How long the rebuilding will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm scared to think how long this rebuild will take. The Oilers can't even compete against playoff bubble teams during the regular season, let alone compete in the playoffs. The Oilers would get crushed in any playoff series against physical teams like Anaheim or even Winnipeg. Watching the playoffs and the intensity and physical play of all the teams has me thinking this team still has a VERY long ways to go.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
1) Rebuild is a nebulous term.
2) Rebuild is a moving target.

The word rebuild should never be used in regards to the Edmonton Oilers.

9 times out of 10 when it is used it is used to excuse horrible team and management performance.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
When Nurse, Hanifin/Provorov and Draisaitl are ready, the team will turn around. Hopefully that's not too far off.

In the 11.5% case that the Oilers win the lottery, it would get significantly better starting next season.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
With very good management and scouting - 2 years.

With league average management - 3 to 5 years.

With the current group - literally never.

Top draft picks can help, but without good management and scouting no team makes the playoffs. It is not an issue of time, the current management team is simply not good enough at what they do to build a playoff calibre team.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
With very good management and scouting - 2 years.

With league average management - 3 to 5 years.

With the current group - literally never.

Top draft picks can help, but without good management and scouting no team makes the playoffs. It is not an issue of time, the current management team is simply not good enough at what they do to build a playoff calibre team.

We need to take into consideration also good luck. First over all pick will bring McDavid here and probably rebuilding is over in 2 years. In 2 years we just will see how far the management can take the Oilers

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers will get one more bottom 5 pick next season and then the management will go all in to make moves.

I actually don't see it.

If Nelson was the coach from camp they probably would've finished outside the bottom 5, they damn near played their way out of it as it was.

Management needs to start making improvements now. No excuse for not getting at minimum one decent d-man and an upgrade in net this summer now.

Besides honestly McDavid already has several other high end talents to play with upfront now, this isn't like the Cavaliers with LeBron James initial run there where they didn't have another star player to team him with.

McDavid has Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, etc. to play with and even has another all-star caliber center in RNH and maybe even another one on top of that in Draisaitl to work with ... that's an embarrassment of riches.

To be honest I don't think next year's draft is all that special anyway. This was the one that the Oilers badly needed to win and they got it by luck.

Even if they do nothing but sign a mid-tier d-man like Erhoff, acquire a goalie upgrade like Craig Anderson, and have a full year of either Nelson (or gulp) Babcock ... that's probably a 85-90 point team.

Last edited:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I actually don't see it.

If Nelson was the coach from camp they probably would've finished outside the bottom 5, they damn near played their way out of it as it was.

Management needs to start making improvements now. No excuse for not getting at minimum one decent d-man and an upgrade in net this summer now.

Besides honestly McDavid already has several other high end talents to play with upfront now, this isn't like the Cavaliers with LeBron James initial run there where they didn't have another star player to team him with.

McDavid has Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, etc. to play with and even has another all-star caliber center in RNH and maybe even another one on top of that in Draisaitl to work with ... that's an embarrassment of riches.

To be honest I don't think next year's draft is all that special anyway. This was the one that the Oilers badly needed to win and they got it.

Nelson=Krueger

Krueger=Turfed
Nelson=Turfed

Oilers will bring in another Eakins this offseason and we'll be right back in the same position next year.:nod:

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I actually don't see it.

To be honest I don't think next year's draft is all that special anyway. This was the one that the Oilers badly needed to win and they got it by luck.

Even if they do nothing but sign a mid-tier d-man like Erhoff, acquire a goalie upgrade like Craig Anderson, and have a full year of either Nelson (or gulp) Babcock ... that's probably a 85-90 point team.

Sources say that the 2016 NHL Draft is weak and only has 2 players that are of worthy discussion.

Austin Matthews
Jakob Chychrun

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Sources say that the 2016 NHL Draft is weak and only has 2 players that are of worthy discussion.

Austin Matthews
Jakob Chychrun

As of right now the 2016 draft looks very good too. Matthews might be close to Eichel's level which in turn is probably close to a Stamkos or Tavares. Hell, he broke Patrick Kane's scoring record in the USNTDP. Chychrun is looking every bit as that #1 stud d-man every team covets. I think he might actually be the best d-man since Doughty but obviously it's too early to tell and I guess it's getting pretty old with all the d-men hype the past few years (Jones, Ekblad, Hanifin...) but Chychrun stepped in and was the #1 d-man for Sarnia in his first year. If he wasn't injured he'd have made the U18 team. The injuries are actually the only thing I'm really worried about with him. He's missed OHL Cup, U17 WHC and now U18 WJC in just the past year basically.

And then you have Jesse Puljujärvi out of Finland who for once seem to live up to the finnish hype machine. I was never convinced with Barkov, Granlund etc but Puljujärvi looks like the real deal. I doubt that top3 is going to change at all, all those three guys are complete studs and every team picking in the top3 will get a really good player. And then behind those guys you have Sokolov (who might break into the top3), Tkachuk, Benson and a bunch of other guys I'm not gonna bother to namedrop. When it's all said and done I think the 2016 draft will be very similar in quality to the 2013 one. The 1st round will be scary good. So...yeah, I'm not worried. I mean hopefully the Oilers don't pick top5. Wherever they pick they are gonna get a great prospect once again.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Not much longer we need a star defensemen average D men won't cut it. An upgrade in goal will help too. Nurse and Leon will give the Oilers a big boost and McDavid will change everything. He maybe be a little sad to be so far from home but when he sees how much the city will embrace him and the team too he will be happy. Also with the money he makes his parents will probably be able to live here in Edmonton during the regular season if they need to so David will have family around if he wants. Things will work out fine. I say 2 maybe 3 years. It depends on if the Oilers management try to aggressively get a strong D-man or not.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not much longer we need a star defensemen average D men won't cut it. An upgrade in goal will help too. Nurse and Leon will give the Oilers a big boost and McDavid will change everything. He maybe be a little sad to be so far from home but when he sees how much the city will embrace him and the team too he will be happy. Also with the money he makes his parents will probably be able to live here in Edmonton during the regular season if they need to so David will have family around if he wants. Things will work out fine. I say 2 maybe 3 years. It depends on if the Oilers management try to aggressively get a strong D-man or not.

I was just up in Edmonton recently, and I have to say, the gentrification that has gone on has made the city look 10x better. It's really not a bad spot to be in. Like, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Winnipeg, Columbus, etc. These aren't top billing places either.

The city should really stop getting **** on. Especially by people, or should I say everyone on the main boards, who hasn't been there. Yeah, it's cold. You play hockey and are about to make millions of dollars. Every single hockey player should suck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad