How are the Oilers this bad with mcdavid?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Just goes to show how lucky you have to be to build through the draft. You can have all of the top picks that you want but its never a guarantee. Dam though did Pittsburgh ever get lucky in those 2003-2006 drafts
Pens certainly made the most of their top picks and i consider them to be incredibly lucky to get both Crosby and Malkin. Even Whitney was turned into Kunitz who was on the first line and won 3 cups with the pens, and Staal who won a cup with the pens was turned into Dumoulin who has been a top 4 dman the last few years.

That said i wonder how much of how the oilers picks turned out is due to coaching and management. Schultz was a broken player when he got to Pittsburgh but was rehabilitated and now is an integral part of the team. You have to wonder how RNH(who looked like he had massive potential his rookie year) and Yakupov would've developed elsewhere.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
That said i wonder how much of how the oilers picks turned out is due to coaching and management. Schultz was a broken player when he got to Pittsburgh but was rehabilitated and now is an integral part of the team. You have to wonder how RNH(who looked like he had massive potential his rookie year) and Yakupov would've developed elsewhere.

RNH has developed just fine and Yakupov would have failed anywhere on account of the fact that he sucks.

I don't subscribe to the idea that those drafts weren't good enough though(See: Devils, New Jersey). The problem then was the same as the problem now, the Oilers aquired their top picks and surrounded them with nothing but complete garbage.

Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins spent years trying to keep the Oilers afloat pretty much single handedly. Of course it didn't work.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Get off of this. The Penguins were a bottom two team for 3 years running (not counting the lockout), just as the Oilers were. The only difference is that Pittsburgh just was lucky enough to suck at the right time to get Crosby and Malkin, where the Oilers got their firsts in years where there were no superstars ('11, '12). Yes, we got lucky and got McDavid, but Pittsburgh got two generational talents in back to back years, guys who came in and were impact players from day one. Take a look at Edmonton's list - yes, more top 5 picks. But aside from McDavid (and maybe Draisaitl), none of them are superstar players. The only difference between Pittsburgh of the early - mid 2000's and the Oilers of the 2010's, is that the Penguins sucked at the right time to get better players.

2002 - 5th overall (Whitney)
2003 - 1st overall (Fleury)
2004 - 2nd overall (Malkin)
2005 - 1st overall (Crosby)
2006 - 2nd overall (Staal)

2010 - 1st overall (Hall)
2011 - 1st overall (Nuge)
2012 - 1st overall (Yakupov, ie, nothing)
2013 - No top 5 pick (Nurse at 7)
2014 - 3rd overall (Draisaitl)
2015 - 1st overall (McDavid)
2016 - 4th overall (Pulujarvi)

I was just pointing out that the Pens didn't draft 1st overall as much as the Oilers, nor did they draft high as much. You seem a bit defensive about that fact.

Also, the Oilers ended up with 3 star quality players in their drafts (Hall, McDavid, Draisaitl), while the Pens ended up with two (Crosby and Malkin). You make it sound like the Pens hit it out of the park with all 5 picks. Whitney was decent but not great, Fleury's playoff struggles are well documented, and Staal's a good shutdown center who was probably the worst of the players selected around him (could have had Toews, Backstrom, or Kessel instead).

The difference between the two teams is Pittsburgh also drafted a #1D (Letang), a playoff clutch goalie (Murray), a versatile utility winger (Rust) and a complimentary scorer (Guentzel) in the 3rd round. All those guys drafted in the third round were big, big parts of the Pens winning back to back Cups.

The Oilers haven't done nearly as good at drafting those complimentary pieces, and thus, why they are where they are: top heavy with very little to compliment McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: Karitimes

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
RNH has developed just fine and Yakupov would have failed anywhere on account of the fact that he sucks.

I don't subscribe to the idea that those drafts weren't good enough though(See: Devils, New Jersey). The problem then was the same as the problem now, the Oilers aquired their top picks and surrounded them with nothing but complete garbage.

Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins spent years trying to keep the Oilers afloat pretty much single handedly. Of course it didn't work.
RNH is a fine player but i expected more than a 50 point second line center after watching him his rookie year. The guy was oozing skill and creativity back then.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I like Katz as an owner, passionate, has the money there, but just too afraid to burn bridges with the legendary Oilers and doesn't manage the team properly. If they did have it all right they would be somewhere by now.

I've said this in numerous threads, but I will never have hope in the Oilers again.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was just pointing out that the Pens didn't draft 1st overall as much as the Oilers, nor did they draft high as much. You seem a bit defensive about that fact.

Also, the Oilers ended up with 3 star quality players in their drafts (Hall, McDavid, Draisaitl), while the Pens ended up with two (Crosby and Malkin). You make it sound like the Pens hit it out of the park with all 5 picks. Whitney was decent but not great, Fleury's playoff struggles are well documented, and Staal's a good shutdown center who was probably the worst of the players selected around him (could have had Toews, Backstrom, or Kessel instead).

The difference between the two teams is Pittsburgh also drafted a #1D (Letang), a playoff clutch goalie (Murray), a versatile utility winger (Rust) and a complimentary scorer (Guentzel) in the 3rd round. All those guys drafted in the third round were big, big parts of the Pens winning back to back Cups.

The Oilers haven't done nearly as good at drafting those complimentary pieces, and thus, why they are where they are: top heavy with very little to compliment McDavid and Draisaitl.

The Pens didn't draft early as much because of the quality of players they got, and that's my point. You guys had 2 of the best 3 players of their generation fall to your laps in back to back years. Hall and Draisaitl are both clearly in a class below those two. The Pens got 5 good players in 5 consecutive drafts. The Oilers got 2 (Hall and Nuge), then nothing, then a guy who is just coming into his own now, and then our two star players. My only point is that if the Pens hadn't been bad at the wrong time, like Edmonton was, their draft rebuild would have taken longer as well. The only reason I seem defensive is because some Pens fans seem to think that it wasn't pure luck that started them on their path out of the cellar.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I like Katz as an owner, passionate, has the money there, but just too afraid to burn bridges with the legendary Oilers and doesn't manage the team properly. If they did have it all right they would be somewhere by now.

I've said this in numerous threads, but I will never have hope in the Oilers again.
He would be the perfect owner if he would hire the right people and keep his nose out of hockey operations. There were reliable rumours floating around that he vetoed the GM and scouts on the draft floor and told them to pick Yakupov. If it's true, that's the sign of an owner who is overstepping his knowledge base. Not that the next best options have turned out to be world beaters, but the Oilers with Ryan Murray or even Alex Galchenyuk today would have far more flexibility on the trade market, assuming we didn't trade them for beans already or screw up their development.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pens didn't draft early as much because of the quality of players they got, and that's my point. You guys had 2 of the best 3 players of their generation fall to your laps in back to back years. Hall and Draisaitl are both clearly in a class below those two. The Pens got 5 good players in 5 consecutive drafts. The Oilers got 2 (Hall and Nuge), then nothing, then a guy who is just coming into his own now, and then our two star players. My only point is that if the Pens hadn't been bad at the wrong time, like Edmonton was, their draft rebuild would have taken longer as well. The only reason I seem defensive is because some Pens fans seem to think that it wasn't pure luck that started them on their path out of the cellar.

And if the Oilers didn't "luck" into McDavid, they'd be battling Arizona for last place every season. "Luck" only takes you so far if you don't actually surround those guys with talent (ie. just look at the Pens from 2010 to 2015 - they were top heavy, with very little depth and thus, were playoff busts).

My bigger point is you're overlooking the non-first round picks the Pens have developed that have given them the depth to win Cups. If the current Oilers had Letang, Rust, Murray and Guentzel to go along with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, etc., they'd likely be battling for the division title instead of potentially another top 5 pick.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Pens certainly made the most of their top picks and i consider them to be incredibly lucky to get both Crosby and Malkin. Even Whitney was turned into Kunitz who was on the first line and won 3 cups with the pens, and Staal who won a cup with the pens was turned into Dumoulin who has been a top 4 dman the last few years.

For sure, i always thought the oilers rushed alot of their top picks. On a good team, you can get away with playing your young prospects because you can often shelter them behind more veteran players- Crosby had Lemieux, Nolan Patrick has Giroux and so on. But the Oilers kind of just inserted their kids into the lineup and piled expectations on them when they should have been developing more.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For sure, i always thought the oilers rushed alot of their top picks. On a good team, you can get away with playing your young prospects because you can often shelter them behind more veteran players- Crosby had Lemieux, Nolan Patrick has Giroux and so on. But the Oilers kind of just inserted their kids into the lineup and piled expectations on them when they should have been developing more.

Tom Renney was fired because he wanted to shelter the young players lower in the lineup instead of showcasing "the future" like management wanted.

The old boys club is poison.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Tom Renney was fired because he wanted to shelter the young players lower in the lineup instead of showcasing "the future" like management wanted.

The old boys club is poison.

Dang really?? i never knew that. Management should have been crucified for that.There are maby what, 3-4 players who could be thrust into the spotlight and succeed? McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin, maby Stamkos? even Matthews was sheltered for the better part of half of last season.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
You still need solid veterans and proper team leadership. The Oilers coaching and management is God awful and the players they get stink and are overvalued but their weak pro and amateur scouting staff.

The Pens don't win the cup without solid vets like Guerin chipping in. The Bruins don't win without someone like Recchi leading the way in his final year. Look at all the recent past winners and the players that have contributed hugely in their runs. From Veteran goalie's stepping in when the starter is struggling, to a perceived cast off and lazy player that has become clutch in the playoffs. A talented GM builds his roster with every single piece in mind, not just the top order of the lineup.

Peter Chiarelli is the Mcdonalds of Gming, good at first, but you quickly realize what you have gotten yourself into and then you get diarrhea. Watching the Oilers is the equivalent of diarrhea. But unlike godawful bowel problems, at least those go away eventually. The Oilers are a special kind of diarrhea

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Peter Chiarelli is the Mcdonalds of Gming, good at first, but you quickly realize what you have gotten yourself into and then you get diarrhea. Watching the Oilers is the equivalent of diarrhea. But unlike godawful bowel problems, at least those go away eventually. The Oilers are a special kind of diarrhea

In memory of the late great Trailer Park supervisor Jim Lahey, I approve this shit talk. Couldn't have put it any better.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

He is an awful owner, the worst possible because his buddy system trumps winning. Also 'has the money there' is not all that accurate. When he came on board everyone was dizzy becasue he essentially said he was going to build a new rink and instead he hoodwinked the morons at city hall to build the cash cow for him.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am a big fan of Larsson so I am glad the Oilers have him. Whether the Oilers traded Hall or Eberle is not even what matters, what matters is the Oilers should have known coming into this season that last year their wingers were not good enough, their bottom 6 was not good enough, and they did not do anything about it. I am more disappointed with what the Oilers did not do, more so then what they did do. The fact they thought they could be a top team coming into the season even though they had obvious holes even during last season is the biggest issue. If a team cannot recognize its weaknesses it does not matter who they trade.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Oilers have the fourth lowest payroll in the league. Currently 33 million in adjusted cap space. I don't think winning was high on the wish list this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Which size and toughness? Boston has size and overall toughness and they are doing great. Oilers have Lucic, Maroon and Kassian. They are tough but hardly the problem. Kassian is a great bottom 6 forward and Maroon can handle himself well in any line as a go to the net guy with 30 goal potential.

Its not like the fast guys like Cammalleri are doing any better. Bad D and goalie would be the main problems and having Nugent Hopkins injured doesn't help.
Check out the last two Cup champs.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Honestly?

I think this may be a case of "too much, too fast".

Chia got there and right away he was making moves to improve the D, stuff that previous Oilers GMs had said was impossible to pull off.

Then McDavid happened and it's been a whirlwind with Draisatl breaking out on the scene around the same time.

Chia was very aggressive. It had served him well we he got to Boston: he got Chara from us almost right away!!

It didn't work out this time. For a variety of reasons.

But one thing is undeniable. They need better/faster wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad