Recalled/Assigned: Hildeby recalled, new year, brave new world

horner

May 22, 2007
On the positive side I doubt he can do any worse than Samsonov has this season. I just hope we’re not rushing him out of necessity. There’s a ton of upside there and it still feels early. Maybe he can Matt Murray his way to a cup?
It is out of necessity but he has also played great.

Alot of teams looking for a goaltender.
Not alot out there
Gibson yesturday .825 save%

He will probably get 3 games this month .

It will be good for him to know what parts of his game to improve on

Relax and have fun buddy

Reactions: Its not your fault

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
He is a bust if he doesn’t get a gordie Howe hat trick.

He will get the Anaheim start and if he does well
I would give him the San Jose start too.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
unless he gets in a fight, which is also ok

I’d love to see a leaf goalie take a two-handed smack to the back of, say …. marchands knees

Rooting hard for the kid. Pretty embarrassing were this far down the depth chart though. Cursed

Me too

If this team could pull a legit all star goalie out of their system on an ELC it would be absolutely amazing for the team.

It’s my Christmas miracle wish. That one of the 3 best leaf goalie prospects can break through and put their stamp on the job.

When was the last time the leafs had an all star goalie? 20 years ago?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really don’t think a rookie goalie will be the solution to the Leafs problems, but I have to admit, his numbers do intrigue me

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If you need to go back 30 years for an example it probably doesn’t really prove your point.

Why not? I don’t see how it matters.

The leafs haven’t really drafted many goalies in the first couple rounds. I think Woll and Hildeby are probably the highest drafted goalies since …. Rask?

fichaud was probably the highest pick I remember using for a goalie, and that was also 30 years ago.

I guess Ian Scott was fairly high too, for the leafs. But he had unfortunate circumstances derail his chances.

If the leafs had been picking goalies in the first 3 rounds for the last 30 years and having them not pan out, I could see the point. Sparks was even a 7th round pick.

Reimer was picked around the 3rd, 4th rounds

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
2022 draft pick. Seems early to be NHL ready but here's hoping he breaks through like Palmateer did when he was first called up.

View attachment 793914

2022 pick but he went undrafted twice so he’s the same age as a 2020 pick. Still perhaps a year or so early for a goalie picked in the 4th but he’s been great everywhere he’s played since being picked and it’s not a long term plan where he’s here for good, just a short term see what he can do while we need a guy until Woll is back.

Unless he blows the covers off he’ll go back down. The interesting questions is whether the Leafs will be willing to go with him as the backup next season or they get a 1B for 1 year to ply with Woll first, and then Hildeby is 24/25 depth and full time NHLer in 25/26

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why not? I don’t see how it matters.

The leafs haven’t really drafted many goalies in the first couple rounds. I think Woll and Hildeby are probably the highest drafted goalies since …. Rask?

fichaud was probably the highest pick I remember using for a goalie, and that was also 30 years ago.

I guess Ian Scott was fairly high too, for the leafs. But he had unfortunate circumstances derail his chances.

If the leafs had been picking goalies in the first 3 rounds for the last 30 years and having them not pan out, I could see the point. Sparks was even a 7th round pick.
The leafs aren’t the only team in the league. There is a lot of data to support the idea that that goalies take the longest to develop out of the positions in this game.
There are absolutely exceptions to this line Oettinger and Potvin. But they are rare enough that you had to go back 30 years for one of those examples.

I’m not saying Hildeby can’t be one of those guys but it’s rare for a reason.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I hope he at least gets a start - can't have our season riding on Martin Jones

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't see the pressure on this kid others are worried about. He's been brought up within very specific parameters, he isn't staying, it a chance to get a feel for the pro game and learn. He probably only gets a handful of starts, whether he struggles or excels, when Woll returns he goes back down to continue his development. We aren't ruining this kid, and if we were, then he doesn't have the mental acumen to make as an NHL goalie anyways. Nobody is expecting Belfour or bust, at least nobody that actually matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad