Post-Game Talk: Home Opener, Habs @ Ott, 7:00 pm on Sportsnet

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Seriously? That's a pretty weak argument to put forward to prop up your boy that has played a whole 2 NHL games. The Sens are actually very good at entering the offensive zone. Right now the only thing going on is that the defense and offense seem to be too spread out from each other for support.

It's a timing thing, not a skill thing, it will come.

The Turris line has been good at entering the zone, the other 3 lines not so much IMO. Though Mac did help the 2nd line with zone entry.

I definitely agree the Senators have gap issues, but I don't believe it is a timing problem, it is a discipline problem.

For the most part the Sens had good gap control in the preseason games which was surprising. However since the regular season started it has been a very noticeable issue.

IMO this occurs when too much focus is put on creating offence which can and likely has lead to poor team defense.

Hopefully Cameron makes some adjustments before Wednesday.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Oh well ,after watching the habs play ,i can safely say there wont be a cup in MTL anytime soon .You cant dive your way to a cup :laugh:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
The Habs are interesting. They drive possession but its mostly around the perimeter of the offensive zone. But they seem to be okay with that approach and it seems to work for them. It's like they know other teams will let them have that space and they take it. They also defend well and have a great goalie. It's not a bad recipe when you add it up - even if they will struggle to score a lot of goals absent of mistakes by the opponent.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Habs are interesting. They drive possession but its mostly around the perimeter of the offensive zone. But they seem to be okay with that approach and it seems to work for them. It's like they know other teams will let them have that space and they take it. They also defend well and have a great goalie. It's not a bad recipe when you add it up - even if they will struggle to score a lot of goals absent of mistakes by the opponent.
Meh ,MTL isnt the team to beat in the east ,i still see the rags and tb as the two best .MTL ,s too relient on their goalie ,and having their players draw penalities.To change momentium swings .Nothing about them should scare anyone tbh :nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I missed this game, so I won't comment on it specifically, but I do think it would be nice to get Wideman and Prince in for a game soon.

Wiercioch hasn't looked great so far, so I imagine he'd be the odd man out, but I'd still prefer Boro out. Cowen and Boro have looked ok together, Cowen actually pretty good, but the duo still struggles to move the puck down the ice, particularly Boro. When Boro is on the ice, 60% of shifts end in the defensive zone. That means one of two things; either they are getting hemmed into there end, or they are having issues entering the O-zone (ie go off side or just turn it over). Imo, the latter is the bigger issue with that pair, and Wideman could potentially do a world of good to help.

The team has been getting killed in the possession battle, and the bottom pair of Cowen and Boro are part of the problem, but I think the lack of second chances is a big issue two; we seem to be one and done in the OZ, where as the opposition will pounce on a loose puck and either get the second chance or start a cycle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

In the playoffs, the good teams will block all the shots from the outside.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People are talking about Zibby like they did at the start of last year.

He'll get better, nothing to worry about.

no it is something to worry about... he does this every year. is he content with being a slow starter and ending up with 45 points every year.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
In the playoffs, the good teams will block all the shots from the outside.

I don't disagree - but they will get there (playoffs) and they will still have Price in net and gamble on winning more 2-1 games than they lose. Not how I'd get my team to play but I can see the logic in it.

If I had the best goalie in the world I'd be far more willing to take chances and trust that my tender is better than the opponent. But I am an accountant that coaches novice kids... I don't pretend to know more than an actual NHL coach.

Oh who am I kidding, of course I do!

pageaus tooth

Jul 14, 2011
WGS84 Zone 13N
I haven't read most of the thread after the game, so hopefully this isn't repetitive but,
3 games in 4 nights with travel time on a back to back and we want to shuffle the deck. I know Montreal was on a back to back as well but whatever. I thought Ottawa looked tired and out of gas for much of the game and were not playing desperate enough (it is only game 3). Playing Matt between the pipes is a trial by fire and although he played well overall, he gave up a really bad goal and had a weird one get by him and that is the difference in the game. Did Montreal drive possession, yes, did they look good doing it, not really. I didn't think they had many good opportunities; I would guess Ottawa had as many or perhaps more.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Right now the only thing going on is that the defense and offense seem to be too spread out from each other for support.

I agree with this. And on the plus side it's something coachable/correctable. They can and should have it straightened out before too long.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Petry out-skated Lazar and checked him from the front... Can you explain why that should be a penalty?

Can you explain why not everybody in the NHL cross check with 2 hands the guy who has the puck? shoulder on shoulder was good until he used his stick... Looked like charging... Marc Denis seemed to think the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxrKUuFwqgo

I'm not an expert but I'm wondering why this is something we don't see very often if it is allowed to cross check with 2 hands on your stick...

Anyway, Sens didn't deserve to win that game as they played like crap. In fact, it was a very boring game.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
watching the replay, i think petry did a great job. He caught up to Lazar and leaned hard and pushed lazar.

I'd be upset if that type of play was called a cross-check against the sens, but I've definitely seen softer calls against us. Two wrongs don't make a right though, Lazar needs to hustle more (I think he was probably gassed).

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

I like this explanation, it describes them pretty well. Exactly the same tack against the Pens tonight. Somewhat successful but very boring hockey to watch. Throw in the diving from Subban and Gallagher and it's pretty much a despicable team. The Habs are the pyrite of the hockey world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad