How are they doing now? (Former Sabres Players) Top 100 pics/stories

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Very interesting responses in this thread, especially Hecht and Mancari. I thought they were both done with hockey. It's great to see they're still playing, and Hecht is dominating the league he's in.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Vanek has looked significantly better as far as providing timely scoring. He's had some snipes a lot of the rest of the Wild probably just couldn't pull off. He's still a liability defensively and I'm hoping he doesn't get too comfortable that 'he's back' or it'll just turn out like last season.

Something is going on with Pominville. Couldn't tell you what it is. But his first season here was good. Believe it was 29g. He has looked off since. Whiffing on pucks, missing the net, timing way off, etc. Dunno what's going on with him but it's definitely to the level of being concerning. He needs to get going. Russo has mentioned they do some line juggling and pair him with Vanek again.

Agree with this.

Vanek was disgusting last year. Slow, full of turnovers, and for some reason decided to become a playmaker(we have a team full of them) rather than the scorer that we needed. There was talk of a groin injury slowing him down, but they said the same thing about Dany.
Fast forward to this year. He's been much better, and has actually sniped a few, while still passing well. He has gone from being painfully slow to below average speed. Still has "creative" turnovers. He plays on our third line, but really should be on our top 6. I find when i watch him this year I say,
"No...NO...NOOO...YES!
whereas last year it was the opposite. Definitely a unique player.

Poms is off to a slow start, has yet to score, but has 6 assists. We don't know whether this is the start of an age related decline, or merely bad luck, as he still gets plenty of shots. Since he is playing on our first line with Parise and Granlund and is also on our #1 PP(though not on the point any more, Praise be to the Gods) we expect better production from him. He seems to be firmly entrenched amongst the veteran core of the team (Parise, Suter, Koivu), and is generally thought of as a good guy.

Personally, I would love to get him off the team because i think he is at the beginning of the end, but i could be wrong. He has quietly had a very productive career, both here and with you guys.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for answering guys :5:

So no one knows what happened to Geoff Sanderson?

Steve Shields?
Andre Trefilov?
Wayne Primeau?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
2014-07-30_10-35-05_Trinecky-asistent-trenera-Vaclav-Varada_z-Regiony-CRJan-Belej.jpg

Had to see what Varada looks like these days. I wonder if bounces at a club in the offseason. Or plays a european mobster in movies.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Man, I am surprised max afinogenov is still alive. Don't know why, but he always struck me as someone that would be killed by the mob or angry Russian hockey fans after his career ended.

I'm happy to hear Jochen Hecht is doing well. He always took a ton of crap here, but he was a very solid player.

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O05De_HJu4

I'd rather have him in the bottom 6 than most the crap there now.

Two former Sabres combine on that goal. Flynn with the goal and Paul Byron with the assist. I always liked Flynn while he was here. Underrated guy who had the speed to play in the league. He played well i the playoffs for the Habs last year. I didn't think he was that dangerous for the tank. I felt it was more a trade just for the sake of a trade. A 5th rounder is a strange return. He just didn't fit a role as a bottom six player on a Tim Murray team. He's not better than Foligno/Deslauriers/McGinn and he's a complete different player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad