Post-Game Talk: Home Opener, Habs @ Ott, 7:00 pm on Sportsnet

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Petry out-skated Lazar and checked him from the front... Can you explain why that should be a penalty?

Yeah it wasn't a penalty, great play by Petry.

That being said, just came back from the game and here's my rant;

I drove 3 hours to go to the CTC for the home opener and I left pretty disappointed. We got outplayed badly. The boys came out flat. At the midway mark of the game we had 12(!) shots... Let me start my rant with our d-corps. Tonight, EVERY one of them was bad, Ceci being the best one. I'm the biggest Karlsson fanboy, homer, whatever, tonight he was awful, 25 years old, 6th year in the league, you have to be a lot smarter than that, everytime we play the Habs either he's a legend, or there are 5 breakaways against him. Then there's Methot, I think that's one of the worst games I've seen him play, how many times he got caught from behind and got his stick lift? Jesus. Karlsson in our d-zone some games he'll go pick up the puck from players in the corners some games he'll do the statue in front of the net while our center and Methot run around like chickens. Listen here, it's game 3 and I'm not on panic mode, just some things that I see a lot.

You know what the problem is when we play Montreal? We can't get the freaking puck out of our zone. Our big, tall and slow dmens (Cowen, Weir) get the puck and skate in ****ing sand and every speedy MTL forward get them back and lift their sticks. I don't know how many times it happened tonight. I am so freaking tired of watching Weircioch play I just dislike the player so much. When he tries to carry the puck or when he's behind the other team's net :help: his penalty :help: such a bad player, so slowwwwwwwwwww and soooooooooooft. Cowen has been good this season but tonight it was harder for him, not bad but he made some crazy bad reverse plays, did have some good hits where he crushed the diver #11.

Then the referees, man, we played dumb sometimes but I just don't get it. DSP gets Turris by the neck and we're outmaned 3-2 Methot sees it and jumps in to remove Mitchell from the pile, throws no punch, and we get the extra 2? A freaking weak call on Smith when we're already 4 on 5 to give them 1+min of 5 on 3, give me a break. Then same play 10x worse on their 3rd goal, MacArthur enters the zone and is hooked for 2m, no calls, goes the other way, scores... Refs are not the reason we lost, at all, but sometimes it changes the momentum that's all I am saying and tonight was a rough night for them. Gallagher and Subban are two comedians it's ridiculous, Stone crosschecks Gallagher and he dives like he's been shot, I just wish it was him that Ryan destroyed.

On Ryan and Zib, I see a lot of critics on them, but I thought tonight they created some chances on offense... Hoff Turris and Stone were off tonight, Zib had 2-3 good chances from the slot where he could have burried. Ryan made some nice plays also and I thought he was ok for real.

Credit where it's due though, Montreal played a good road game, they kept things simple and I thought we weren't generating any offense. Condon was good when he had to, he's a lot bigger than Tokarski and looks better too, their D group is very good too, Petry since joining them has been a stud. Although, I think it's easier to play with a lead in today's game (except for the Sens) and O'Connor let in a real softie on the 1st one that made us chase the whole game. Make the save on that and score the 2 posts we hit and maybe we win. I think you have to give Andy the home opener, 3 days in 4 night then we don't play till wednesday, guy's a pro, why can't he play? Tired? Oh well, it happens, I was just pretty disappointed on the road back home and I felt like publishing a novel. I repeat, no panic, just a few thoughts. On to Columbus!

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I guess I will allow myself to say it:

I was right, we should have switched up a few players, namely Neil for Prince and Wiercioch for Wideman. Could only have helped us look a little less weak and tired.

Then again, Cameron pretty much ignored Pageau and gave Smith a bunch of minutes so he probably would have done the same to Prince and Wideman in favor of the "vets".

It's kind of maddening when you see the same trends this year as we saw to start last season. I'm not panicking, but I am worried. They haven't really played one solid game so far, either in preseason or regular, and I think we still desperately need a top-4 dman and perhaps a top-6 forward, if we are to compete and make the playoffs.

Gotta hope we somehow look better against Columbus as they are playing similarly bad, but I have my doubts about it.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

I was right, we should have switched up a few players, namely Neil for Prince and Wiercioch for Wideman. Could only have helped us look a little less weak and tired.

Then again, Cameron pretty much ignored Pageau and gave Smith a bunch of minutes so he probably would have done the same to Prince and Wideman in favor of the "vets".

It's kind of maddening when you see the same trends this year as we saw to start last season. I'm not panicking, but I am worried. They haven't really played one solid game so far, either in preseason or regular, and I think we still desperately need a top-4 dman and perhaps a top-6 forward, if we are to compete and make the playoffs.

Gotta hope we somehow look better against Columbus as they are playing similarly bad, but I have my doubts about it.

Neil had a fine game, our failure to score last night was not due to the 4th line and adding a rookie to that line would not have made a difference.

Our best players sucked last night. Adding a couple rookies into the lineup will not make up the difference when your best players are playing like your worst.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Neil hasnt even been bad this year. Wier has been terrible but neil has played like an average 4 liner

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Neil was the only one finishing his checks. Not sure how you could blame him for the rest of the teams "laxy daisle figure skating show" last night. :popcorn:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
This game was like the easy 2 foot putt on the 3rd hole that you missed cuz you were too nonchalant, and choose to use your ball-retriever instead of your regular putter. Hopefully this brain fart is not gonna cost you $ at the 19th hole.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Aaaaannnnd....Wier needs some time on 1st PP unit. Forget the Forward on the point BS. Wier is smart, and can get the puck on net thru traffic

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
does this mean we can play wideman now?

liked pageau and lazar, not really much else to say other than way to make montreal look good guys

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He was never bad. He was just inconsistent at times.

Amazing what a dedicated collection of haters can do to the perception of a player around here.

Yep. Cognitive bias is strong here

I wonder if this game would have gone any differently if that 1st goal hadn't happened.

Totally, with a bit of luck (2 fluke goals for the Habs and 2 posts for the Sens) the Sens could have won that game...

But they played without much energy and out of synch, chemistry was bad tonight. The few times they played with energy and assertion, they looked like they were going to steamroll the Habs.

Habs didn't have a lot of scoring chances, but those 2 fluke goals were killer. And O'connor should have stopped Plekanec, it was obvious he was going to shoot there, because if he tried to deke, he would have probably mishandled the puck as EK was on him.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
This was already stated by someone but its worth saying again. There is no one individual that drags the team down, the whole team structure (except for that top line) looks off. Their transitions are slow. Its like when somes gets the puck in the defensive zone, there is no one in position to pass too, no support heading up ice. It looks like guys are confused as to where they should be. It hasn't been horrible, sometimes plays come together nicely, but so often it looks chaotic. Also the passess have been off consistently and guys are always trying to recover on a ****** pass.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
It's becoming clear to me that our defence is just not mobile enough.
This ends up affecting the forwards who have to overcompensate on the back check and then have little momentum through the neutral zone. It also tires out the forwards over the course of the game.
We need to find a way to come out of end more quickly and efficiently. Karlsson can't do it all.

It's gonna be a long season if we keep this defensive corp for the balance of the season. They should start by inserting Wideman.

The days of the big lumbering defenceman are over. I think Murray's decisions with regard to defensive manpower will be his greatest failing. You simply need to watch how fluidly and efficiently the top teams get out of their own end to realize this is our biggest weakness.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
In what bizzaro-world alternate dimension has Wiercioch earned extra ice time this season?

In a world that believes practice might make perfect. :sarcasm:

PW has been brutual and last night there were no signs of him getting better.

Unfortunately Ceci hasn't playing great either which means every time that pairing hits the ice you can count on a lot of defensive zone time.

Fact is other than a handful of players the team hasn't played well to start the season and even though they are 2 & 1, they could easily be 0 & 3.

IMO Cameron has to make some changes to send a message that their play isn't acceptable and sitting PW would be the first step in that process.

I do feel the switch of Lazar and MacArthur made a positive difference, as well I thought Smith and Chaisson played well.

However if the overall play doesn't improve considerably we could be seeing a repeat of last season's start.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In a world that believes practice might make perfect. :sarcasm:

PW has been brutual and last night there were no signs of him getting better.

Unfortunately Ceci hasn't playing great either which means every time that pairing hits the ice you can count on a lot of defensive zone time.

Fact is other than a handful of players the team hasn't played well to start the season and even though they are 2 & 1, they could easily be 0 & 3.

IMO Cameron has to make some changes to send a message that their play isn't acceptable and sitting PW would be the first step in that process.

I do feel the switch of Lazar and MacArthur made a positive difference, as well I thought Smith and Chaisson played well.

However if the overall play doesn't improve considerably we could be seeing a repeat of last season's start.

Yep, pretty much agree with you across the board here.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
For the record, I also thought Neil played fine and he was far from the problem last night. The 4rth linr was the only line who played good hockey yesterday IMO considering what's expected from them and what they can bring. The only reason I'd like to see Neil out is to see what Prince has in store and how could that change the dynamic of the 4rth line but other than that I don't think he deserves to be scratched, he played fine. I love Smith, really looks good out there.

BigBush*

For the record, I also thought Neil played fine and he was far from the problem last night. The 4rth linr was the only line who played good hockey yesterday IMO considering what's expected from them and what they can bring. The only reason I'd like to see Neil out is to see what Prince has in store and how could that change the dynamic of the 4rth line but other than that I don't think he deserves to be scratched, he played fine. I love Smith, really looks good out there.
I agree. Niels been ok but Prince could really compliment that 4th line well

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I agree. Niels been ok but Prince could really compliment that 4th line well

I don't think we should be expecting more production from our 4th line. We need our 2nd and 3rd lines to create more chances.

I doubt Prince can create a whole lot of opportunities playing 7 minutes a game with Smith and Chiasson.

BigBush*

I don't think we should be expecting more production from our 4th line. We need our 2nd and 3rd lines to create more chances.

I doubt Prince can create a whole lot of opportunities playing 7 minutes a game with Smith and Chiasson.

It's a start though. The good NHL teams no longer have a 4th line just full of checkers.

I just want Prince to get a shot soon because he could be a legit good NHL player. We know what we have in Niel

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly right

The problem is that our 2nd and 3rd lines are not creating much offense

The 4th line was fine last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad