Holland Extended 4 Years

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Great news!

Holland said years ago we would be going through a retool. We are approximately half way through it. This contract will although him to follow through with his plan.

Props to the Illitch family

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Why reward success when you can reward mediocrity. I wish I would get a 4 year extension when I tell my boss that my viruses are only half as good as he expects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Great news. We knew this was coming and there's nobody even near decent replacement on the free market.

Will Yzerman's contract end at Tampa on the same year...?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Suicide jokes aren't going to fly in here. If you don't have anything productive to say, don't spam.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
*plays Taps*

Poor Datsyuk and Zetterberg...to never win another Cup is a waste of their latter years.

And here I thought only the Lions celebrated mediocrity. Not even the new arena will bring me back now. Slow death to a great franchise. What a shame.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not a fan of this move.

He has not been good at managing the roster for the last 3-4 years.

His drafting scouting/expertise is a true asset. He negates that by blocking the players he drafts, and being far too conservative and loyal to what he knows. Even when what he knows sucks.

Would've liked to transition him to a role like Jimmy D, and just leaned on him for advising with the drafts.

And had a GM come in that actually has some creativity and some balls. Holland as a specialty draft advisor together with a new competent General Manager would be an ideal combo for this team IMO.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Great news. We knew this was coming and there's nobody even near decent replacement on the free market.

Will Yzerman's contract end at Tampa on the same year...?

Yzerman signed for 4 more years in April of this year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Anybody remember the scene in Austin Powers, where he's driving the steamroller at like 2mph, and the henchman keeps yelling in panic forever, yet never moves and gets run over?

That's what the Wings are like. You can SEE the demise well beforehand, advancing at a snail's pace, yet nothing will change until it's too late. Soooooooo frustrating...

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Anybody remember the scene in Austin Powers, where he's driving the steamroller at like 2mph, and the henchman keeps yelling in panic forever, yet never moves and gets run over?

That's what the Wings are like. You can SEE the demise well beforehand, advancing at a snail's pace, yet nothing will change until it's too late. Soooooooo frustrating...

Management and ownership think getting smoked in the first round is a successful season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm lukewarm on the move. If Babcock leaves, as expected, and we're bringing in a new coach, I think I like the continuity in the front office during that transition. If Babcock stays, well, same ol' same ol'.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
*plays Taps*

Poor Datsyuk and Zetterberg...to never win another Cup is a waste of their latter years.

They maybe won't win another Cup. But they will mentor the next generation which will win it. Then everything as setting the bar for the next generation and showing the example they did was worth of it.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Holland has been Detroit's GM for the last 17 seasons, and since he took over in July 1997, his teams have won more regular-season games (746) and postseason games (115) than any other organization. The Red Wings won Stanley Cups in 1998, 2002 and 2008 - and another in 1997 while he was an assistant GM. ... During his tenure as GM, the Red Wings have won four Presidents' Trophies, five regular-season conference titles and 10 division titles.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/red-wings-sign-gm-holland-151239119--nhl.html I think it's a great move. :)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They maybe won't win another Cup. But they will mentor the next generation which will win it. Then everything as setting the bar for the next generation and showing the example they did was worth of it.

It is said that defense wins championships. If the defense is bad NOW, the next generation will include forwards that aren't nearly as good defensively as Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and the GM just inked to 4 more years has better odds of curing cancer than landing a legit defenseman, where exactly is this championship surge going to come from?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm fine with this. Did anyone actually think he wouldn't be extended? I bet Babcock gets an extension pretty soon too.

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
The longer he is here, the longer this team will toil with mediocrity. He is the definition of status quo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad