How long the rebuilding will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Excellent observation. One of the biggest difference's between good management and terrible management, is how to maintain the organization's reputation.

Not only has Lowe repeatedly promoted this idea to justify his difficulty building a team, but by many accounts he creates an environment that existing players want to leave.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Is there an "infinity" option? I don't think we will even sniff a playoff spot as long as Lowe and MacT are in charge

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think the intention of management and ownership was for the Oilers to for sure be a contender by the time they moved into the new arena. So they have one season left to do this...
I think Katz just assumed when he announced the rebuild in 2010 that five years of high picks would be ample time for these clowns to turn the team around. I wonder what he thinks five years later when this team isn't any better and might even be worse than when they started? Who am I kidding? I doubt he ever thinks about this team. They're still making money for him.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm fairly confident that my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandson Zork, son of Krrg, Emissary of the Deep, Clan Chief of the Subsurface Ocean peoples of Europa, Husband to Queen Zrtrylyxx of the Great Methane Sea civilization of Titan, will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labour, and enjoy a successful rebuild of the Oilers. He will sit in the Emperor's suite, next to the head of Kevin Lowe, known only by his noble title, 'Six Rings' snug, and comfortable in his stasis jar he will intone, a message long forgotten, a phrase borne of prophecy, words to shake the pillars of humanity, he will utter as it was foretold..."I ****in' told you I know a little something about winning."

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If I had 1 million at the start of this year and someone said to me the Calgary Flames will finish ahead of the Oilers I would've slammed it down no questions asked on the Oilers to win. Calgary was bad last year and lost Cammalleri. Oilers were supposed to be competing for playoffs.

Oilers are 4 points up on Buffalo who have been trying to be bad since the 1013/2014 season to set themselves up for this year. That is just incredible.

This quote just says it all. THis was MacT on TSN at the beginning of the year.
""Last year was such a debacle from start to finish in so many ways," Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish explained to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, "that we are for sure going to better, it's just a measure of how much.
"

LMFAO!!!! That one has to be held up in neon lights. We have to make sure he wears that quote forever. It must live in infamy

Hey, that would make a great billboard!!!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
MacT sure says alot of things that come back to haunt him... bold moves, Norris candidate Schultz, and the quote above. Smh

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
There is one thing that keeps Katz accountable to the fans: NEW ARENA. I think more and more fans will vote with their legs, I also believe in that fans should use walk away power to Create some pressure. If attendance is down, season ticket holders giving up... Maybe that leads Katz to fire KLowe and replace hinnoittelu someone who will rebuild the organization.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
There is one thing that keeps Katz accountable to the fans: NEW ARENA. I think more and more fans will vote with their legs, I also believe in that fans should use walk away power to Create some pressure. If attendance is down, season ticket holders giving up... Maybe that leads Katz to fire KLowe and replace hinnoittelu someone who will rebuild the organization.

He could care less, the new arena will be full the 1st few years just because it is new.

He gets ALL revenue from the damn thing and concerts are a cash cow in this city.

He laughed and won the game when the city rolled over like a tomato can boxer and gave him a new arena essentially for free.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
He could care less, the new arena will be full the 1st few years just because it is new.

He gets ALL revenue from the damn thing and concerts are a cash cow in this city.

He laughed and won the game when the city rolled over like a tomato can boxer and gave him a new arena essentially for free.

Stephen Mandel pushed this through as i recall. Its pretty tough for people to see the truth when the mayor is doing as much to **** the city as Katz was. It still makes me wonder what was in it for Mandel? Maybe he got down on his knee and got to kiss KLowes six rings.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Stephen Mandel pushed this through as i recall. Its pretty tough for people to see the truth when the mayor is doing as much to **** the city as Katz was. It still makes me wonder what was in it for Mandel? Maybe he got down on his knee and got to kiss KLowes six rings.

I am happy that I moved back home and I do not need to pay taxes to provide that ****ing show. I am sorry for you guys. Mandel is a real ***. Katz is a small man who has bought his way to the boys in the bus club. As you said in other words he does not care about winning but make money and being in the club.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
By the way Petry trade does not look like that bad now. Petry has 0 points in Montreal. At least the management got something right

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
By the way Petry trade does not look like that bad now. Petry has 0 points in Montreal. At least the management got something right

and the Oil have, what, 2 wins. Against the Flyers (needed 5 goals to win) and the Leafs (worst team in the league right now).

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Now he's the Health Minister in the Tory cabinet. He's the gift that keeps giving for Katz.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This thread has been up now 5 years. According to poll 70 % thought that rebuilding should be over now. It was not even possible to vote beyond the season 2016-17. Management needs to be accountable and it means deadline to the rebuilding.

Chiarelli was fired and he should be hired here. He would be a GM who can fix this team and Oilers would make playoffs in the season 2016-17. Klowe and MacT should be fired

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
"Rebuilding" was just a marketing angle used to market "Horrible Hockey" to Oiler fans.

I think that's the joke of this all. THERE IS NO REBUILD.

We are simply a very bad, and poorly managed team.

This OP is simply asking "When will we no longer be Bad and Poorly Managed"?

The answer is "Not any time soon" (When Kevin Lowe is fired.. so give it another 20 years).

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
"Rebuilding" was just a marketing angle used to market "Horrible Hockey" to Oiler fans.

I think that's the joke of this all. THERE IS NO REBUILD.

We are simply a very bad, and poorly managed team.

This OP is simply asking "When will we no longer be Bad and Poorly Managed"?

The answer is "Not any time soon" (When Kevin Lowe is fired.. so give it another 20 years).

I just wonder why we have been trapped by this marketing trap. Only way to make the team competitive is stop supporting it. Money makes people to do things they don't usually do, like fire friends

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
the rebuild will be over when Nurse and Hanifi/Strome and next year's top 3 pick are major contributors. so, in about 5 years.

the question is: will they even be an exceptional team when it is all over? I think they are trending to be a solid, but not special team (unless they win the lottery, which I think they are banking on)

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
the rebuild will be over when Nurse and Hanifi/Strome and next year's top 3 pick are major contributors. so, in about 5 years.

the question is: will they even be an exceptional team when it is all over? I think they are trending to be a solid, but not special team (unless they win the lottery, which I think they are banking on)

I would kill for that right now. Hell, even a tweener team would be great.

We just have to wait and see if they do become successful, despite our team's management.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thing that always bugs me about these articles, is that they always fail to outright mention the single biggest reason for the failure of the Oiler's rebuild - rebuilding needs to apply to more than just the players on the ice.

You look at the successful rebuilds around the NHL(Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, St.Louis, Tbay, Boston etc), they all cleared out the old guard that made the team terrible in the first place while at the same time putting competent people in charge. The Oilers by contrast, are still running with the same scouting staff that helped to tank a decade plus of drafts, and have doubled down on the duo(Lowe/Mact) that made the team terrible in the first place.

The Oilers aren't where they are because they rushed players into the NHL, didn't stick to a plan, or picked the wrong players. It's because the people in charge are under the delusion that they know what they are doing, and that the only thing they needed to do to change the team's fortune was draft talented players.

I would suggest that its all of the above. IIRC it was a Katz decision to make sure the Oilers played the kids right from the get go so he could sell 'hope'.

The dysfunction starts at the top and cascades throughout the organization.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
We're gonna need to re-open the poll, eliminate the first three choices, and add a few more. :laugh: :help:

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
The Oilers will return to the playoffs in 2034.

In 2033, the Oilers will draft Wayne Gretzy's grandson Tatum Gretzky Johnson and we'll be set :sarcasm:

Look on the bright side, the Oilers will have set the unbreakable record of 28 consecutive seasons without playoffs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad