How long the rebuilding will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We're gonna need to re-open the poll, eliminate the first three choices, and add a few more. :laugh: :help:

There is a point to keep this going without re-opening. If we will not make playoffs 2016-17 we can prove statistically MIRACLE ON ICE. Something that will be beyond imagination or worst possible nightmares.

I believe in possibility to turn around this ship in a year and make playoffs next spring. 4 players need to be brought here

1. Number one goalie (Niemi)
2. Better center to play with Yak on the second line (winning the lottery)
3. Real NHLer to play with Lander on the third line (UFA markets)
4. Real top pairing defense man to play with Fayne (trade for the Phaneuf)

If we do not pick first we just have to wait next year and play Yak with Roy until Draisalt is ready for the job

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I can see Boston lapping us in rebuilds in two years time.

Also buffalo will probably start to compete next year and be good for a decade.

The only team even sniffing our gutter is philly.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would just stop calling it a "Rebuild" because to Rebuild means that you actually Build something at some point.

When will the team not be ****ty again? I don't know, I certainly hope it's before I'm in my 40s.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The rebuild will end when Katz becomes senile/passes away and the reigns are handed over to the sideshow bob looking kid. I call this the Blackhawks model after Billy Wirtz handed the reigns to Rocky.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The rebuild will end when Katz becomes senile/passes away and the reigns are handed over to the sideshow bob looking kid. I call this the Blackhawks model after Billy Wirtz handed the reigns to Rocky.

FFS, this is getting really stupid now. Keep your fingers crossed I guess.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
giphy.gif

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I guess its time to rebuild the rebuild..

Core of Nurse, Klefbom, Hanifin on D
Draisaitl, Yakupov up front.
LB in net

RNH to be the mentoring vet you keep around...

everyone else gets purged. See you in 5 yrs.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The Oilers rebuild like my old boss chose web technologies.

Flash is never going away, compatible with all browsers!
Ruby on Rails is the cats pajamas!
Internet Explorer will never have to share the market!

The end of Javascript is upon us!

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I would just stop calling it a "Rebuild" because to Rebuild means that you actually Build something at some point.

When will the team not be ****ty again? I don't know, I certainly hope it's before I'm in my 40s.

Jimmi, this kind of anger from you? Wow, is the apocalypse around the corner?!?? :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Basically there is no rebuild. There is only failure.

The Oilers are now locked into a long term cycle of "failure - slight improvement - bad management - failure - slight improvement - bad management ..." etc.

Since the current group of parasites are hanging onto their host for dear life, I don't honestly see a point where the team can improve sufficiently to compete in the playoffs. At a point 3 or 4 years from now where improvement is possible: Hall, Eberle, RNH become UFA's and guaranteed they walk.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
The sad thing is... you look at the teams in the playoffs, and even in the hunt who narrowly missed, the Oilers aren't even close to competing with those teams. There is nothing to suggest that they'll be able to anytime soon either. Unless MacT gets fired and competent management is hired that does some shakeup trades, its very possible that playoffs are still 5+ years away

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jimmi, this kind of anger from you? Wow, is the apocalypse around the corner?!?? :sarcasm::sarcasm:

You're hear enough to complain that you aren't that ignorant to my feelings on the team and management.

I'm angry with the utter failure that I'm basically ignoring (in terms of watching the team play), and it frustrates me greatly that I'm lacking interest because of the woeful product.

Edit: I'm still going to hold out hope that there's going to be a whole lotta Firin'

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
You're hear enough to complain that you aren't that ignorant to my feelings on the team and management.

I'm angry with the utter failure that I'm basically ignoring (in terms of watching the team play), and it frustrates me greatly that I'm lacking interest because of the woeful product.

Edit: I'm still going to hold out hope that there's going to be a whole lotta Firin'

You and I are really at the same position. I just got to it 3 or 4 years earlier ... and became a lot more frustrated than most as time wore on.

I agree with you whole heartedly on the "whole lotta Firin" !

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can see Boston lapping us in rebuilds in two years time.

Also buffalo will probably start to compete next year and be good for a decade.

The only team even sniffing our gutter is philly.

Boston won't really need to do a rebuild. Just a bit of fine tuning.

Buffalo will be last again next year and will struggle to break from the bottom 5 for the next 5 years. They have chosen the Oilers rebuild model. They have no goaltending. Their defense is better than ours but hardly anything to be impressed about and far too weak/inexperienced. Their forwards are junk outside of McEichel. Even Reinhart isn't exactly tracking well right now.

They are in the easier Eastern Conference but still can't see them doing well for a long long time.

If they do get McDavid I would think the generational talent thing will have them playoff bound by the end of those 5 years but it will be interesting to see if McDavid can develop under Oiler type conditions.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

LB in net

I've been saying for awhile this is what ends up happening.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
It may never work. Many expansion franchises are in a perpetual state of rebuilding (Atlanta, also Columbus).

Just because you draft some nice players does not mean you get a dance ticket to the playoffs punched every year. Look at Atlanta with Kovy, Savard, and Heatley/Hossa.. all in their primes - nada.

It's going to take a hell of a lot more than #6, #23, #10, and #1 picks to go anywhere.

I look absolutely prescient here. Damn, I'm smart.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we are about 1/2 way throught it--big hit comes in 2 years when we start thinking about trading Hall and Eberle because we are not in the playoffs and they are heading towards UFA--that is when the fun begins--if we start playing better and getting more points in both the standings and score sheet--they will be in for raises

for me the core of the team we should be building around are

1-Leon
2-Nuge
3-Yak
4-Nurse
5-Klefbom

and build from there

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
we are about 1/2 way throught it--big hit comes in 2 years when we start thinking about trading Hall and Eberle because we are not in the playoffs and they are heading towards UFA--that is when the fun begins--if we start playing better and getting more points in both the standings and score sheet--they will be in for raises

1-Leon
2-Nuge
3-Yak
4-Nurse
5-Klefbom

and build from there

I really think Hall and Eberle still need to be in the equation, I agree with your list otherwise.

These kids are seriously talented and quite young, they turn corners quite drastically every season. Why give up on them now? Hall was an 80pt player not too long ago, Eberle very close to the same total.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

1-Leon
2-Nuge
3-Yak
4-Nurse
5-Klefbom

and build from there

I think you have Yak too high. I cant see him having more value than Hall and Eberle moving forward.

Leon had better improve his skating or he might not even be in the top 5 much less in the #1 position.

BTW...are these Richard Simmons avatars an annual event for you?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think you have Yak too high. I cant see him having more value than Hall and Eberle moving forward.

Leon had better improve his skating or he might not even be in the top 5 much less in the #1 position.

BTW...are these Richard Simmons avatars an annual event for you?

this avatar is a little different

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

LB in net

That's actually what should be done.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In hindsight, the first page of this thread is both insightful and depressing.

We should have a poll of how much longer or what it'll take till we finally see a front office rebuild.

It sure is, and you can see hope dwindling more and more with each bump.
I also noticed some prominent posters who used to post here that have disappeared.

It's sad that when this thread was created in 2010 there was hope that playoff contention was 2-3 years away and cup contention not too far after that, now fast forward 5 years later and they are still at least 2-3 years away from even contending for a playoff spot in all likelihood if ever and have only jumped 2 spots in the standings in 5 years. The defense in 2010 was actually much paper than the one we see today and I didn't think it was possible for them to downgrade the 2010 D. Unprecedented suck, generational really. The Oilers are the Bobby Orr of sucking.

Last edited:

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
This rebuild is already a failure. Time to start a new poll. Time to start a new rebuild. This time from the top down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad