Rumor: Hoffman Extension

source

Jul 13, 2008
It's not really an NHL roster issue. It's a waiver issue. The idea with waivers is that once a player has accrued a certain amount of pro games and/or turns a certain age, that he is deemed to be someone who should be offered an NHL job before an AHL one.

So at the start of the season, before a team can assign someone to their AHL affiliate, if that player is eligible for waivers, the team must allow all the other teams to determine if he can be an NHL player with them if you don't want him to be on your NHL roster. If all teams pass on this, then he's ok to be sent to your AHL affiliate.

But at this point, he's earned the right to have another team take him as an NHLer if you don't want him to be at this time. It's so teams can't just hoard a bunch of experienced players in the minors where they could be contributing on other NHL rosters which isn't fair to the player.

So from what I understand, every single player a team has signed to a SPC (Standard Player Contract) is either waiver exempt or waiver eligible to begin an NHL season.

I wonder how many players we have that are exempt vs. non-exempt. I know we can carry a max of 23 players during the ordinary course of things.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Even the Islanders.

the islanders have a decent team now. They have no reason to place waiver claims on every player that gets sent down anymore. If you think about it though players that get put on waivers dont tend to become big NHL stars the only one i can think of off the top of my head who had great success is Grabner .

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
So from what I understand, every single player a team has signed to a SPC (Standard Player Contract) is either waiver exempt or waiver eligible to begin an NHL season.

I wonder how many players we have that are exempt vs. non-exempt. I know we can carry a max of 23 players during the ordinary course of things.

Here are the exemptions for probable NHL players:

Zibanejad, Pageau, Lehner

Exemptions for probable AHL/ECHL players:

Everybody except Hoffman, Dziurzynski, Lawson, Eckford, Da Costa (RFA) and Cowick (RFA)

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
Exemptions for probable AHL/ECHL players:

Everybody except Hoffman, Dziurzynski, Lawson, Eckford, Da Costa (RFA) and Cowick (RFA)

None of these players would have any issues clearing waivers when/if they are sent down during training camp.

Each team has a list of players of more or less the same equivalent talent that will be sent down in and around the same time.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
add derek grant, who also would likely clear waivers.

the only two i'm worried about with waivers are hoffman and da costa. I think either could get claimed. Dziurzynsky is a slight risk, but i think that maclaren fight/knockout/concussion will scare teams away.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Dude can shoot the puck like a pro. And apparently should have been called up prior to any of our other call ups. So if he is the best of the bunch that played last year, the kids got game.

I think he's a little to light to play tbh but he has a ton of incentive this year to prove himself. If he cant do it this year he cant do it period.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Someone mentioned Grabner getting picked up - he was coming off a stint where he had 11 pts in 20 games, plus played 9 playoff games - he was a lot more of a sure thing.

I just don't see a team taking a guy with 4 NHL games under his belt and giving him a full time spot on their roster - if they do that there's probably someone better than the Hoff available, lots of guys have to get through waivers at the end of camp.

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
EM showing he's still got it.

make-it-rain-guys.gif

wooohooo :yashin:

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He's got NHL level skills, but needs to show he's not Ryan Shannon V.2.0.

One big positive is that he's improved his skating since junior. It's become an asset for him.

Management has their favourites, and he's on the list:
- Stone
- Pageau
- Hoffman

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I really like what I saw in his short stint. His speed was really noticeable. We don't have too many speedsters in our lineup, and I think players like Hoff would have helped against a team like Pitt. The Islanders gave them trouble due to the team speed.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He's got NHL level skills, but needs to show he's not Ryan Shannon V.2.0.

One big positive is that he's improved his skating since junior. It's become an asset for him.

Management has their favourites, and he's on the list:
- Stone
- Pageau
- Hoffman

Only one of those players will make the team out of camp, Murray said it himself.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Colin Greening ($0.817m) / Jason Spezza ($7.000m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Kyle Turris ($3.500m) / Milan Michalek ($4.333m)
Cory Conacher ($0.925m) / Mika Zibanejad ($1.744m) / Mark Stone ($0.873m) OR JG Pageau
Erik Condra ($1.250m) / Zack Smith ($1.888m) / Chris Neil ($1.900m)
Matt Kassian ($0.575m) / Jim O'Brien ($0.638m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Methot ($3.000m) / Erik Karlsson ($6.500m)
Jared Cowen ($2.000m) / Joe Corvo ($0.900m)
Chris Phillips ($3.083m) / Patrick Wiercioch ($1.300m)
Eric Gryba ($0.563m) /
GOALTENDERS
Craig Anderson ($3.188m)
Robin Lehner ($0.870m)
OTHER
Buyout: Bobby Butler ($0.200m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,395,833; BONUSES: $1,120,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $10,024,167

One M0RE YEAR

Jun 5, 2013
I haven't been keeping up with the amount of 1way vs 2way we have

You kids and your music! :shakefist:

1 way or 2 way doesnt make a difference in determining if they are waiver exempt. It just determines if the player will get paid the same amount in the nhl and ahl or have 2 seperate salaries.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Ryan Shannon and Hoffman are not similar.

Shannon's a lot more of a waterbug.

Hoffman's a lot more point and shoot.

That sounds like the Hoffman from the Q... it seems like he's playing a solid defensive game and using his speed in the A. Maybe one of the Bingo guys can weigh in...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
So who are our bubble players . Conacher(Maybe),Kassain and O'brien . There just doesnt seem to be enough space for all of them :'( ? Why did we trade for kassain :'( why did o'brien have to go to a funeral and then never play another NHL game? :'( Why Must Conacher really be 5'6 even though he's listed as 5'8? Whose roll could Hoffman take?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad