Holland's days numbered or un-numbered?

MadSnowman42

Jul 23, 2015
I dunno, just reading a post from another thread that says it's both 24 calender days and 10 regular season games they have to wait... so that puts it to Sunday?

... or maybe after the game on Saturday?
That is the timeframe a player has to stay on LTIR. After a player is placed on LTIR, 24 calendar days and 10 regular season games have to pass before said player is allowed to play again. There is no waiting period before a player may be placed on LTIR.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Looks like Holland is the sacrificial lamb at the moment.

No way he gets waived, it would be a stupid senseless move.

There are quite a few players I would put further ahead in line for the exit.

Arcobello?!?! He should be first! Followed by Marancin (I know he is defence but still). Then Mathias and Grabner are no all-stars right now either.

Don't be so quick to write off Holland. Babcock may have sat him to send a message that he needs to improve. There may be some other players Babcock doesn't even feel it worthwhile to send a message to. If Holland was going to be moved, they wouldn't have scratched him. They could have played him and possibly traded him for any kind of pick.

Arcobello/Marancin have to go, in my opinion. They were given 10 games and they are both brutal turnover machines. There is the Corrado kid that shoudl get his ice time and if not Loov/Percy. Leivo/Brown/Panik can easily take over for Arcobello.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Has the body and tools to be a very effective player in the league. Always seems disinterested tho. He never plays with an edge, never really uses his big frame.

Also doesn't have the greatest hands. It just seems like he doesn't care.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Has the body and tools to be a very effective player in the league. Always seems disinterested tho. He never plays with an edge, never really uses his big frame.

Also doesn't have the greatest hands. It just seems like he doesn't care.

Panik and him both are the exact same. They look like they could have IT, but never use it or show it with any consistency.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Babcock hints at first significant roster shake-up, veterans' jobs in doubt

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:06a ET
It looks like the first major change of the season is about to hit the Toronto roster. Mike Babcock was heralded as a coach who would shake things up for the Leafs, and now that the team has just one win in its first eight games, Babcock hinted he is about to do just that.

The biggest change seems like it will involve hockey journeyman Byron Froese and Leafs veteran Peter Holland. Froese is a long-time veteran of the ECHL and AHL after he was selected in the fourth round of the 2009 NHL Draft. He has two NHL games on his resume -- both of which came with the Leafs this season.

Meanwhile, Peter Holland is in his third year with the Leafs, and Mike Babcock does not seem to be his biggest fan after questioning Holland's compete level multiple times. Because Froese and Holland are both centers, any time Froese spends in the lineup comes at the possible expense of Holland's ice time. Froese saw 16:06 of ice time on Monday while Holland was on the ice for just 12:02. The news did not get better for Holland following the loss to Arizona Monday night, as Babcock jumped to praise Froese.

"The positive in tonight's game to me is 56 [Froese's jersey number] -- real simple," Babcock told reporters after the game. "Just faceoffs alone and compete alone. You're going to be competitive if you're going to be here. That's it. It's that simple."

The Leafs would have to put Holland on waivers to send him down to the AHL, but with the Leafs owning a 1-5-2 record, that move is getting more likely by the day.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/...yron-froese-peter-holland-roster-moves-102715

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Where did you see that? I'm still hunting around...

The Maple Leafs quietly called up Casey Bailey from the Marlies late Tuesday, demoting Byron Froese in a move they did not officially announce to the media.

That's because it will be reversed after the anticipated placing of Nathan Horton on long term IR, according to a Sportsnet report. As the rules are constructed, the Leafs will get maximum benefit from placing Horton on LTIR if they're as close to the $71.4 million US salary cap ceiling as possible when the transaction is completed.

Bailey makes $912,500 and Froese $575,000, the difference of which puts the Leafs close to the cap ceiling and means most of Horton's $5.3 million can be used to go over it the rest of the year. Horton has a back injury, likely to end his career unless there's a dramatic recovery for the 30-year-old.

Defenceman Stephane Robidas (knee), forward Tyler Bozak (lower body), and defenceman Jake Gardiner (upper body) are also on injured reserve, though Bozak and Gardiner are practicing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/27/leafs-casey-bailey-callup-a-salary-cap-case

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This is why we got Lamoriello. I've said it a lot over the last few weeks but if there's anyone that can make a trade despite a cold market, it's him.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The Maple Leafs quietly called up Casey Bailey from the Marlies late Tuesday, demoting Byron Froese in a move they did not officially announce to the media.

That's because it will be reversed after the anticipated placing of Nathan Horton on long term IR, according to a Sportsnet report. As the rules are constructed, the Leafs will get maximum benefit from placing Horton on LTIR if they're as close to the $71.4 million US salary cap ceiling as possible when the transaction is completed.

Bailey makes $912,500 and Froese $575,000, the difference of which puts the Leafs close to the cap ceiling and means most of Horton's $5.3 million can be used to go over it the rest of the year. Horton has a back injury, likely to end his career unless there's a dramatic recovery for the 30-year-old.

Defenceman Stephane Robidas (knee), forward Tyler Bozak (lower body), and defenceman Jake Gardiner (upper body) are also on injured reserve, though Bozak and Gardiner are practicing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/27/leafs-casey-bailey-callup-a-salary-cap-case

This team does nothing quietly :laugh:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Looks like Holland is the sacrificial lamb at the moment.

No way he gets waived, it would be a stupid senseless move.

There are quite a few players I would put further ahead in line for the exit.

Arcobello?!?! He should be first! Followed by Marancin (I know he is defence but still). Then Mathias and Grabner are no all-stars right now either.

Don't be so quick to write off Holland. Babcock may have sat him to send a message that he needs to improve. There may be some other players Babcock doesn't even feel it worthwhile to send a message to. If Holland was going to be moved, they wouldn't have scratched him. They could have played him and possibly traded him for any kind of pick.

Arcobello/Marancin have to go, in my opinion. They were given 10 games and they are both brutal turnover machines. There is the Corrado kid that shoudl get his ice time and if not Loov/Percy. Leivo/Brown/Panik can easily take over for Arcobello.

That's correct, try to correct the ones you care about in the long run. The short term players, meh, play them hope someone likes what they see & trade them.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Babcock would rather play a no frills player like Frose who works hard
rather then someone with good skills who gives a half ass effort

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
In the end, it seems that Babcock is playing his last motivation card on the talented Holland here. When I've seen this done before the coach sends the message (done), the player shows up early for practices etc., the coach still makes him sit and stew for a week or two as a lesser talent takes his spot. When the player gets his next opportunity the coach plays the daylights out of him. If after time the player slips back to his old patterns, the player is buried never to return.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
He needs to simplify his thinking of the system and start showing some effort. Easy solution to this: talk to the coaches and show up early to practice and leave later to put in some 1on1 time with the coaches and the system. But old habits die hard I guess.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Holland is a tweener that needs to step up bigger either offensively or defensively for Babs.

His size is what gives him chances and benefit of the doubt. Not to mention he can really finish in close and is capable of more offence.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
What's Holland's value right now? He's a youngish 4th line center for most contending teams right now. Do we package him with Polak and hope for a 2nd rounder?

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
That is the timeframe a player has to stay on LTIR. After a player is placed on LTIR, 24 calendar days and 10 regular season games have to pass before said player is allowed to play again. There is no waiting period before a player may be placed on LTIR.

I said never mind!! Thanks. :)

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
What's Holland's value right now? He's a youngish 4th line center for most contending teams right now. Do we package him with Polak and hope for a 2nd rounder?

There would have to be interest in the 2 even it's not in a package deal. Package the 2 in a box and ship them off to Edmonton in return for the skates of Paul Coffey :nod:

They both hold value in reality, may not be a pretty return but it's still a return if they're deemed non-serviceable to Babcock.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Doesn't look good for him
Froese seems to be in the good books
Kind of suprised....

I'm not shocked. Anaheim soured on his quickly. Never showed even to be a consistent top 6 forward here.

If we could get a 3rd or 4th i'd cut our losses take the pick and bring up a Panik.

He seemed like a filler 3C type...

Yes, a 4th would be a nice return for Jesse Blacker, a 3rd and 7th that we moved for Holland? Or, did the 3rd turn out to be a 2nd?

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Before everyone gives up on Jonathon Bernier - remember this thread.

But Bernier is a tender. I don't really remember to many instances of tenders with injury prone groins just suddenly playing well.

Holland is playing much better though.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I've been extremely impressed with Holland since he came back. He's responded very well. I was hoping this season he could establish himself as a legit #3C, if he keeps this up, he may still be able to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad