Rumor: Hoffman Extension

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Based purely on potential, I agree. But with Pageau not waiver eligible, I just can't see the team exposing Hoffman and possibly giving him up for nothing. It'd be terrible asset management.

The only icetime I see Hoffman getting this year is as an injury callup, would he have to clear waivers as an emergency injury callup? I thought no, but I honestly have no idea?

I just can't see Pageau not making the team after being one of the best players here in nearly every game he played, which MacLean seemed to agree with. I'm just hoping for an injury free training camp and pre-season so that we can start the season with a full team at the very least!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The only icetime I see Hoffman getting this year is as an injury callup, would he have to clear waivers as an emergency injury callup? I thought no, but I honestly have no idea?

I just can't see Pageau not making the team after being one of the best players here in nearly every game he played, which MacLean seemed to agree with. I'm just hoping for an injury free training camp and pre-season so that we can start the season with a full team at the very least!

According to capgeek, Hoffman is waiver exempt for another 65 games (this season).

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/?player_id=1829&NHL_games=4&pro_games_radio=0&Calculate=

Can anybody else verify if it’s a fact?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

A wise man once told me that actions speak louder than inferences. ;) So I guess we'll see in a few months' time. Pretty sure you're right RE: emergency call-ups, in that waivers AREN'T a factor. Can someone who's more well-versed in the CBA confirm for us?

WhiteLight*

A wise man once told me that actions speak louder than inferences. ;) So I guess we'll see in a few months' time. Pretty sure you're right RE: emergency call-ups, in that waivers AREN'T a factor. Can someone who's more well-versed in the CBA confirm for us?

But Hoffman has clear to go DOWN at the start of the season, no matter what

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
recall waivers no longer exist. All w have to worry about is waivers when sending someone down.

In Hoffman 's case, that means at the end of camp, he has to clear waivers to go to bingo. If he does, we can then emergency recall him and send him back down without waivers if an injury his.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Do you have an alternate source to prove that? What are you basing your conclusion on?

Capgeek spells it out properly but comes to the wrong conclusion for some reason. Hoffman was exempt for 3 seasons. He's played three seasons. He is no longer waiver exempt.

WhiteLight*

Dont worry every team waives a couple players I can't think of a time they were claimed.

There's always a few per season I think. If someone likes Hoffman for their NHL team, he'll be claimed.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
lol

Looking at some teams around the league, they should make a claim. Not saying it'll happen, cause GMs are homers for their own teams

And respectfully he's done nothing at the NHL level while taking up a contract to the team that claims him.

I mean I can see NJD making a claim but even loosing him I'm not to worried.

WhiteLight*

And respectfully he's done nothing at the NHL level while taking up a contract.

I mean I can see NJD making a claim but even loosing him I'm not to worried.

Quickly off the top of my head, PHX, CAL, CAR, SJS (why did they trade Galiardi?) could use NHL bodies. If they like him as an NHLer, they could take him

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The guy was Bingos leading scorer when he went down. Dorion raves about him havin high end potential.

I see no way he makes it through waivers, even with the glut of players sent down when camps end.

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
There is almost never any waiver claims at the end of training camp when teams send their final cuts to the minors. This is because most teams are happy with or are willing to see what they've got on their roster.

They definitely wouldn't be putting a claim in on a player who has yet to even establish themselves as an NHL player. Remember that if you claim someone, they're on your NHL roster.

He'll clear. They always do. Every team in the NHL has their own Hoffman's they also are trying to send down to the AHL at the same time.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
There is almost never any waiver claims at the end of training camp when teams send their final cuts to the minors. This is because most teams are happy with or are willing to see what they've got on their roster.

They definitely wouldn't be putting a claim in on a player who has yet to even establish themselves as an NHL player. Remember that if you claim someone, they're on your NHL roster.

He'll clear. They always do. Every team in the NHL has their own Hoffman's they also are trying to send down to the AHL at the same time.

Even the Islanders?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

My thoughts exactly.

source

Jul 13, 2008
The guy was Bingos leading scorer when he went down. Dorion raves about him havin high end potential.

I see no way he makes it through waivers, even with the glut of players sent down when camps end.

That can't be right. All players who participate in training camp are considered to be on our NHL roster? There must be a cut-off date of some sort, before which AHL or Junior players can participate in camp without being considered to be on our roster. Furthermore, I believe there are limits to the # of players who can be on an NHL roster at one point in time.

Or is it not an NHL roster issue?

DefenseMinister

Jul 20, 2006
That can't be right. All players who participate in training camp are considered to be on our NHL roster? There must be a cut-off date of some sort, before which AHL or Junior players can participate in camp without being considered to be on our roster. Furthermore, I believe there are limits to the # of players who can be on an NHL roster at one point in time.

Or is it not an NHL roster issue?

It's not really an NHL roster issue. It's a waiver issue. The idea with waivers is that once a player has accrued a certain amount of pro games and/or turns a certain age, that he is deemed to be someone who should be offered an NHL job before an AHL one.

So at the start of the season, before a team can assign someone to their AHL affiliate, if that player is eligible for waivers, the team must allow all the other teams to determine if he can be an NHL player with them if you don't want him to be on your NHL roster. If all teams pass on this, then he's ok to be sent to your AHL affiliate.

But at this point, he's earned the right to have another team take him as an NHLer if you don't want him to be at this time. It's so teams can't just hoard a bunch of experienced players in the minors where they could be contributing on other NHL rosters which isn't fair to the player.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
He shoots left and ran the PP from the point in Binghamton, did he not? With Gonchar leaving it might help him make the big club seeing how we only have one left handed d man that can/should play a regular shift on the PP .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad