HFVan Hockey League 2017-18 (Now Up: Nucker101 - 8:45 AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Drafting a full NHL team would be fun, randomized assignment of the city and inherit the AHL team.
aka you get handed Toronto by random draw and draft a 28 man roster, then get the marlies organization as well.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Drafting a full NHL team would be fun, randomized assignment of the city and inherit the AHL team.
aka you get handed Toronto by random draw and draft a 28 man roster, then get the marlies organization as well.

Yeah, inheriting the leftovers would work. Gets pretty tedious once you get beyond the NHL.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Ahh **** it, ill give the new format a chance.

Ill stay in. Lets do this!

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
What if we did a 30ish round draft and let any other roster filling happen through signings? I'm not crazy about inheriting minor league teams because I'd like to avoid giving anyone an advantage like that, and we don't need to be operating with full AHL rosters anyway.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What if we did a 30ish round draft and let any other roster filling happen through signings? I'm not crazy about inheriting minor league teams because I'd like to avoid giving anyone an advantage like that, and we don't need to be operating with full AHL rosters anyway.
I thought the whole idea was to have full AHL teams.

Not a huge advantage I can forsee if we exclude certain players. Aka prospects called up this year go into the NHL draft.

The minor disadvantage a few AHL teams might have should be made up for in your NHL draft skills.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'm on the fence about drafting a whole minor league team simply because I don't have 5 hrs to sit in front of a computer to draft in a 30 GM league with kids running around the house and all. inheriting sounds pretty good, or maybe we can just draft X<5 rounds for our AHL affiliate

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I thought the whole idea was to have full AHL teams.

Not a huge advantage I can forsee if we exclude certain players. Aka prospects called up this year go into the NHL draft.

The minor disadvantage a few AHL teams might have should be made up for in your NHL draft skills.

I don't think I was clear enough on the function of the AHL team in the OP. It's basically just a place to stash your non-roster players such as prospects or players who don't fit onto your 23 man roster. There's really no reason to be holding on to career minor leaguers and such unless you think they're going to be seeing NHL time, so I highly doubt anyone is actually going to be running with a full AHL team.

That being said, if you guys would still prefer a 23 round draft to fill out the main roster and then just inheriting the rest, we can do it. Maybe we can create some exceptions to prevent the inherited bodies of players from being too lopsided from team to team.

edit: For reference, a lot of the teams in the other league that we're basing this off of have around 35-40 players on their full rosters, and that's including prospects who aren't playing pro hockey yet. If we do a ~30 round draft over the span of 3 or 4 months, I don't think it would be as bad as some of you are thinking... but I'll leave it up to you nonetheless.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm interested. Definitely don't want to draft all the way to a full AHL team though.

We wouldn't be drafting an AHL team. Your roster limit would be same as the NHL, so it's up to you whether you want prospects coming up in the pipeline.

Some teams in my current keeper under this same format have 10 prospects as their AHL team. Others have close to a full AHL roster full of prospects - mostly looking to find that next gem to make an impact in the NHL.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
We wouldn't be drafting an AHL team. Your roster limit would be same as the NHL, so it's up to you whether you want prospects coming up in the pipeline.

Some teams in my current keeper under this same format have 10 prospects as their AHL team. Others have close to a full AHL roster full of prospects - mostly looking to find that next gem to make an impact in the NHL.

Wouldn't you want to limit every team to the same number of players?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wouldn't you want to limit every team to the same number of players?

What do you mean? Every team is limit the 50 contract maximum. It's up to the GM if they want to have prospects in their system or not.

Some GM's don't bother to sign guys like Sam Ruopp for example because he's not a high caliber prospect and think it's a waste of time to look for those guys. Others like myself will sign those guys hoping they can make huge strides in their developments and make the NHL.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Intoewsables and I are going to be working on the CBA and such since we know we have commitments. This was our biggest worry, so now we can get things in order.

You guys can start picking which NHL team you would like to GM, Vegas included, first come first serve!

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
Intoewsables and I are going to be working on the CBA and such since we know we have commitments. This was our biggest worry, so now we can get things in order.

You guys can start picking which NHL team you would like to GM, Vegas included, first come first serve!

Philadelphia please!

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

Dibs on Canucks—not JB...

EDIT: as long as we're not going with the "IRL rosters" as was a suggestion—missed the decision on that...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dibs on Canucks—not JB...

EDIT: as long as we're not going with the "IRL rosters" as was a suggestion—missed the decision on that...

We will be doing a fantasy draft over the course of the summer. A draft over the summer is perfect because it can go at any rate of pace and we can still get it done on time pretty easily.

This makes it easier for everyone as you can just poke in once and awhile to see if you're up/make your pick etc. As it's very hard to get 30 people together and draft for hours on end.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
We will be doing a fantasy draft over the course of the summer. A draft over the summer is perfect because it can go at any rate of pace and we can still get it done on time pretty easily.

This makes it easier for everyone as you can just poke in once and awhile to see if you're up/make your pick etc. As it's very hard to get 30 people together and draft for hours on end.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tryamkin gave me
vgk.png

Thank you

Last edited:

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Added it to the OP earlier but just in case someone scrolls through the last page and not the OP: I'm taking Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad