Holloway and Broberg or Zegras and Guhle

Holloway and Broberg or Zegras and Guhle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
People who voted for Zegras and Guhle. Can you please share your mind on why you voted that way?

Zegras is far and away the best prospect in that group, like by far, and is a legit prospect to be an elite offensive player in the league.

Broberg hasn’t played a single Pro game on NA ice, Except for the preseason in the play in and he was absolutely horrible. He’s come a long way in his development but I would still take Zegras right now and it’s not close. People realize Zegras put up over a ppg as a first year in the NCAA? He was fantastic, and was arguably the best player in the WJC.

Holloway and Guhle are pretty much equal until we see how they continue to develop over the next year. Can Guhle start to bring more offense to his Game? Can Holloway produce more in bigger roles this year? Those are questions that would make the difference.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Zegras is far and away the best prospect in that group, like by far, and is a legit prospect to be an elite offensive player in the league.

Broberg hasn’t played a single Pro game on NA ice, Except for the preseason in the play in and he was absolutely horrible. He’s come a long way in his development but I would still take Zegras right now and it’s not close. People realize Zegras put up over a ppg as a first year in the NCAA? He was fantastic, and was arguably the best player in the WJC.

Holloway and Guhle are pretty much equal until we see how they continue to develop over the next year. Can Guhle start to bring more offense to his Game? Can Holloway produce more in bigger roles this year? Those are questions that would make the difference.

The SHL is a better league than the NCAA by a fair margin.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Saw this in the recent thread and just checked out the results out of curiousity and it’s pretty obvious this is an Oiler’s page thread

Reactions: Smartguy

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Saw this in the recent thread and just checked out the results out of curiousity and it’s pretty obvious this is an Oiler’s page thread

I mean, Broberg is playing top pairing minutes in the SHL with 4 points in 5 games to start the season, it makes sense that he's ranked so highly.

This board also really doesn't like Guhle, and that was pre-draft. You'd prefer Zegras and Guhle?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The SHL is a better league than the NCAA by a fair margin.
Where did I say that it wasn’t?

Do people remember that Broberg played limited minutes last year in the SHL? Wasn’t overly productive? Also it isn’t NA ice which makes a difference when it comes to quick decision making, hence why we seen Broberg struggle in the pre-season game, to be expected he probably needs a year in the A.

The only comparable you have for the 2 is last years WJC they both played in. Zegras was arguably the best player in the tournament, if I’m not mistake Broberg played 2nd or bottom pair defensive minutes.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I mean, Broberg is playing top pairing minutes in the SHL with 4 points in 5 games to start the season, it makes sense that he's ranked so highly.

This board also really doesn't like Guhle, and that was pre-draft. You'd prefer Zegras and Guhle?
Personally, I would. For me it probably goes:
Zegras
————
————
Broberg
————
Holloway
Guhle

I wasn’t a fan of the Holloway pick, and While I like Broberg, I think he’s become a bit overrated since the return to play and small sample-size in the SHL. I’ll continue to monitor his play this year but I don’t see the top pairing upside that some do. Holloway is a future 3rd liner in my eyes. Guy can fly and hopefully can bring some physical intensity/pace, but I don’t think his skill/brain combination is there to be a top-6 forward. Guhle is a 5/6 D. Zegras I think though is a stud and really tips the scales. 20/25 + 50/60 for him is realistic I think. So creative and such a good passer.

Reactions: Smartguy

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Where did I say that it wasn’t?

Do people remember that Broberg played limited minutes last year in the SHL? Wasn’t overly productive? Also it isn’t NA ice which makes a difference when it comes to quick decision making, hence why we seen Broberg struggle in the pre-season game, to be expected he probably needs a year in the A.

The only comparable you have for the 2 is last years WJC they both played in. Zegras was arguably the best player in the tournament, if I’m not mistake Broberg played 2nd or bottom pair defensive minutes.

By saying that he hasn't played a single pro game in NA ice is completely unfair considering he's Swedish. And I would rather a prospect play there than in the NCAA. And he isn't playing limited minutes at all right now, but plays 20 mins a game in Sweden and is producing very well.

Regarding Zegras, he's getting severely overrated right now. I liked him in his draft year a lot, (and I still do), but his season was not nearly as impressive as people are making it seem. Using some info from another guys' post, here are some other recent D+1 years from prospects playing in the NCAA:

Alex Newhook: 42P (19G) in 34 GP (top scorer on his team)
Joel Farabee: 36P (17G) in 37 GP
Casey Mittelstadt: 30P (11G) in 34 GP
Clayton Keller: 45P (21G) in 31 GP
Luke Kunin: 38P (22G) in 35 GP
Tage Thompson: 32P (19G) in 34 GP
Dylan Gambrell: 42P (13G) in 38 GP
Joey Anderson: 37P (12G) in 39 GP
Patrick Harper: 37P (13G) in 38 GP
Colin White: 43P (19G) in 37 GP

Zegras had 36 points in 33 games, playing prime offensive minutes. (3rd on his team in points btw). And his WJC point totals were also inflated by playing against bad teams. He had 4 assists against Germany for example, and zero against Finland when the game meant something.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
By saying that he hasn't played a single pro game in NA ice is completely unfair considering he's Swedish. And I would rather a prospect play there than in the NCAA. And he isn't playing limited minutes at all right now, but plays 20 mins a game in Sweden and is producing very well.

Regarding Zegras, he's getting severely overrated right now. I liked him in his draft year a lot, (and I still do), but his season was not nearly as impressive as people are making it seem. Using some info from another guys' post, here are some other recent D+1 years from prospects playing in the NCAA:

Alex Newhook: 42P (19G) in 34 GP (top scorer on his team)
Joel Farabee: 36P (17G) in 37 GP
Casey Mittelstadt: 30P (11G) in 34 GP
Clayton Keller: 45P (21G) in 31 GP
Luke Kunin: 38P (22G) in 35 GP
Tage Thompson: 32P (19G) in 34 GP
Dylan Gambrell: 42P (13G) in 38 GP
Joey Anderson: 37P (12G) in 39 GP
Patrick Harper: 37P (13G) in 38 GP
Colin White: 43P (19G) in 37 GP

Zegras had 36 points in 33 games, playing prime offensive minutes. (3rd on his team in points btw). And his WJC point totals were also inflated by playing against bad teams. He had 4 assists against Germany for example, and zero against Finland when the game meant something.

I wasn’t even talking Zegras’ point totals in the WJC, he was just a much better player playing in a bigger role on his team.

People have completely flipped on Broberg on this board from everyone sayings he’s trash last year, which was not deserved, to saying he’s the best this year after only a few SHL games and a decent camp. I think people still need to temper expectations for him. people are way overrating Zegras? People are way over rating Broberg now. If this poll is on any other forum other than the Oilers Zegras/Guhle wins in a landslide

You have to consider also that the transition for a FWD to the NHL is also much easier.

Time will tell but I would be surprised if in 3 years we aren’t all cursing not taking Zegras

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I have to agree that Zegras is being somewhat overrated in this thread and Broberg somewhat underrated ! Holland has appeared to have purposely avoided taking American players and with good reason....because they tend to want to go back to the States and play so Holland has turned his attention to Canadian and Euro players. the Oilers also still badly needed a talented, big and great skating d-man with a chance at least of becoming a #1 d-men, so he took him. what a great problem to have in the very near future....a D that consists of some combo of Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Jones, Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov!! o_O

Reactions: Oilhawks

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Zegras likely becomes a 20g/40p forward

Broberg is developing nicely into what I'd say is at minimum a top 4 shutdown dman with his ceiling being someone like OEL

Holloway looks to be a 3rd liner with the outside chance at a Brandon Saad type complimentary forward.

Guhle is where my opinion likely strays from everyone else's. I think he'll be a good one, he has top 4 shutdown defenseman written all over him and if he can improve his puck skills and his game evolves with that I wouldn't put it past him to be a Suter/Weber clone.

From my perspective both defensemen have similar floors and ceilings, but the difference is Zegras will be significantly more valuable but Holloway fits our needs better. It's close but I'd say Zegras/Guhle.

Realistically I would've traded back this year or moved the pick.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
i'm actually quite happy with the Broberg pick so i picked Holloway/Broberg ! and people are missing the point with Holloway....maybe he won't be as offensively gifted as some chosen after him but he fills a big future need for a guy who's tough to play against, and after the playoff sh!t show against the Hawks this was evident, but still has great size and speed and potential to be a great NHL point producer ! THAT is why he was taken and he certainly wasn't a reach at #14 as he was ranked in that general area. o_O

Oilers really need hard working defence first forwards. Relieable forwards.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
^and that's what a lot of Oiler fans don't understand when they claim you should just arbitrarily take the so called "BPA". and they'll be the first ones to whine about us not taking Dawson Mercer instead. but they should have a pretty good one now in Holloway !

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I wasn’t even talking Zegras’ point totals in the WJC, he was just a much better player playing in a bigger role on his team.

People have completely flipped on Broberg on this board from everyone sayings he’s trash last year, which was not deserved, to saying he’s the best this year after only a few SHL games and a decent camp. I think people still need to temper expectations for him. people are way overrating Zegras? People are way over rating Broberg now. If this poll is on any other forum other than the Oilers Zegras/Guhle wins in a landslide

You have to consider also that the transition for a FWD to the NHL is also much easier.

Time will tell but I would be surprised if in 3 years we aren’t all cursing not taking Zegras

No offence, but did you even watch the WJC? Zegras was on the US 4th line and Broberg was Sweden’s top shutdown D.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Thought this would be a fun bump.

Obviously all of these guys are still unproven but public opinion on Holloway has probably changed.
Holloway has faired better than anyone thought at the NCAA level, at least what I thought, which is good to see. Broberg is still a question mark till you see what you have in NA when he comes over. Zegras is in the NHL, and dominated the AHL to start his pro career, to me he’s still the best player in that group, I think he might be on the taxi squad though as his AHL success hasn’t yet translated, but the ducks are awful also.

So regardless still to early to tell, is Guhle even playing in the AHL still?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think a pro Holland poster looking for a way to hedge their bets. Or maybe a pro Broberg fan is looking to polish that turd nice and shiny. Not that he is a turd but I will again reiterate he was a poor pick with Zegras still on the board among others.

Nobody likes Ghule except Stauffer. There were a dozen other choices instead of Holloway but with how good Holloway is doing no one can even be mildly perturbed at that pick.

The correct answer currently and likely moving forward is Zegras and Holloway. With RNH likely gonzo this offseason having two ultra blue chip forwards is still the better choice.

I think Nurse, Russell, Jones, Samourukov plus maybe Klefbom and one or two long shots is sufficient LD depth. Broberg is 2 years minimum, from start of this season, from being more than a cup of coffee.

Especially with his defensive deficiencies likely 5 years away from being any kind of impact player. Which is normal and still awesome. Nurse is still struggling at times and just had a big boost in his development.

Broberg is doing well. Just not so well that anyone should be pencil ing him into the lineup as an impact player for a few years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think a pro Holland poster looking for a way to hedge their bets. Or maybe a pro Broberg fan is looking to polish that turd nice and shiny. Not that he is a turd but I will again reiterate he was a poor pick with Zegras still on the board among others.

Nobody likes Ghule except Stauffer. There were a dozen other choices instead of Holloway but with how good Holloway is doing no one can even be mildly perturbed at that pick.

The correct answer currently and likely moving forward is Zegras and Holloway. With RNH likely gonzo this offseason having two ultra blue chip forwards is still the better choice.

I think Nurse, Russell, Jones, Samourukov plus maybe Klefbom and one or two long shots is sufficient LD depth. Broberg is 2 years minimum, from start of this season, from being more than a cup of coffee.

6XBSd.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lol. Apologies. My point is that those are decent depth in the position as it matters in regards to Broberg.

Our LD position needs a boost now not in 5 years when Broberg may finally be good enough to help the team in a top 4 role.

Better?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol. Apologies. My point is that those are decent depth in the position as it matters in regards to Broberg.

Our LD position needs a boost now not in 5 years when Broberg may finally be good enough to help the team in a top 4 role.

Better?

Nurse + garbage and Mr. Glass is not decent LD depth.

It's pretty poor.

Jones is a trainwreck right now, Lagesson I'd say has been better than him. Kris Russell should be playing as a no.7.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Better?

There's a pretty good chance that Broberg ends up being the 2nd best LD on the team as early as next season. He'll be moving to the AHL next season and will be one of the first callups between him and Samurokov

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nurse + garbage and Mr. Glass is not decent LD depth.

It's pretty poor.

Jones is a trainwreck right now, Lagesson I'd say has been better than him. Kris Russell should be playing as a no.7.

But having Broberg doesn't change that for a loooooooong time. That's assuming, which most are, he does not crash and burn, aka become Bustberg.

He was drafted as a project with a very high boom bust potential.

I'm not sure who will be available this draft but it's not "unlikely" that we could use our pick for a LD this year that becomes a better defenseman quicker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad