HFVan Hockey League 2017-18 (Now Up: Nucker101 - 8:45 AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah so what I have season tickets.. I win.

cut.jpg

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
If you guys have claimed a team but don't see your name beside them in the OP, just let us know. We're not ignoring you, we just missed it. :P

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Definitely was the biggest worry. Hopefully we can get the last few remaining and have a full league.

Just to add to this, if you guys know anyone on HF who might be interested in the league, feel free to invite them. The faster we fill our teams, the longer we'll have to draft players.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Just to add to this, if you guys know anyone on HF who might be interested in the league, feel free to invite them. The faster we fill our teams, the longer we'll have to draft players.

Considering this is supposed to be a keeper league I hope we're not rushing things like the LWD thread. Everyone runs on different schedules, so if you let the few most eager guys set the pace things are probably going to get lopsided.

But more specifically here normally I'd say go ahead with draft when we're ready but I'm worried about drafting a 31 team league when technically there's currently only 30 NHL teams. While you don't want to get everyone together than sit on it for two months, the ideal time to start drafting 31 teams is after the 31 teams we're drafting from are set.

Here's my starting suggestion:

1. Give it a few more days, even a week, to fill out the teams.

2. Take our time getting the rules and league settings up, allowing plenty of time for discussions and fine tuning. For example the first LWMD I don't think the rules were up even 24 hours before the poster running it (?) pulled the start trigger, so picks were already in when I noticed a huge flaw in the rules that was now too late to change.

3. Start drafting but put a limit on it, example limited to one round per week until the expansion draft. Limit it to maybe 8-10 rounds before the expansion draft, when Vegas' roster doesn't really matter, then lift the restriction once they're set. Also nothing wrong with running the entry draft at the same time the pro draft is still running.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We don't plan to rush into anything. Our biggest worry as I've said is getting enough GM's. We are already establishing our CBA, our capsheets for the most part are complete. We are just waiting for enough GM's before we fully move forward.

We will then post our CBA and we can discuss any discrepancies within it that you guys have issues with, but we feel it'll be pretty solid for the most part seeing as we already use these set of rules in two leagues already.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Considering this is supposed to be a keeper league I hope we're not rushing things like the LWD thread. Everyone runs on different schedules, so if you let the few most eager guys set the pace things are probably going to get lopsided.

But more specifically here normally I'd say go ahead with draft when we're ready but I'm worried about drafting a 31 team league when technically there's currently only 30 NHL teams. While you don't want to get everyone together than sit on it for two months, the ideal time to start drafting 31 teams is after the 31 teams we're drafting from are set.

Here's my starting suggestion:

1. Give it a few more days, even a week, to fill out the teams.

2. Take our time getting the rules and league settings up, allowing plenty of time for discussions and fine tuning. For example the first LWMD I don't think the rules were up even 24 hours before the poster running it (?) pulled the start trigger, so picks were already in when I noticed a huge flaw in the rules that was now too late to change.

3. Start drafting but put a limit on it, example limited to one round per week until the expansion draft. Limit it to maybe 8-10 rounds before the expansion draft, when Vegas' roster doesn't really matter, then lift the restriction once they're set. Also nothing wrong with running the entry draft at the same time the pro draft is still running.

Oh, for sure. Up until the last month or so before the season, the time limit on picks will be fairly lengthy. We're not going to rush this; I just want to make sure we can actually get to 31 GMs as it would be a shame to set this all up just to struggle to fill the last 5 or so spots.

edit: To touch on the last sentence of point #3, I'm not really sure how we're going to handle the 2017 Entry Draft yet. I'm thinking the fairest way is to just let people draft 2017 eligible players in the fantasy draft. As much as I'd prefer to have an actual entry draft, I don't think it's fair for a handful of teams to get NHL-ready prospects while others get prospects who might be players years down the road. The only way I can think of that makes it somewhat fair is to use the inverse draft order from the main draft, but I don't know. I'm curious what you guys think the best way to approach it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad