Rumor: Holland won't be big game hunting on defense.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
"However Holland tries to readjust, what’s clear is that he won’t be signing a player like Dougie Hamilton. Holland said the Oilers won’t be going big-game hunting on the back end. Holland talked about having to make sure that he keeps in mind the future contracts for players like Darnell Nurse, Ethan Bear, Jesse Puljujarvi and others.
“Internally, I have to make sure that I have some money set aside that is going to come off the books.” The Oilers will not be looking to spend $7 or $8 million for a defenseman. Holland did acknowledge that the team has looked into the trade market and could potential improve the right side of his defense via trade instead of through free agency. He wouldn’t give any sort of indication (not that he can anyways) as to whom he might targeting."

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-news-rumors-larsson-hyman-smith-barrie/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's awkward to have a right side D group with no good defenders but the best thing the Oilers can do is take their lumps and re-assess at the deadline, likely picking up a shutdown RD at that point.

Right now the RD pickings making it to UFA are going to be very overpriced, it's such a slim market. The Oilers will make the playoffs without addressing that, and this gives them a chance to see more of what Bear and Bouchard can do. Some teams will be selling off in February and they'll get what they need then.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I hear Marc Edouard Vlasic is available though, Holland should be all over that!

Look Oilers, it's gonna take a lot to get Vlasic since he's a vital proponent of our defense, a stellar name-brand defensive stalwart, and also because the Sharks really don't want to be helping a Division rival, but OK fine fine......we'll give you Vlasic (15% retained) for a 5th 2021.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How can he? He just picked up an awful defenseman on a horrible contract that just ate up a good chunk of his cap.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I have to admit its hard watching the circus in Edmonton. Wasting these great players in their prime again...they have the pcs just need a few more of the RIGHT pcs but they struggle to find them . Ia it really that hard ?? They need a 1B GOLAIE. lots out there . Andersen is probably the best fit they need forward depth on the wing . They could of had McCann from pitt for next to nothing. They need some help on the backend so they let their best defensive D walk. They take assets away for DK only to have suter become available days later .. at this point the Seattle team has a better backend and goaltending then the Oilers...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They went big game hunting on defence earlier and snagged Keith.

Reactions: kp61c

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
I have to admit its hard watching the circus in Edmonton. Wasting these great players in their prime again...they have the pcs just need a few more of the RIGHT pcs but they struggle to find them . Ia it really that hard ?? They need a 1B GOLAIE. lots out there . Andersen is probably the best fit they need forward depth on the wing . They could of had McCann from pitt for next to nothing. They need some help on the backend so they let their best defensive D walk. They take assets away for DK only to have suter become available days later .. at this point the Seattle team has a better backend and goaltending then the Oilers...
Not like we really let him walk. He chose to leave.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
He can't go big game hunting, players don't want to play in Canada:sarcasm:

Sorry I had to derail this.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
"However Holland tries to readjust, what’s clear is that he won’t be signing a player like Dougie Hamilton. Holland said the Oilers won’t be going big-game hunting on the back end. Holland talked about having to make sure that he keeps in mind the future contracts for players like Darnell Nurse, Ethan Bear, Jesse Puljujarvi and others.
“Internally, I have to make sure that I have some money set aside that is going to come off the books.” The Oilers will not be looking to spend $7 or $8 million for a defenseman. Holland did acknowledge that the team has looked into the trade market and could potential improve the right side of his defense via trade instead of through free agency. He wouldn’t give any sort of indication (not that he can anyways) as to whom he might targeting."

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-news-rumors-larsson-hyman-smith-barrie/

He said, while blinking with one eye for the entire conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad