Player Discussion: Hickey

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We can't bring back this year's defense and expect better goals against. It's time to move on.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We can't bring back this year's defense and expect better goals against. It's time to move on.

Haha, actually definition of insanity I think... they have to bring in a top 4 guy that is shutdown at the very least

Reactions: PROMputt

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I do not want him back, even if he plays for free. Plus/minus whatever, he fails the eye test every time I watch a game. Bad pinches, too slow, too small, turnover machine.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
He should not be back based on the Pelech and Mayfield contracts. If Hickey returns we have the same D as last year.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think he has played pretty well of late. He has helped Pulock to progress and has been one of the Isles better d-men this year.

With that said, we should extend a thank you for all his efforts and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. As he most definitely should not be retained for next year!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Fans are always looking for a scapegoat every year and they always pick their least favorite payers. Hickey has not been the problem with this defense this season.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I have played defense my whole life and 100% dissagree
Agreed. He is not our best but he is far from the worst. Being on the small side and having played defense I always had a soft spot for Hickey. It is true that 'small guys have to prove they can play and big guys have to prove the can't.' Hickey probably will not be back but he is far from the biggest problem on the blue line and some team will pick him up and be happy.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Sadly without him our D will be worse if that is even possible.
A new management team needs to make a top 2 d man job 1, a proven vet. We need to get better, and Hickey's size and lack of speed have been exposed time and again.

Last edited by a moderator:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
A new management team needs to make a top 2 d man job 1, a proven vet. We need to get better, and Hickey's size and lack of speed have been exposed time and again.

I think he's been exposed LESS than any other defender this year, maybe far less. That's how bad this team is, defensively (and not just the defensemen) You can make an argument that Hickey's been our best defenseman this year - let that sink in.

Pulock has really emerged offensively, his defense has gone from terrible to "bad" - and I'm hopeful he can continue to improve. Pelech's been awful, but he's asked to eat a lot of minutes that he's incapable of. Leddy has been a disaster without the puck, Boychuk has been "okay" but his best days are behind him.

I'd love to know where we can add a #1 and #3-4 dman (or two, if we lose deHaan) - every team in hockey looks for those and few have them.

I think Hickey will walk, he'll get a 2-3 yr deal at $2.5-3MM and he'll be a solid #5-6 somewhere, and good for him. I think the Isles will miss him, not because he's great, but because the rest will have to play more minutes and are all worse than Hickey.

Really need Toews to be a top dman, infinitely harder when he's missed a whole season. Would love to see Aho emerge but he didn't look good at all, especially defensively. This is one UGLY defense core.

Reactions: bigd

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If you truly got rid of Isles' D men because of exposure, the sequential list would likely look like this:
Leddy
Mayfield
Seids
Pulock
Pelech
Hickey
Boychuk

Again, for a 5-6, Hickey is fine and the least of the team's D problems.

Reactions: bigd

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He will sign with someone to play on 3rd pair where he belongs and as a 5/6 guy in NHL he is fine. He doesn’t fit here any longer and we need to clear out room for someone like Toews and perhaps a legit NHL top four guy.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
He's a good bottom pairing defensemen and then in the playoffs he sucks. I guess that's a good job.
He was probably our 2nd best Dman in the Washington series. Also played the 3rd most mins by Dmen that series. Also most points by a Dman the last time we made the playoffs with no PP time and an OT game winner.

Reactions: PROMputt

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
He was probably our 2nd best Dman in the Washington series. Also played the 3rd most mins by Dmen that series. Also most points by a Dman the last time we made the playoffs with no PP time and an OT game winner.

He was better than Leddy, Boychuk, and Vis? Okay..

He had 3.1 times the amount of turnovers in the Florida series than Nick Leddy had when he won the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad