Post-Game Talk: Home Opener, Habs @ Ott, 7:00 pm on Sportsnet

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
It's becoming clear to me that our defence is just not mobile enough.
This ends up affecting the forwards who have to overcompensate on the back check and then have little momentum through the neutral zone. It also tires out the forwards over the course of the game.
We need to find a way to come out of end more quickly and efficiently. Karlsson can't do it all.

It's gonna be a long season if we keep this defensive corp for the balance of the season. They should start by inserting Wideman.

The days of the big lumbering defenceman are over. I think Murray's decisions with regard to defensive manpower will be his greatest failing. You simply need to watch how fluidly and efficiently the top teams get out of their own end to realize this is our biggest weakness.

This isn't all the result of top team's D-corps, there is more to good puck movement than a mobile D.

The problem is the forwards are not managing the puck well in the O-Zone creating too many odd man rushes, then finding themselves playing D at the end of too many shifts.

This has allowed teams to exit quickly and put more pressure on the Sens D than is necessary.

I have seen on too many occasions a Sen gaining possession in the D Zone only having to resort to the high dump out or use the boards to clear the zone.

These instances are clearly on the forward group which has a tendency to either get stationary (due to fatigue) or slide out of position by following the puck.

The better teams consistently have options to exit the D-Zone, currently when the Senators gain possession there are four other Sens standing still and not getting into position to receive a pass.

While there is no doubt speed and mobility is a definite plus, Ottawa has the best in the game in Karlsson, yet the Sens still struggle exiting the D-Zone with EK and Methot on the ice.

PS in no way does this excuse the play of PW, he has been awful in the three games so far, but his problems haven't been related to mobility.

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
In what bizzaro-world alternate dimension has Wiercioch earned extra ice time this season?

I'm basing this, not on 3 past games, but the offensive poise Wier showed during last year's playoff run, and his standout performance playing D for Canada this summer.

If ice-time were handed out based on recent 3 games, then Ryan & Zibby would never play again.

Wier has an accurate, quick shot from the point...we don't need a cannon...PP is not siege warfare, it's more like mobile tanks & snipers

BigBush*

I'm basing this, not on 3 past games, but the offensive poise Wier showed during last year's playoff run, and his standout performance playing D for Canada this summer.

If ice-time were handed out based on recent 3 games, then Ryan & Zibby would never play again.

Wier has an accurate, quick shot from the point...we don't need a cannon...PP is not siege warfare, it's more like mobile tanks & snipers

I agree. The only thing Weir is good at is the PP. put him on it.

Lol at the standout performance part at the WCs

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

That's totally fair, but I don't think our powerplay has been much of an issue this season... quite the opposite in fact, it's really been one of the positives.

I know that 3 games is way to small a sample size at all, but our PP is scoring at a 30% rate right now, I'd be hesitant to mess around with it until it cools off.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Shampoo, condition, rinse and repeat.

I have no problems with the 1st and 4th line. They work, each does what is expected of their line and they take no shifts off. The 2nd and 3rd line are expected to produce some offense 5 on 5 but they have no sustained pressure. It's one and done and they lose too many puck battles. Most of the time 1 guy skates in alone and loses the puck just inside the o-zone and the other team counter attacks with an odd man rush because our other forwards skate in late past the play.

Also it's early but Ceci isn't having a great start at either end of the ice so it's not all on Wier. Ceci's side was an easy entry point for MTL. He seemed afraid to be beat and gave too much ice at his blue line and along the side boards.

The lack of offense is so apparent from the D position when Karlsson isn't on his game. There is no one else to pick up the slack. It was a weakness last year and it still is. It was hoped that Ceci and Wier would improve 5 on 5 in that area by now. While Wiercioch tries I have yet to see Ceci carry the puck out his zone and up the ice with any authority. The Sens are counting on him so even though he's young and still developing Ceci needs to push that part of his game a lot this year. The Sens need more offensive production from their D and Ceci has the most potential for growth so imo Ceci can make a big jump this year if he trusts his instincts.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I already wrote a novel but man I just logged in to say it again...

That! MOBILITY! on! DEFENSE!

Yikes

I don't want to see Weircioch near the PP, in fact, I want to see him eat nachos in the press-box

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This was already touched on by a couple of posters and I've been harping on this for a while but the biggest issue with this team is speed and mobility. Especially on the back end. But this not only is the D, the forwards are guilty as well. Just re-watch the game, and notice Bobby Ryan. This guy can't clear the zone to save his life. The problem is that he's not the only one. It usually results in us getting hemmed in our zone, or it's a weak dump in the neutral zone which results in an easy entry back by the opposing team. And the repeat. Does this sound familiar? Yeah it should, this was exactly the MacLean years.

Also I've been saying the 2nd and 3rd lines are bad. Not sure what Cameron was thinking, but they have no chemistry and seemingly were built without any thought. At least they were adjusted a bit in the last game and Mac was put with Zib and Ryan. But that's still not good enough. You can't have Zib and Ryan together. Not now, and maybe not any time soon. Both of them together don't work. They worked a bit last year when Hoffman propped them up.

Prince and Wideman should be in. It won't fix all the problems, but it should be a start.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This team as a group was horrible the most obvious and glaring issue was D zone positioning and decisions with the puck. They looked like last year (at the start) not ready to play, no accountability and no idea what to do in the D zone.

Karlsson's attitude and game was not ok he needs to be a leader. He was actually laughing at the end of the game. I had to turn off the t.v.

This team is not going to compete if they dont start playing with some urgency and taking it seriously.

I think its funny how everyone is looking for a scape goat. This was a full team effort and it starts at the top. Neil, Cowen, Weir are not to blame its the top players that did not deliver, it trickles down to them sure but if your best players are the ones getting outplayed no one will be successful.

They look out of shape that is one thing I know will not fly with this coaching staff.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Sens were certainly frustrating to watch last night & hopefully they put that crap behind them. At the moment they seem to be a one line team, I'm not sure if that is because they have loaded their three best forwards on one line but I would like to see them spread the scoring out to try & get other guys going.

On defence Wiercioch continues to struggle & should be replaced on the roster by Wideman asap. Move Boroweicki up to play with Ceci & put Cowen & Wideman together, they were pretty good in the preseason playing together. Ryan, Zibanejad, Pageau, Lazar, Ceci & Smith all have to get going & start to produce some offence.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The Sens were certainly frustrating to watch last night & hopefully they put that crap behind them. At the moment they seem to be a one line team, I'm not sure if that is because they have loaded their three best forwards on one line but I would like to see them spread the scoring out to try & get other guys going.

On defence Wiercioch continues to struggle & should be replaced on the roster by Wideman asap. Move Boroweicki up to play with Ceci & put Cowen & Wideman together, they were pretty good in the preseason playing together. Ryan, Zibanejad, Pageau, Lazar, Ceci & Smith all have to get going & start to produce some offence.

I'm not expecting much offense from Lazar, JGP and Smith. If they do get some, it'll be a bonus.

But I'm definitively expecting more from Michalek, Zib, Mac and Ryan.

Marty9

Sep 26, 2007
I have seen on too many occasions a Sen gaining possession in the D

These instances are clearly on the forward group which has a tendency to either get stationary (due to fatigue) or slide out of position by following the puck.

The better teams consistently have options to exit the D-Zone, currently when the Senators gain possession there are four other Sens standing still and not getting into position to receive a pass.

While there is no doubt speed and mobility is a definite plus, Ottawa has the best in the game in Karlsson, yet the Sens still struggle exiting the D-Zone with EK and Methot on the ice.

Completely agree.

So many passes are made to a player standing still or if the recipient is moving, the pass is in their skates or even behind them so that he has to slow down to receive it. Makes it pretty easy to defend against a team that's not skating.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I don't want to see Weircioch near the PP, in fact, I want to see him eat nachos in the press-box

I'm not saying PW deserves or has earned PP time, but that's about the only place where his footspeed doesn't totally burn him and he can actually be somewhat effective with his offensive game.

Just don't play him in any other scenario :laugh:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm not saying PW deserves or has earned PP time, but that's about the only place where his footspeed doesn't totally burn him and he can actually be somewhat effective with his offensive game.

Just don't play him in any other scenario :laugh:

Haha ok yeah we agree on that. You know I dislike him but I won't go out and insult him, of course I think he's too slow and soft but I've been watching the same thing for 3 years and that's what pisses me off. Some players are put in a situation where they can't succeed. Some people thought Weircioch was good because of our run last year, he's not bad, but he's far from top 4 quality. His footspeed and strenght are major issues in his game and he hasn't been any better with time, it's not like it will change. It has been obvious the first 3 games and he's not the only one, our forwards need to come back and help and not just chip it to center where the other teams go back in and cycle around our big slow dmens. But man, our dmens have to give them the puck quick, they are so slow, the pass doesn't come or it comes when our forwards are already pressed!

It's just a bad game but these things have happened in the other two games too but we scored more.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Finally people are getting it with the mobility on defense thing.

Fact of the matter is, you need 2 things in this league to be successful.

Mobility and speed. We have too many of the same type of guys. Lumbering defenders who play a bit physical, a bit positional and average in everything.

Cowen and Ceci should be only ones to get away with that cause Cowen has elements of his game we desparately need to rekindle and Ceci is young and will improve.

The rest, lol bye.

Methot-Karlsson
XXXX-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman

Try boro with Ceci, imo. Wait it out until Chabot ready.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Next five game are really winnable
Lets build a cushion
We will all whine when we play big west team like ANA LA DAL SAN JOSE

GO SENS GO:yo:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Finally people are getting it with the mobility on defense thing.

Fact of the matter is, you need 2 things in this league to be successful.

Mobility and speed. We have too many of the same type of guys. Lumbering defenders who play a bit physical, a bit positional and average in everything.

Cowen and Ceci should be only ones to get away with that cause Cowen has elements of his game we desparately need to rekindle and Ceci is young and will improve.

The rest, lol bye.

Methot-Karlsson
XXXX-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman

Try boro with Ceci, imo. Wait it out until Chabot ready.

I've been on board this train for a while now. Welcome aboard.

Next five game are really winnable
Lets build a cushion
We will all whine when we play big west team like ANA LA DAL SAN JOSE

GO SENS GO:yo:

Huh? I see 2 games we should win. NJD and PHX. The other will be hard to win. I see the team going 6 and 6 this month.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
A non-Sens fan on the main board in a thread scouting other teams specifically said Ottawa is a skilled team playing a skilled game but it doesn't work because we don't have the speed to go with the skill.

I may have worded that terribly.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Haha ok yeah we agree on that. You know I dislike him but I won't go out and insult him, of course I think he's too slow and soft but I've been watching the same thing for 3 years and that's what pisses me off. Some players are put in a situation where they can't succeed. Some people thought Weircioch was good because of our run last year, he's not bad, but he's far from top 4 quality. His footspeed and strenght are major issues in his game and he hasn't been any better with time, it's not like it will change. It has been obvious the first 3 games and he's not the only one, our forwards need to come back and help and not just chip it to center where the other teams go back in and cycle around our big slow dmens. But man, our dmens have to give them the puck quick, they are so slow, the pass doesn't come or it comes when our forwards are already pressed!

It's just a bad game but these things have happened in the other two games too but we scored more.

Yeah, definitely affects our whole D. And forwards actually moving and getting open. Feels like we either have three forwards wanting to be the trailing man, or all three just waiting at the line. But on the PW front I was ok with the idea of third-pair and PP time, but so far even that looks iffy. I agree with everyone who'd rather get a better look at Wideman for now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Michalek has been great so far. Such a savy and hard-working vet. I'm seeing good speed and sweet hands again!

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I don't think they give up to many odd man rushes. I think they break down to easily in the zone and the forwards can't establish pressure in the other teams zone

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
How about:

Hoffman-Turris-Ryan
Michalek-Zibanajed-Stone
MacArthur-Pageau-Lazar
3 guys that have never been in my kitchen

Might sufficiently balance out the top 2 lines in terms of play-making ability, speed, scoring touch...

Would be nice to see Prince get some reps in on that 4th line on LW with Chiasson and Neil splitting the RW duties at some point this season.

Othello*

I don't think they give up to many odd man rushes. I think they break down to easily in the zone and the forwards can't establish pressure in the other teams zone

We don't have many forwards with the puck skills to enter the offensive zone and keep pressure. Prince should help with that.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
We don't have many forwards with the puck skills to enter the offensive zone and keep pressure. Prince should help with that.

Seriously? That's a pretty weak argument to put forward to prop up your boy that has played a whole 2 NHL games. The Sens are actually very good at entering the offensive zone. Right now the only thing going on is that the defense and offense seem to be too spread out from each other for support.

It's a timing thing, not a skill thing, it will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad