Holloway and Broberg or Zegras and Guhle

Holloway and Broberg or Zegras and Guhle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But having Broberg doesn't change that for a loooooooong time. That's assuming, which most are, he does not crash and burn, aka become Bustberg.

He was drafted as a project with a very high boom bust potential.

I'm not sure who will be available this draft but it's not "unlikely" that we could use our pick for a LD this year that becomes a better defenseman quicker.

None of the players available in that range are likely ready to contribute straight away.

Reactions: Aerchon

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why is Broberg 5 years out exactly? How has this been determined? Is it done the same way we determine what players are going to get on their next contracts, so we know who to trade away?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Why is Broberg 5 years out exactly? How has this been determined? Is it done the same way we determine what players are going to get on their next contracts, so we know who to trade away?

Something like that

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's a pretty good chance that Broberg ends up being the 2nd best LD on the team as early as next season. He'll be moving to the AHL next season and will be one of the first callups between him and Samurokov
I think there is a very low chance Broberg will be our 2nd best left d next season. If he is this team is going to be bad. Broberg is a few years away still. At least another full season.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think there is a very low chance Broberg will be our 2nd best left d next season. If he is this team is going to be bad. Broberg is a few years away still. At least another full season.

If they don't add a top 4 LD (they should), there's a good chance he will be. Unless Samorukov makes the team. I doubt Jones or Lagesson are better than Broberg next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If they don't add a top 4 LD (they should), there's a good chance he will be. Unless Samorukov makes the team. I doubt Jones or Lagesson are better than Broberg next year.
Jones and Lagesson are both currently better than Broberg. Unless Lagesson falls back and Broberg takes a huge step forward, he has a way to go.

Reactions: Aerchon

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Broberg is one of the best skating defenseman I've ever seen; I really hope that they let him work, in the AHL (when he's eligible) on his physical play and eventually as powerplay qb on a second unit. I really hated on Zegras, but he's going to be good; if he tops out as Debrincat-level, that would still be a very valuable asset.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
No. Former. Oil Kings.

Except nowadays there seem to be quite a few decent former Oil Kings in the league (Cozens, Neighbours, Jarry, etc.)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't remember this poll, but I do remember everyone scratching their heads at the Broberg pick when all the USNDT guys were still on the board. Zegras, Boldy, Knight, York, and Caufield.

Cross-referencing where these players went in regards to their projected position, Holloway was drafted more or less where he was supposed to go,, but Guhle was supposed to go top 10 (both are more or less Edmonton products) and he fell past us

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I always love these hindsight thread bumps about drafting.

You can do it with literally any GM. I challenge anyone to give me the name of a GM that you think is good and I’ll give you at least 5 examples of how they are stupid and suck at drafting.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I always love these hindsight thread bumps about drafting.

You can do it with literally any GM. I challenge anyone to give me the name of a GM that you think is good and I’ll give you at least 5 examples of how they are stupid and suck at drafting.
The Oilers have probably the worst drafting in the entire league the last 30 years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No. Former. Oil Kings.

Except nowadays there seem to be quite a few decent former Oil Kings in the league (Cozens, Neighbours, Jarry, etc.)
Cozens was a Lethbridge Hurricane, not an Oil King

The Oilers have probably the worst drafting in the entire league the last 30 years.
Funny enough their defencemen drafting isn't bad, but they absolutely have the worst forward drafting in the NHL over the last three decades.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I’m at the point where I believe it’s a development issue more than a drafting issue. There’s been a laundry list of players the team has picked over the last 15 years in particular that have excelled in junior/Europe after getting drafted but completely fizzle out when they turn pro into the Oilers system.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't remember this poll, but I do remember everyone scratching their heads at the Broberg pick when all the USNDT guys were still on the board. Zegras, Boldy, Knight, York, and Caufield.

Cross-referencing where these players went in regards to their projected position, Holloway was drafted more or less where he was supposed to go,, but Guhle was supposed to go top 10 (both are more or less Edmonton products) and he fell past us

I don't think many people had Guhle top 10.

In fact, if I recall, there was a pretty secure top 13 in that draft. We were picking 14th, and hoping someone like Jarvis or Askorov fell. It was a weird draft in that - nobody fell off. So we had the first pick in the next batch of guys that included both Holloway and Guhle.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it’s more to do with their development then the drafting. I don’t mind them taking shots on project picks like Holloway and Broberg but they need to be able to properly develop these guys and in my opinion they’ve done a pretty poor job with both.
I’m at the point where I believe it’s a development issue more than a drafting issue. There’s been a laundry list of players the team has picked over the last 15 years in particular that have excelled in junior/Europe after getting drafted but completely fizzle out when they turn pro into the Oilers system.
Development certainly plays a part, I don't think anyone would question that. Too often during the dark years they would simply thrust freshly drafted players into the lineup as solutions. It's easy to forget because of how he is now but even Draisatl was drowning early on.

But then I think about Puljujaarvi and how the Oilers got all starry eyed when he fell to them without considering anything else. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but I think the Oilers get a little too laser focused when scouting. Also during those crappy years, the Oilers would frequently draft coke machine Oil Kings that hardly had a prayer of panning out but were in their back yard so....

I don't really know what the Oilers drafting strategy is. They seem to draft for need which can be the wrong approach depending. They very seldom hit on picks past #10 and their prowess after round 1 is downright abysmal. I don't expect Kucherovs and Points from later picks but often they just never even get close to hitting the NHL.

The Oilers should probably look at the likes of Tampa Bay, Colorado, Carolina and Dallas and ape their strategies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think it’s more to do with their development then the drafting. I don’t mind them taking shots on project picks like Holloway and Broberg but they need to be able to properly develop these guys and in my opinion they’ve done a pretty poor job with both.
The constant drafting of players with low hockey sense makes me lean toward drafting.

You can develop skill, defense, skating, etc, but you can't develop hockey sense. You can work with a guy like Broberg all you want, but he's always going to be limited by how poorly he processes the game at the NHL level, for example.

The Oilers always seem to be obsessed with the wrong type of project. They target big, fast players and hope they learn how to play hockey. The projects they should be targeting are guys like Tyson Foerster(my favorite guy in the draft back in 2020). He was ranked near the end of the 1st because he was a guy with an elite shot and top-end hockey sense, but bad skating and questionable defense. Fast forward to today and his skating has improved a ton and he has some of the best defensive metrics in the league to go along with that elite shot(on pace for 20g as a rookie) and hockey sense.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Cozens was a Lethbridge Hurricane, not an Oil King

Funny enough their defencemen drafting isn't bad, but they absolutely have the worst forward drafting in the NHL over the last three decades.

Ya from 2010 to 2019, we drafted 14 dmen who are playing in the NHL this year or who played 100+ games (such as Klefa who retired from injuries), and 18 with at least a game played in the NHL. Those are pretty solid numbers for a 10 year stretch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad