marner on this team next year.

Immaturity and his small size will necessitate development time, another year in the OHL and then maybe one or two in the AHL.

Kid has amazing skill though!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
#1 William Nylander (would've graduated after the All-Star break but for his concussion at the WJC)
#2 Brendan Leipsic (I may be reaching here but this kid looks good and could make the jump early)
#3 Andreas Johnson (Think they need to see what this kid has or divest themselves, but gotta think they see first...)

Close: Timashov (1-2 years), Harrington (0.5 years), Marner (1-2 years), Brown (1-2 years), Kapanen (0.5-1 year), Percy (1-2 years), Herzog (1.5-2 years)

Dark Horse: Kapanen, he's got the minutes in the AHL logged (though not necessarily with the Leafs' system) and his WJC performance probably added to his confidence/swagger and that's important in Babcock's world.

Realized I forgot Soshnikov... Might bump Leipsic out.

But both Leipsic and Soshnikov have been referred to as up-and-coming Komarovs.

How amazing will it be to have a Komarov on every line??

I think when Babcock said the other day about wishing teams would fear the Leafs, that is probably an integral component.

The Corporal and his Lieutenants!!

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Oh and Zaitsev will go straight to the NHL I think. This won't be the same situation as with Soshnikov because the latter was younger and played for a worse team.

Zaitsev was a first-team All-Star playing on the illustrious Red Army team.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
JVR Bozak Brown
Leivo Kadri Komorov
Winnik Nylander Soshnikov
--------- Froese Holland

Rielly Hunwick
Phaneuf Gardiner
Percy/Loov Zaitsev

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I've said it before - I hope next year is the development of our youth in the NHL year: Insulate each line with a vet(or2) and let the graduated prospects get their NHL legs.

If Stammer:
JvR-Nylander-Stamkos (Platoon on the C, let Willie learn)
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Lupul-Bozak-Marner/Sosh/Tima/Kap
Winnik-Holland-Marner/Sosh/Tima/Kap

No Stammer:
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JvR-Nylander-Holland (or FA)
Lupul-Bozak-Marner/Sosh/Tima/Kap
Winnik-F/A (or Holland)-Marner/Sosh/Tima/Kap

Who cares if a guy like Marner starts on the 4th line, this year should be about progression and learning. If he hits a bump or doesn't get enough playing time - send him back to London.

lukeleim

Dec 1, 2009
Calgary
Fantasy:

2016 NHL Deadline

Leafs trade Tyler Bozak to the New Jersey Devils for the Devils' 2nd round draft pick of 2016
Leafs trade Roman Polak to the NY Islanders for the Islanders' 2nd round draft pick of 2016
Leafs trade P.A. Parenteau to the Anaheim Ducks for the Ducks' 3rd round draft pick of 2016
Leafs trade Michal Grabner and Jonathan Bernier to the Calgary Flames for Jonas Hiller, Mason Raymond and the Flames' 2nd round draft pick of 2017

2016 lineup
JVR - Kadri - Komarov
Matthias - Holland - Lupul
Raymond - Spaling - Boyes
Winnik - Froese - Clune

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Marincin - Carrodo

Reimer
Emery

July 1
Resign Nazem Kadri five-year contract for 25 million
Resign Peter Holland two-year contract for 1.6 million
Resign Morgan Rielly four-year contract for 18 million
Resign Frank Corrado one-year contract for 700,000
Resign James Reimer three-year contract for 12 million
Sign Steven Stamkos seven-year contract for 70 million
Sign David Perron two-year contract for 5 million
Sign Justin Schultz one-year contract for 1.5 million
Sign Anton Khudobin one-year contract for 1 million
Sign Nikita Zaitsev one-year ELC contract

2016/2017 lineup
JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Perron - Kadri - Komarov
Holland - Nylander - Lupul
Winnik - Froese - Morin/Brown/Leipsic/Leivo

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Zaitsev/Corrado/Harrington/Percy - Schultz

Reimer
Khudobin

Jaycer

Nov 9, 2014
That's how I see it going down. I would PREFER that it moves along much faster. I'm not sure why a lot of you are saying Zaitsev makes the team next season, I listed him for next season because we could use a good defenceman. I'd love that to be the case, but I'm not sure why they would rush him into the NHL without giving him some time to develop on the farm team or Q or similar league

Zaitsev is 24, so he can't go down to the CHL.

I see the only lock being Nylander. Not Zaitsev because he hasn't proven himself within the Leafs organization (even though I think he's very ready). I can see them giving him at least 20-ish games in the A before trying him out. Not Marner because I could see a scenario in which they think he's just a bit too weak still, and having him play a full (and dominant) year at centre to test him out as a potential C down the road.

Locks:

Nylander, no doubt about it.

Strong Chances:

2016 1st (If it's Matthews, it's a lock. Pulju, 80%. Laine, 75%)
Zaitsev (90%)
Marner (75%)
Leivo (75%)
Sparks (75%)
Percy (70%)
Harrington (70%)

Darkhorses:

Brown (If he's feeling 100%, go ahead and put him at 75% too)
Leipsic (Only if two of Marner, Leivo or Brown are left off, then there's a chance)
Soshnikov (Same as Leipsic)
Loov (If Percy is dealt, there's a chance he goes over Harrington, but I doubt it)

(I'm not great with percentages but those are close enough. I think it's a close race, to say the least.)

Projected 2015-16 Lineup (to start the year)

Komarov - Kadri - 2016 1st/Marner/FA
JVR - Nylander/Stamkos - FA/Nylander/Brown
(If Stammer's here, it's the 1st line; Nylander would definitely be on the wing in this case)
Leivo/Holland/Leipsic/Lupul/anyone apparently - Holland/FA - Lupul/Soshnikov
Winnik/FA - Froese/FA - Winnik/FA (Not sure which side Winnik plays)

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Zaitsev (Top 2 lines interchangable)
Hunwick - Percy/Harrington/Loov

Bernier
Reimer/Sparks

Lots of positions up for grabs. I tried to incorporate all possibilities which is why this is a complete mess. Dream lines for me, though, are these:

JVR - Stamkos - Nylander (Test Stammer and Nylander at C, see who works better)
Komarov - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - Holland - Lupul (has to be realistic, as much as Lupul doesn't fit anymore)
Winnik - FA (maybe Spaling) - FA

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Hunwick - Percy

Bernier
Sparks (as long as we got a whole boatload for Reimer)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad