HFVan Hockey League 2017-18 III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is so difficult to evaluate objectively though. How much should that GM be "handicapped"? 200k? For how long? 3 player? 5 players?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
That is so difficult to evaluate objectively though. How much should that GM be "handicapped"? 200k? For how long? 3 player? 5 players?
Something more along the lines of struggling to sign high-profile free agents, getting players to waive to go there, etc. rather than a monetary value tacked on to every negotiation.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In the end it becomes a question of money/term. GM A offer 3.7m. GM B offer 3.9m. GM B waived a guy like Varlamov. Who gets the deal? Should GM B have to make it 4.1m for it to be worth the pain? 4.5m?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
In the end it becomes a question of money/term. GM A offer 3.7m. GM B offer 3.9m. GM B waived a guy like Varlamov. Who gets the deal? Should GM B have to make it 4.1m for it to be worth the pain? 4.5m?

Essentially, yes. GM B has proved to players around the league they will waive anyone to drop in the standings - why go there for cheaper when they could be next? It's what would happen IRL - you don't get a good rep when pulling crap like that, players tend to shy away.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Correct, but in real life a real person evaluates that. Each to them own kind of. One player might put the value at 200k another 1m. There is no right or wrong. That is not the same in this game.

So GM A gets the player. GM B makes an offer for another player. Same kind of thing with GM C. Same result? If not why? If GM A gets a player due to GM Bs handicap why shouldn’t GM C have the same benefits? Then again how long should GM B pay for this?

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I would say we probably need a rule to prevent GMs from having no NHL starter in their line-up or waiving starters to tank (regardless how bad they are). I do agree it would be unfair to add such a rule now since the offseason is over; if we were to add something it should start next season.

My suggestion is having a required number of games played (like 40-50?) by both goalies combined to be eligible for the Playoffs and/or Entry Draft.

So, for example, something like a 30 GP minimum and 100 GP maximum? How would you count LTIR as games played? I'm not trying to sound critical or anything -- I just feel like I'm not quite understanding your idea.

i feel like if a gm pulls stunts where they purposely bury legit NHL players to tank should hurt there gm rep so that players will not want to sign there as frequently and make it harder to resign players.

I think we have some pretty good ideas and suggestions so far to solve/help the goalie situation.

1) We should have a minimum (30 - 50) and a maximum (80 - 120) number of games played for goalies; by doing this we can take out the "one starter only" rule; and
2) Any team deliberately seen as tanking, or if the majority voice their opinion regarding it should be penalized. Hurting their rep with signing FAs is a good one. I think a draft pick penalty should be implemented as well (ie. the team loses their 1st for the upcoming/next draft).

Reactions: StrictlyCommercial

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I feel a bit ashamed for not catching this until now, but seeing as waiving Varlamov would put Chicago under the cap floor, I can't actually allow the move. I've talked to Dabeast about this and after seeing the reaction from other GMs, he has agreed that it's best to just hang on to Varlamov rather than make moves to try and waive him again. Due to this, I'm going to ignore the other goalies moves from yesterday as well.

Hopefully we can use this mess to continue our dialogue about the best way to deal with these moves in the future. I've been clear that I'd really like to avoid altering the rules until the offseason (we can hold our own "GM Meetings", or whatever), but that doesn't mean we can't continue to talk about the issue of deliberate tanking. Clearly this is an issue that a lot of you are very passionate about, and I don't want you to feel that I'm ignoring your concerns. I just hope that we can either find a short-term solution that isn't too intrusive, and/or something we can implement in the off-season that teams have time to adjust for.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
I feel a bit ashamed for not catching this until now, but seeing as waiving Varlamov would put Chicago under the cap floor, I can't actually allow the move. I've talked to Dabeast about this and after seeing the reaction from other GMs, he has agreed that it's best to just hang on to Varlamov rather than make moves to try and waive him again. Due to this, I'm going to ignore the other goalies moves from yesterday as well.

Hopefully we can use this mess to continue our dialogue about the best way to deal with these moves in the future. I've been clear that I'd really like to avoid altering the rules until the offseason (we can hold our own "GM Meetings", or whatever), but that doesn't mean we can't continue to talk about the issue of deliberate tanking. Clearly this is an issue that a lot of you are very passionate about, and I don't want you to feel that I'm ignoring your concerns. I just hope that we can either find a short-term solution that isn't too intrusive, and/or something we can implement in the off-season that teams have time to adjust for.

Don't worry @Intoewsables, you're doing a fantastic job. First year games will always have their ups and downs, especially keeper/dynasty leagues. Discussion, feedback, and adjustments will help improve the game over time. Like most, I've been more active and eager about this hockey season mainly because of this game. Keep up the good work Intoews!

donut

Sep 5, 2012
:bolts

Updated Trading Block (as of 10/11)

Shopping:
Max Jones, Nathan Bastian, 2019 Draft picks
Available: Brendan Gallagher, Jesse Puljujarvi, Tucker Poolman
Looking For: Upgrade in Back-up Goalie, NHL forwards capable of getting 30+ pts, Offensive D-men

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida
Don't worry @Intoewsables, you're doing a fantastic job. First year games will always have their ups and downs, especially keeper/dynasty leagues. Discussion, feedback, and adjustments will help improve the game over time. Like most, I've been more active and eager about this hockey season mainly because of this game. Keep up the good work Intoews!
Yeah, one time I was in a league where the commish ghosted on everyone for 2 weeks!

Reactions: Weylspin and donut

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
WAIVERS: The Arizona Coyotes have placed D Mark Streit on waivers and assign him to the AHL.

RECALL: The Arizona Coyotes have recalled D Calle Rosen from the minors.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
:stars trade block:
LW Nick Ritchie
LW Nikolay Goldobin
D Esa Lindell
2018 BUF 1st
G Cory Schneider
LW Michael Mersch
RW Spencer Foo

Hit me up; here’s the HFVHL server discord that has a good 25+ members for active trade talks: https://discord.gg/UJMN6Fb

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Trading block.
Drew doughty

Wants: Starting goalie

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
TRADES:
To DET:
Jesse Puljujarvi
To TBL: Sonny Milano, Gustav Forsling, Conditional 2018 SJ 4th (if Puljujarvi scores 20 or more points in the 2017-18 season, the pick changes to BUF’s 2018 2nd)

To DAL: Tucker Poolman
To TBL: Leo Komarov, Griffen Molino, Pascal Laberge

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabeast and donut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad