How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Flynn was essentially swapped for Gionta (though not technically). Character or compete were never an issue ever attributed to him, unlike a few of the guys flubbing around our bottom 6 right now. He just didn't have the size to stay in the vision of a harder to play against team, especially when we don't have a shortage of undersized forwards in the top 6. In hindsight, we would be a better team had he stayed.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The Canada Spengler Cup roster has some familiar names on it this year:

Forwards
Derek Roy, SC Bern
Dan Paille, Rockford Icehogs
Cory Conacher, SC Bern
Matt D’Agostini, Geneve-Servette
James Sheppard, Kloten Flyers
Manny Malhotra, Lake Erie Monsters
Alexandre Giroux, HC Ambrì-Piotta
Kris Foucault, ZSC Lions
Kevin Clark, SCL Tigers
Chris DiDomenico, SCL Tigers
Matt Ellison, Dyanmo Minsk
Cory Emmerton, HC Ambrì-Piotta
Matthew Lombardi, Geneve-Servette
Tom Pyatt, Geneve-Servette

Defencemen
Alexandre Picard, Ingolstadt ERC
Mark Cundari, San Jose Barracuda
Keith Aulie, Springfield Falcons
Marc-Andre Bergeron, ZSC Lions
Trevor Carrick, Charlotte Checkers
Keaton Ellerby, Barys Astana
Aaron Johnson, Stockton Heat
Daniel Vukovic, Geneve-Servette

Goaltenders
Jeff Glass, Dynamo Minsk
Drew MacIntyre, Charlotte Checkers

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/dagostini-clinches-spengler-cup-for-canada/

D’Agostini clinches Spengler Cup for Canada

DAVOS, Switzerland — Matt D’Agostini scored the winning goal midway through the third period as Canada defeated HC Lugano 4-3 at Vaillant Arena to win the Spengler Cup.

Tom Pyatt, Derek Roy and Keaton Ellerby also scored for Canada, which won all four of its games at the annual tournament.

Gregory Hofmann scored twice for the Swiss team and Alessandro Chiesa had the other goal.

Canadian netminder Jeff Glass made 31 saves while Elvis Merzlikins stopped 40 shots for HC Lugano.

It was Canada's 13th Spengler Cup title and first since 2012.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
2014-07-30_10-35-05_Trinecky-asistent-trenera-Vaclav-Varada_z-Regiony-CRJan-Belej.jpg

Had to see what Varada looks like these days. I wonder if bounces at a club in the offseason. Or plays a european mobster in movies.
That's him happy. One of my favorite sabres.

Kiraly

Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, B.C.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/dagostini-clinches-spengler-cup-for-canada/

D’Agostini clinches Spengler Cup for Canada

DAVOS, Switzerland — Matt D’Agostini scored the winning goal midway through the third period as Canada defeated HC Lugano 4-3 at Vaillant Arena to win the Spengler Cup.

Tom Pyatt, Derek Roy and Keaton Ellerby also scored for Canada, which won all four of its games at the annual tournament.

Gregory Hofmann scored twice for the Swiss team and Alessandro Chiesa had the other goal.

Canadian netminder Jeff Glass made 31 saves while Elvis Merzlikins stopped 40 shots for HC Lugano.

It was Canada's 13th Spengler Cup title and first since 2012.

Cory Conacher assisted on the Roy goal.

wayfaringstranger

Mar 31, 2009
Rochester
Rory Fitzpatrick has been pretty active around Rochester in recent years. Him and his wife own a deli in Irondequoit and he became part(close to full) owner of S I R rink in downtown Rochester. Renovated the inside and renamed it Paul Louis Arena. He offers camps and clinics too.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2013/03/15/ludzik-rick-vaive-is-winning-another-battle

LUDZIK: Rick Vaive is winning another battle

The man who broke records, tore down barriers, and entertained hockey fans every Saturday evening is battling back from alcoholism.

He asks for no sympathy. He offers no excuses. He blames no one.

“I feel great,” says former Toronto Maple Leaf captain Rick Vaive. “Make sure everybody knows I feel super.”

Vaive, now 53, ad-libbed his way down the right wing for years at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Night after night, he performed to standing-room only crowds. His booming blast from a white, wooden Titan often found its way past a shivering goalie.

Vaive is still unfairly overshadowed in Leaf lore by the likes of Wendel and Dougie and Darryl and the Chief. Vaive, also known as ‘Squid,’ was as tough as any teammate or opponent, more unforgiving than an irate Mike Keenan, more resilient than any crosscheck he received to the head from Harold Snepsts.

Last edited by a moderator:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Marc-Andre Gragnani has been recalled by NJ and will play his first NHL game in years tonight. He played the last two seasons overseas.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Word is that Ville Leino has signed with Växjö in Sweden. Article is a bit weird because the paper (Expressen) highlights it as "Expressen reveals" while the content of the article is unconfirmed. So basically what the reveal is that there is a rumour. ;)

However, my experience is that if it's in the papers like this, the reporter usually knows it to be true. So, Leino to the SHL.

http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sport/avslojar-vaxjo-varvar-tidigare-nhl-forward/

Edit: Confirmed: http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/75838/

Last edited:

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Word is that Ville Leino has signed with Växjö in Sweden. Article is a bit weird because the paper (Expressen) highlights it as "Expressen reveals" while the content of the article is unconfirmed. So basically what the reveal is that there is a rumour. ;)

However, my experience is that if it's in the papers like this, the reporter usually knows it to be true. So, Leino to the SHL.

http://www.expressen.se/kvallsposten/sport/avslojar-vaxjo-varvar-tidigare-nhl-forward/

Edit: Confirmed: http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/75838/

No man has ever turned such a mediocre into tens of millions of dollars and a 10+year career. We salute you, Ville Leino.

azisnomarsa

Oct 13, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I wouldn't go as far as to say "no man". Surely there's a politican or two to add to the list. ;)

Oh no, Leino, oh let me say... he was on my home town team for the first part of season. He was DREADFUL like, we are one of the worst teams in the league, but good god, Tim Sestito, Tim *** Sestito is our best sniper. Ville was nothing, he showed three flashes of something good in the whole time he was here. It was just horrendous watching him play. This team is better with 19 year olds out of CHL than with that finnish failure. I love me some good Finns, but Ville, damn, he was overpaid pylon.

CMP

Dec 8, 2008
Saw Darryl Shannon at Hockey Giant in Cheektowaga for their grand opening. Very nice guy, took time to chat with each person who came up for an autograph. Also saw him at a hockey clinic a few weeks prior.

sabres19892

Jul 5, 2007
Does anybody know what Tim Connolly is up to??

I follow Ndur on Twitter super nice dude and fun to interact with. @Rumz75

Smehlik still lives in the area and seems to be doing well.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
God we had some gems over the years on this team haha. Got a question for everyone, if you had to pick one, Leino or Moulson? Leino with Eichel... Hmmm hahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad