Player Discussion: Hickey

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Don’t care what the stats say about Hickey. I want nothing to do with him at all after this season. He gets pushed around like a rag doll against big physical teams and if we happen to make the playoffs one of these seasons, we’ll see him get pushed around again when every team plays big and physical.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He’s not that good in my opinion, he’s just one of the only defenseman on the team
who is properly deployed.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Hickey should have been dealt at the deadline

Another trade deadline failure by the worst GM in NHL history.
Yeah, let's get rid of one of their better performing D men while trying to make the playoffs (at the time). If they were committing to a rebuild, then sure, but they did not do that.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, let's get rid of one of their better performing D men while trying to make the playoffs (at the time). If they were committing to a rebuild, then sure, but they did not do that.
We all knew playoffs were a long shot at the deadline and even if they made it they would be 5 games and out.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
We all knew playoffs were a long shot at the deadline and even if they made it they would be 5 games and out.
Exactly - so to focus on Hickey is ludicrous. If Hickey was a part of an overall housecleaning, then understand the move; otherwise, if the Isles were going to try and make the playoffs, as unlikely as it seemed, then trading Hickey would have diminished the D even more.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Exactly - so to focus on Hickey is ludicrous. If Hickey was a part of an overall housecleaning, then understand the move; otherwise, if the Isles were going to try and make the playoffs, as unlikely as it seemed, then trading Hickey would have diminished the D even more.

Hickey is just more proof that Snow has no plan.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hickey is just more proof that Snow has no plan.
Hickey is a 6th defenseman. Unfortunately Pelech is a 6th defenseman, Mayfield is a 6th defenseman (both of which Snow commtted term to) and Aho is a 6th defenseman who may project to be a better Hickey.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Hickey is a 6th defenseman. Unfortunately Pelech is a 6th defenseman, Mayfield is a 6th defenseman (both of which Snow commtted term to) and Aho is a 6th defenseman who may project to be a better Hickey.

We have a glut of. Bottom pair dmen. Hickey as a UFA should have been dealt.

It’s just another example of Snows incompetence. Nothing ground breaking

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Staple's The Athletic article in regards to Hickey

He added that there have been some minor conversations between the Isles and his agent. “I like being here, they like having me here, but we all know there's bigger fish that need their attention first,” he said. “That will sort itself out one way or another this summer.”

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Time to move on from Thomas Hickey. He is currently making 2.25 million per year and is likely to want 2.5-3.0 million per year to be on the bottom 6 pairing. Use the money saved by not re-signing him to re-sign de Haan, who is much better, or trade for a legitimate top 4 defender. But do not bring back Hickey and say that the Islanders are a Stanley Cup contending team with him in the lineup!!

Reactions: PWJunior

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Boychuk
Leddy
Pulock

deHaan (likely gone).
Toews
Pelech
Mayfield
Aho
Hickey

Seidenberg (likely retires.)

That is not a good look going into next season. I like Hickey but there is a glut of bottom pair defensemen. I would take him as an ideal 6/7th D. Snow(Snow's replacement) needs to make a move for a top-4 D, and Mayfield or Aho need to go the other way.

Last edited:

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Last night Hickey didnt play alot of minutes for some reason, but he had a 62% corsi with only 16% Ozone starts(lowest on either team by alot)

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
next year, they'll have:

Leddy, Boychuk, Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock (RFA)

AND either deHaan or another UFA comparable (we all hope)

then they have Aho, Toews that probably should have playing time.

Hickey would be a great bottom pair, minute eating, experienced dman who can help Mayfield/Toews/Aho - but he'll probably walk. It's not a roster-changing decision one way or another, but I think Hickey's a solid dman.

Reactions: bigd

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'd still love to keep Hickey but there are too many guys. If we see a Pelech and a first for OEL for example, then ok. We still have a lot of bodies but we moved one straight across and added talent on top.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Time to move on from Thomas Hickey. He is currently making 2.25 million per year and is likely to want 2.5-3.0 million per year to be on the bottom 6 pairing. Use the money saved by not re-signing him to re-sign de Haan, who is much better, or trade for a legitimate top 4 defender. But do not bring back Hickey and say that the Islanders are a Stanley Cup contending team with him in the lineup!!
The Islanders are not a SC contender regardless of him returning or leaving. So far from it!

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
The Islanders are not a SC contender regardless of him returning or leaving. So far from it!

I don't think that the Isles are a Stanley Cup contender with or without him, but I know that Garth Snow will say that if they re-sign Hickey they are a contender and that is what I fear the most.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ok, so after reading 7 pages about Hickey and our great depth of 6/7 dmen...

The conclusion is..we are lacking high end defensemen! Moving on...keep our d the way they are and acquire top 2s and 3s ..now we have depth..number 1s don't come by all that often so we have to wait patiently, but we can sure go for 2s and 3s!

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
I hate using +/- as a stat, and yes I know all dmen are used in different situations, but Hickey is the ONLY active player on the team with a double digit +/-. And its not like he is playing 12 mins a game. He averages over 18 mins per game, with basically nothing on the PP. There is almost a 60 goal difference in the +/- of Hickey (16) and our "top defenseman" Leddy (-42).

I get that there are a lot of #6 dmen on this team and people say hickey gets "pushed around" a lot, but that doesn't seem to correlate with giving up more goals while he is on the ice. And for being small and getting pushed around, he has thrown the biggest hits on the team the past few seasons, so its not like he's scared of contact. He's one of the few D on this team that actually knows how to position himself.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I hate using +/- as a stat, and yes I know all dmen are used in different situations, but Hickey is the ONLY active player on the team with a double digit +/-. And its not like he is playing 12 mins a game. He averages over 18 mins per game, with basically nothing on the PP. There is almost a 60 goal difference in the +/- of Hickey (16) and our "top defenseman" Leddy (-42).

I get that there are a lot of #6 dmen on this team and people say hickey gets "pushed around" a lot, but that doesn't seem to correlate with giving up more goals while he is on the ice. And for being small and getting pushed around, he has thrown the biggest hits on the team the past few seasons, so its not like he's scared of contact. He's one of the few D on this team that actually knows how to position himself.
Kid played 22 minutes last night!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->