Holland Extended 4 Years

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Holland has the unbelievable gall to extend Cleary, who is in severe decline, extremely fragile, and performed the worst of any player on the team last season, to an extension whilst telling Alfredsson, a future hall-of-famer who co-led the team in points last season while providing vital leadership, that he should not return unless he's absolutely sure he can remain healthy. That is a disgrace in every sense of the word. Utterly ridiculous.

This organization is a train wreck, and that starts with our utterly foolish general manager.

Read the situation a little more, pretty clear Alfredsson has the pride in himself to not sign that deal, might be that he has already banked ridiculous sums of money. More likely because that is the kind of guy Daniel Alfredsson is, but it is quite clear both sides want to see how the back feels. Alfie is the one that is causing the holding pattern there at least according to virtually every report he and his agent have a lot of say on why that deal isn't already being pushed through.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Read the situation a little more, pretty clear Alfredsson has the pride in himself to not sign that deal, might be that he has already banked ridiculous sums of money. More likely because that is the kind of guy Daniel Alfredsson is, but it is quite clear both sides want to see how the back feels. Alfie is the one that is causing the holding pattern there at least according to virtually every report he and his agent have a lot of say on why that deal isn't already being pushed through.

I wish Cleary was "that kind of guy". He has no problem taking our money, and giving us nothing in return.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

It started with Holland and Babcock, not with Alfredsson.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It started with Holland and Babcock, not with Alfredsson.

It's been stated multiple times Alfredsson is the one who is making the decision on whether or not he signs another contract, not Holland or Babcock.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Holland's list of head scratchers is growing pretty quickly. Not sure how bad it will be with 4 more years

It won't be bad.

His headscratchers have mostly arisen when his plan A, which was a good plan, got derailed and he had to think on the fly. His disastrous 2012 FA period happened because he struck out on Suter after sinking most of his time and energy trying to land him. His re-signing Quincey this year happened because he put an inordinate amount of time into Boyle and Niskanen and was caught needing a top 4 D of any variety because he didn't want to go into the year with an all-rookie pairing as his top choice.

Holland HAS proven that he's terrible when he's forced to scramble because his first decision gets derailed by another team landing the player he wants.

However, the rebuild with the kids isn't a spur of the moment thing. Since 2011, they've known to remain competitive long term, they'd have to draft well and develop from within. When Holland has the ability to ponder his moves and set the team's course, he does exceptionally well. It's when circumstances force him into reactionary moves that he starts falling apart.

But please, for fun, list his headscratcher moves. I don't think he's been as bad as what people make him out to be. Certainly there have been some very questionable moves... but a good amount of those questionable moves are more questionable by hindsight than they are in the moment they were made.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It won't be bad.

His headscratchers have mostly arisen when his plan A, which was a good plan, got derailed and he had to think on the fly. His disastrous 2012 FA period happened because he struck out on Suter after sinking most of his time and energy trying to land him. His re-signing Quincey this year happened because he put an inordinate amount of time into Boyle and Niskanen and was caught needing a top 4 D of any variety because he didn't want to go into the year with an all-rookie pairing as his top choice.

Holland HAS proven that he's terrible when he's forced to scramble because his first decision gets derailed by another team landing the player he wants.

However, the rebuild with the kids isn't a spur of the moment thing. Since 2011, they've known to remain competitive long term, they'd have to draft well and develop from within. When Holland has the ability to ponder his moves and set the team's course, he does exceptionally well. It's when circumstances force him into reactionary moves that he starts falling apart.

But please, for fun, list his headscratcher moves. I don't think he's been as bad as what people make him out to be. Certainly there have been some very questionable moves... but a good amount of those questionable moves are more questionable by hindsight than they are in the moment they were made.

the problem is the 'plan A', isn't likely going to change in the future either.

sproul, ouellet, smith or whoever aren't going to develop into #1 defenseman. we don't have anything close to franchise center in pipeline. we hopefully have 2C in either larkin/sheahan.

FAs aren't suddenly going to want to come here.

he's not suddenly going to be making awesome and awesome trades after another even if we somehow had the assets to get franchise center and/or dman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His headscratchers have mostly arisen when his plan A, which was a good plan, got derailed and he had to think on the fly. His disastrous 2012 FA period happened because he struck out on Suter after sinking most of his time and energy trying to land him.

Which is a huge part of being a general manager. Things don't always go the way you expect. As a matter of fact, most times they don't. Have to make good decisions under pressure. I would rank "ability to think well on the fly" pretty high in skills to have to be successful as a GM.

Holland has failed there. Panics and goes with what he knows.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

sproul, ouellet, smith or whoever aren't going to develop into #1 defenseman. we don't have anything close to franchise center in pipeline. we hopefully have 2C in either larkin/sheahan.

he's not suddenly going to be making awesome and awesome trades after another even if we somehow had the assets to get franchise center and/or dman.

1) And nobody thought that Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk would turn out to be two elite Cs, that Nick Kronwall would be a top pairing D, that Gus Nyquist would actually have the ceiling of being a top line guy, etc. You don't plan on getting a "franchise guy" if you're a team like Detroit and you're not getting top 3 picks where those guys go. You concentrate on getting good players to develop to become something like that.

Plus, even though time goes by fast, we still have three years of having two elite Cs in the NHL right now. Right at this second, we don't necessarily need a franchise C in the system. (Yes, it is an organizational need and one that the organization is trying to address. I'm not saying that we're not going to need one, but we don't have to necessarily get one tomorrow because he'd simply be sitting in the AHL for a couple of years anyway).

2) FAs aren't going to suddenly not want to come here either. The Wings had specific needs and specific targets that picked other teams for reasons beyond hockey (Suter, family/money; Boyle, MSL; Niskanen, former coach). They also landed Stephen Weiss and Daniel Alfredsson over teams with better shots at the title and more/similar money. What Holland and co say is true. Back before the cap, you did have only about eight teams that were serious contenders to sign the top players. Now, all 30 teams potentially have the resources and needs to be a realistic suitor for a free agent.

3) If we had the assets to acquire a young franchise D man, Ken Holland would most likely make the trade. But, the Wings don't have those assets and are facing the reality of their core leaving in the next five years. What good does it do the team to acquire a flawed top pairing D now if they clear out their NHL-ready prospects to do it and they're left scrambling for talent in 2017 when Datsyuk hangs up his skates, Zetterberg is likely in full-on decline, and the top pairing D they acquired with the kids they traded is gone?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
1)And nobody thought that Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk would turn out to be two elite Cs, that Nick Kronwall would be a top pairing D, that Gus Nyquist would actually have the ceiling of being a top line guy, etc. You don't plan on getting a "franchise guy" if you're a team like Detroit and you're not getting top 3 picks where those guys go. You concentrate on getting good players to develop to become something like that.
This has been said ad naseum. Yes, you aren't going to get blue chip talent where they draft but you can't rely on catching lightning in a bottle. People need to start realizing ending up with players like Zetterberg and Datsyuk, relative to where they were drafted, is a rare occurence. A rare occurence.

Hope only gets you so far, at some point you have to put in some work. In this case it's FA and trades. All you hear around here is how stacked Detroit's "pipeline" is. Well, for someone as good as Holland it shouldn't be that difficult to trade some of them to get someone at a position of need, yea? Ah, but we run into a problem. The "pipeline" isn't as magical as most think it is.

It is what it is, but when you start handing out "gentleman contracts" that's where I draw the line. That's unprofessional. And there isn't any excuse in the world that can right that wrong.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

It's never going to be that easy, to know you have a franchise center, franchise d-man and franchise goalie both on the team and in the pipeline. Only time will tell, but I think we have enough potential on defense that it's possible one develops into a good #1 in the next 3-4 years. Maybe not a Lidstrom, but a Kronwall replacement. Mrazek looks good in net. One of Nosek, Larkin, Sheahan, Athanasiou(if he plays C) could develop into a good #1 Center, maybe not a PPG one, but with the wingers we are likely to have maybe we don't need our centers to be superstars? Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, imo if you can have a #1 center that is Selke-level defensively and puts up a decent number of points you've come a long way. Doesn't have to be a Crosby or 3 Selke's in a row along with 90+ points good.

And the freakout about FAs has to stop. They're not an entity, they're individuals. This summer, the specific individuals we targeted wanted to go to other destinations for personal reasons. Doesn't mean that will always continue, doesn't mean it can't change if we have 1 or 2 good seasons where we prove we're not in a straight downward slope.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The thing is as Im sure have been mentioned many many times before. Holland is currently wasting talent or rather wasting the opportunity for our talent to get decent NHL time. With Hollands tactics we wouldnt have this great team for the last 20+ years had he got the job in ~1990. Murray put his faith in A LOT of young players going into the '91 season (and we faired better than last years Wings).

Sillinger, Primeau, Vial, Kennedy, Wilkes, Burr, Fedorov, Racine, Cheveldae, Garpenlöv and Djoos all got their chance to prove themselves.

The season after that Lidström, Kozlov and Lapointe joined the rotation (or in Lidströms case earned a permanent spot in the lineup)

and in 93 we had Cummins, York and Dallas Drake joining the fray.

Not to mention the players during the peak years that Bowman allowed to develop by playing with the stars. Fischer, Dandenault, Pushor, Ward, Butsayev, Devereaux, Kuznetsov, Datsyuk, Avery, Williams loads of talent atleast got the chance to be tested.

But I guess we cant risk that playoff streak right? :help:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
1) And nobody thought that Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk would turn out to be two elite Cs, that Nick Kronwall would be a top pairing D, that Gus Nyquist would actually have the ceiling of being a top line guy, etc. You don't plan on getting a "franchise guy" if you're a team like Detroit and you're not getting top 3 picks where those guys go. You concentrate on getting good players to develop to become something like that.

Plus, even though time goes by fast, we still have three years of having two elite Cs in the NHL right now. Right at this second, we don't necessarily need a franchise C in the system. (Yes, it is an organizational need and one that the organization is trying to address. I'm not saying that we're not going to need one, but we don't have to necessarily get one tomorrow because he'd simply be sitting in the AHL for a couple of years anyway).

at the time they were drafted, no.

it's been 15 years since they last drafted an elite player. they have no magic ability to do it. they have had fairly long periods of below average drafting (05-09) which is part of why we are not able to take the next step as a team.

there has been one franchise center drafted after top 5 since lockout (giroux). some that show potential to be one have been drafted in top 10.

if we got mackinnon, he definitely wouldn't be spending couple of years in the AHL.

even if we have three years of elite play from euro twins, that isn't all guaranteed, we are pretty much going nowhere anyway as that defense won't cut it. don't see it changing much in next 3 years.

drafting and scouting has evolved from what it was in 90s or even early 2000s. there is no more players that no one has ever seen except håkan.

i think it's far more likely that we have nothing even close to franchise center and dman on the pipeline than that we would have ones.

would be thrilled to be wrong.

2) FAs aren't going to suddenly not want to come here either. The Wings had specific needs and specific targets that picked other teams for reasons beyond hockey (Suter, family/money; Boyle, MSL; Niskanen, former coach). They also landed Stephen Weiss and Daniel Alfredsson over teams with better shots at the title and more/similar money.

i haven't read one report that other teams gave more money to weiss than us.

getting players like alfie is nice but if that's all we get at UFA.. well, it's just not enough.

wings have failed far more at UFA market than they have succeded (not that it's always bad thing, biggest UFA signing since hossa is weiss and.. well). i dont think getting UFAs is that important normally but we are lacking talent between ages 25-30,

What Holland and co say is true. Back before the cap, you did have only about eight teams that were serious contenders to sign the top players. Now, all 30 teams potentially have the resources and needs to be a realistic suitor for a free agent.

true. but the problem is that that is NOT going to change. there will be 30 (+) teams competing for services of the players as long as the CBA won't change significantly. it's not kenny's fault. it doesn't matter, it will be hard from now to get the players you want and at good prices.

3) If we had the assets to acquire a young franchise D man, Ken Holland would most likely make the trade. But, the Wings don't have those assets and are facing the reality of their core leaving in the next five years. What good does it do the team to acquire a flawed top pairing D now if they clear out their NHL-ready prospects to do it and they're left scrambling for talent in 2017 when Datsyuk hangs up his skates, Zetterberg is likely in full-on decline, and the top pairing D they acquired with the kids they traded is gone?

i agree with that. it's too late now.

i think our best bet is to hope that our prospects pan out like we hope (and even more). then the only real need is that franchise center. maybe we can make seguin like trade then.

long-shot but the best we have imo.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's never going to be that easy, to know you have a franchise center, franchise d-man and franchise goalie both on the team and in the pipeline. Only time will tell, but I think we have enough potential on defense that it's possible one develops into a good #1 in the next 3-4 years. Maybe not a Lidstrom, but a Kronwall replacement. Mrazek looks good in net. One of Nosek, Larkin, Sheahan, Athanasiou(if he plays C) could develop into a good #1 Center, maybe not a PPG one, but with the wingers we are likely to have maybe we don't need our centers to be superstars? Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, imo if you can have a #1 center that is Selke-level defensively and puts up a decent number of points you've come a long way. Doesn't have to be a Crosby or 3 Selke's in a row along with 90+ points good.

And the freakout about FAs has to stop. They're not an entity, they're individuals. This summer, the specific individuals we targeted wanted to go to other destinations for personal reasons. Doesn't mean that will always continue, doesn't mean it can't change if we have 1 or 2 good seasons where we prove we're not in a straight downward slope.

toews, bergeron and kopitar count as franchise centers to me.

just good #1 center doesn't really cut it. all the cup winners since lockout have had great one. bergeron counts as franchise player to me and krejci has been great player at playoffs. add top 3D and the best goalie in the league at the time (thomas).

i'm not really freaking out about UFA not signing here. one usually has flawed team if you have to rely on UFAs. they are big gamble.

to have 1 or 2 good seasons to get UFAs to come here, we would need to have more good players and as kenny can't trade, we would need UFAs... ok, maybe we could have similar run like in 2013 or finish in 5-6 spot at regular season. but as all of our top 3 players are 33, i'm not sure if players would really want to sign here long-term (i wouldn't and i'm a homer fan!).

so, so many things would have to go right for this re-tool to work. i don't believe they all would go right.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
toews, bergeron and kopitar count as franchise centers to me.

just good #1 center doesn't really cut it. all the cup winners since lockout have had great one. bergeron counts as franchise player to me and krejci has been great player at playoffs. add top 3D and the best goalie in the league at the time (thomas).
Bergeron is pretty much a 50-60 point player. Toews and Kopitar have never scored at a PPG in a full season. Then you have a team like St.Louis who have been running Backes as their #1C with good results (except in playoffs). My point is we don't necessarily need that Dats/Z 1:1 replacement who wins the Selke and scores close to 100 points. If Larkin reaches his ceiling as something similar to a Bergeron, that could be enough if we have wingers like Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen etc. who put up a lot of points. Sheahan could turn into a 40-50 point, 20+ goal, #2C who plays good defense and/or is a playoff performer like Krejci. Or, Nosek, who is one of the guys I'm most interested in following this coming season.

Not to mention, we don't have to look at the last 3-4 cup winners and think we need our own versions of all their key players. There are different ways to build winners and it's usually better to not try and copy someone else. Instead we should build with what we've got and maybe we will be the team that others try to copy (again). A stacked defense, Mrazek in net, great wingers and solid two-way centers is pretty much what our future looks like right now and that doesn't sound like a bad team to me.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ask Ansar

mantha and mrazek are untouchable, as is nyquist and 2015 1st, trading sproul doesn't make much sense. almost everyone else could be available for right deal.

if they are to make a move it is to sign alfie.. callahan likely gets waived, babs to evaluate options after the season is over.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bergeron is pretty much a 50-60 point player. Toews and Kopitar have never scored at a PPG in a full season. Then you have a team like St.Louis who have been running Backes as their #1C with good results (except in playoffs). My point is we don't necessarily need that Dats/Z 1:1 replacement who wins the Selke and scores close to 100 points. If Larkin reaches his ceiling as something similar to a Bergeron, that could be enough if we have wingers like Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkkinen etc. who put up a lot of points. Sheahan could turn into a 40-50 point, 20+ goal, #2C who plays good defense and/or is a playoff performer like Krejci. Or, Nosek, who is one of the guys I'm most interested in following this coming season.

Not to mention, we don't have to look at the last 3-4 cup winners and think we need our own versions of all their key players. There are different ways to build winners and it's usually better to not try and copy someone else. Instead we should build with what we've got and maybe we will be the team that others try to copy (again). A stacked defense, Mrazek in net, great wingers and solid two-way centers is pretty much what our future looks like right now and that doesn't sound like a bad team to me.

bergeron is a lot more than just 50-60 pt player. he's the best defensive F in hockey (along with kopitar). i'm not convinced at all that larkin has that ceiling. i don't know if anyone drafted after draisaitl have that ceiling.

yes there are different ways to build winners. winner have something in common, lot of great players. we don't project to have that unless many, many things go right. this team looks to be like blues without pietrangelo.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

Only 6 C scored at more then a PPG pace. #1 dmen and C are hard to say, technically there are 30 of each but looking at top 30 scoring C we have Nielsen, Turris and Little and there not build around C for cup runs. I agree with you on thats what our future looks like but thats relying on Mrzaek becoming a top goalie and 1 of our D becoming that 50+ point Dman

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
at the time they were drafted, no.

it's been 15 years since they last drafted an elite player. they have no magic ability to do it. they have had fairly long periods of below average drafting (05-09) which is part of why we are not able to take the next step as a team.

there has been one franchise center drafted after top 5 since lockout (giroux). some that show potential to be one have been drafted in top 10.

if we got mackinnon, he definitely wouldn't be spending couple of years in the AHL.

even if we have three years of elite play from euro twins, that isn't all guaranteed, we are pretty much going nowhere anyway as that defense won't cut it. don't see it changing much in next 3 years.

drafting and scouting has evolved from what it was in 90s or even early 2000s. there is no more players that no one has ever seen except håkan.

i think it's far more likely that we have nothing even close to franchise center and dman on the pipeline than that we would have ones.

would be thrilled to be wrong.

i haven't read one report that other teams gave more money to weiss than us.

getting players like alfie is nice but if that's all we get at UFA.. well, it's just not enough.

wings have failed far more at UFA market than they have succeded (not that it's always bad thing, biggest UFA signing since hossa is weiss and.. well). i dont think getting UFAs is that important normally but we are lacking talent between ages 25-30,

true. but the problem is that that is NOT going to change. there will be 30 (+) teams competing for services of the players as long as the CBA won't change significantly. it's not kenny's fault. it doesn't matter, it will be hard from now to get the players you want and at good prices.

i agree with that. it's too late now.

i think our best bet is to hope that our prospects pan out like we hope (and even more). then the only real need is that franchise center. maybe we can make seguin like trade then.

long-shot but the best we have imo.

I was saying more that the Wings have to draft well throughout the draft. It isn't likely they'll pull another Franchise C out of the late rounds, but if they want one they'll have to sift one out. Other than that, they will have to go the St Louis or Boston route of having multiple good to great top line guys as opposed to star PPG Cs who play Selke defense. My main point is that the Wings don't have to do something stupid in searching for their franchise C. They have a couple years to let Sheahan and co develop and/or find a guy in the draft.

I figured that St Louis was close in price on Weiss. They were in on Filppula and Weiss who both pretty much got $5M, so I have to believe it was similar money and what I said was more/similar.

Every team fails at FA more than they succeed. It's why building a team through it is a terrible idea. Even when Minny won the 2012 FA period, they're maybe one round further in the playoffs with $15M tied up in two players for 11 more years.

Oh the Wings do need more prime age talent. But they figured that if they signed placeholder veterans that could keep the streak going, they'd have all the prime age guys they'd ever need come 2016.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But please, for fun, list his headscratcher moves.

The following were moves I thought were downright awful AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE:

* Quincey for a 1st rounder
* Tootoo signing
* Samuelsson re-signing
* Cleary re-signing
* Quincey re-signing

The following were moves I was either disappointed in or otherwise unimpressed by AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE:

* Ericsson re-signing
* Bertuzzi re-signing
* Weiss signing

I won't "poke the bear" on Ericsson, because too many people like him around here, but even ignoring him, the rest of those moves are a collection of hot garbage. Honestly, Weiss and Quincey are the only two that have a CHANCE at being worth it, and I'm not holding my breath on either one.

Holland has a a very good record in drafting, and an increasingly bad record in trades and free agency, so get the guy some help, instead of watching possible avenues of improvement continue to get flushed down the drain.

Mule93

Mar 3, 2014
Luckily for K.H, This off-season all panned out relatively well despite failing to sign a RH D and apart from resigning Q and Clear with too much salary. Luckily the kids (Ny,Tat,Glen,Shea) are ready to step up. They know the system of the R.W's now and know what to expect in Reg and Post Seasons.

Letting Filp go was a HORRIBLE decision because we ended up paying more for Weiss and on the same length. Should have resigned Filp. That was the HUGE mistake that led to all our current issues. Definitely was THE turning point.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The following were moves I thought were downright awful AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE:

* Quincey for a 1st rounder
* Tootoo signing
* Samuelsson re-signing
* Cleary re-signing
* Quincey re-signing

The following were moves I was either disappointed in or otherwise unimpressed by AT THE TIME THEY WERE MADE:

* Ericsson re-signing
* Bertuzzi re-signing
* Weiss signing

I won't "poke the bear" on Ericsson, because too many people like him around here, but even ignoring him, the rest of those moves are a collection of hot garbage. Honestly, Weiss and Quincey are the only two that have a CHANCE at being worth it, and I'm not holding my breath on either one.

Holland has a a very good record in drafting, and an increasingly bad record in trades and free agency, so get the guy some help, instead of watching possible avenues of improvement continue to get flushed down the drain.

Agreed with this except for Ericsson and with Tootoo I only thought the money was awful. I liked the prospect of having him taking a 4th line role.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Letting Filp go was a HORRIBLE decision because we ended up paying more for Weiss and on the same length. Should have resigned Filp. That was the HUGE mistake that led to all our current issues. Definitely was THE turning point.

That led to our issues on defense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad