Rumor: Holland won't be big game hunting on defense.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Is Klef returning next season? He and Nurse should be able to manage with Keith, if so.

They still could use another defensive D-man to replace the loss of Larsson and don't need to go after Dougie.

Kenny just can't go nuts with Barrie if he is re-up'd.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers employed media has dropped the name Hakanpaa a few times on radio now. I think Holland is looking at just someone like that or Hamonic now to fill the last RD spot.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Is Klef returning next season? He and Nurse should be able to manage with Keith, if so.

They still could use another defensive D-man to replace the loss of Larsson and don't need to go after Dougie.

Kenny just can't go nuts with Barrie if he is re-up'd.

Klefbom's return to ever playing hockey is in serious doubt.

A deal with the Kraken for one of their many D might be a smart move, depending on the return.

Risto isn't going to fill Larsson's skates in any way. Like... ANY WAY.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Not like we really let him walk. He chose to leave.
Do you not think there were reasons why he chose to walk??? Just got up one day and said not matter what the Oilers offer me iam leaving ??? The falls on the Oilers management again

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Do you not think there were reasons why he chose to walk??? Just got up one day and said not matter what the Oilers offer me iam leaving ??? The falls on the Oilers management again
Oilers management how? It's already been said he was frustrated with always being linked to the "1 for 1 trade" and basically living under Taylor halls shadow in Edmonton.

Not to mention his father who lived in Sweden died suddenly in Edmonton while visiting him, I'm sure that was a huge part of it as well in needing to get away from Edmonton as he took his father's passing quite hard

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So in other words, the Oilers will still have many of the same issues they had last year as well.

Gotcha.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
as he explained, it just makes sense because of our future cap layout. Nurse is our #1 D, and our team has to focus on forwards and depth.

And FYI, how many teams sign top pairing Dmen as UFA outsiders. It is very, very few, and the Oilers have actually done that before.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
As a Red Wings slappie, this is Holland to a T. Scared to the core to make a team better in offseason, then sacrifices the teams future when panicked. His success in Detroit had nothing to do with him. If the Oilers don’t make the Conf finals this season, I’d suspect he would be on the hot seat. Super happy that he’s out of Detroit.

PS- John Scott is available

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
RD Justin Schultz (4 mil) and Ld Michal Kempny (2.5 mil) both in the last year of their contracts for Edmonton's 2023 3rd round pick.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Edler would be a good pick up for the Oil. Can switch btwn the 2-3rd pairing easily.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Next summer a top defenceman or goaltender coming to Edmonton. Home of the Elks

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Big name defenceman won’t be choosing Edmonton as a destination anyways, so it’s a moot point
people keep saying this but edmonton has been able to sign UFAs (e.g., schultz, lucic, sekera, barrie). i honestly wished UFAs didn't choose edmonton, the oilers would probably be well off

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Oilers management how? It's already been said he was frustrated with always being linked to the "1 for 1 trade" and basically living under Taylor halls shadow in Edmonton.

Not to mention his father who lived in Sweden died suddenly in Edmonton while visiting him, I'm sure that was a huge part of it as well in needing to get away from Edmonton as he took his father's passing quite hard
Hmmm well there are many examples..ill give you the best and easiest one n Adam Larsson has been there a while now . From the gloom of Taylor hall aftermath to playing with the best player of this generation.. he has watched the Oilers constantly spin their wheels. These same issues theboioers had 3 years ago z guess what they still have... you think the players d9nt see what we do ??? How long before mcdavid has had enough? Thats on management not Larsson for wanting out .

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I see Oilers. Fans are still hung up on Holland taking keith and not getting chicago to eat 50% of his salary lol. Edmonton gave up at best a 5 or 6th defenseman and a 3rd round conditional pick in next year's draft for a 3x stanley cup champ 2x Norris trophy winner gold winner conn Smythe winner a d future hall of fame 1st ballot who is in great physical condition can still. Skate and play and brings tons of experience and leadership.

Holland understood the landscape of the expansion draft free agency and his teams resigning priorities.

Bottom line is this you need veteran leadership and a stockpile of assets to bring up in order to balance your salary cap and ability to make trades for a star player . The team lacks cap space to make a major free agent b signing and assets in their farm league to replenish.

This might upset edmonton fans but it's a honest fact you need to realize paying McDavid and drai those salaries is a choice between filling seats and doing bridge deals with those players to allow more salary to be used 5o surround them with more talent.
YOU CANT pay them 10 plus million each and expect to see edmonton build a potential stanley cup contender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad